Recording Software

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by bradyman, Mar 22, 2011.

1. bradyman

bradyman Electromatic

Dec 31, 2008
    Alabama
    Greetings All!
    I noticed on another post that some of you are into recording. I would like to try recording on my laptop - guitar, bass, vocals, etc. What software-interface would you recommend for someone just starting out. Simple, I like simple.

2. Fox Rox

Fox Rox Gretschie

Nov 8, 2009
    Waterloo, ON
    Do you have a PC or a Mac?

3. RockabillyGlenn

RockabillyGlenn Electromatic

Feb 8, 2011
    Portsmouth UK
    Magix Music Studio Deluxe - I think they're called Magix Samplitude Music Maker now.

I've been using this software for several years now, because it's easy to use, with a nice graphical mixing desk - keeps me in touch with the traditional physical aspect of a desk!:D
    Plenty of effects built in - some very good, some not so, but for less than £50 RRP for the lowest spec version, (still more than sufficient for home recording), you can't go wrong.

You can also record tracks simultaneously, add DSP and other effects to the library etc etc.

Oh yes, it's PC only......I think.

Check it out!;)

4. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If you have a Mac, the built-in Garage Band program is an excellent place to start for free!

If you have a PC, the latest version of Audacity is freeware, and is a good place to start for experimenting.

5. Gros Ouaso

Gros Ouaso Country Gent

Apr 13, 2010
    Trois-Rivières
  6. Fox Rox

Fox Rox Gretschie

Nov 8, 2009
    Waterloo, ON
    If you have a Mac I also highly recommend GarageBand. It is very intuitive and powerful. I use an Apogee Duet as my interface.

7. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy
    Grage Band for ever, easy to use and it does almost everything you need for any recording at home.

8. jbcallender

jbcallender Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Anybody use Guitar Pro from Cakewalk?

9. Sharkblues

Sharkblues Country Gent

Aug 22, 2010
    Texas
    I have the same question. I HATE learning new software! It was fun in my 30's, but in my 50's, I just want to get the job done. I played around with Audacity for a while, didn't think it was that intuitive or documented (everything was noisy hisssss) so I went back to playing guitar instead of playing computer.

10. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    On PC, Reaper. Hands down. Significantly cheaper than Pro Tools, if you choose to pay for it, which isn't required...and contains most all of the features the average home recorder will actually use.

11. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    If you have a few dollars to spend, the preSonus fire studio mobile is a great way to go.

12. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    +1 to both of the above, great places to get started - no need to cough up for a ProTools system just yet ;)

13. stixthedrummer

stixthedrummer Electromatic

Feb 5, 2011
    hannibal, mo
    I've used Kristal on my computer as home as well. Free and not too tough to use at all.
    I'm no pro by a long shot, but it seems to have gotten the job done for me.

14. bradyman

bradyman Electromatic

Dec 31, 2008
    Alabama
  15. bradyman

bradyman Electromatic

Dec 31, 2008
    Alabama
    Fox Rox - I use a PC. Thanks for all the replies. I will check out the sites you have suggested.

16. c7ble

c7ble Gretschie

Apr 29, 2010
    Edinburgh
    I use riffworks as a writing tool and Cubase for serious recording

17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    If you outgrow Garage Band, Apple also makes Logic Express & Logic Pro. (They bought those two from another company whose name escapes me.)

18. beep.click

beep.click Country Gent

Apr 30, 2009
    California
    Emagic. I still have Logic 5 for PC.

19. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    I always use this program when I record. I haven't done it in years, but it is pro quality and it is free but they'd like you to donate a fee if you like it. It used to be only $70 or something but I don't know what it is now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.