Recommended Gretsch-Fuzz pairings?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by ABT79, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I actually prefer the Fuzz Tay on its own so although it is in my chain the Mystery Brain or Jr Barnyard/ElPescadoro are not on when it is. It is fun with the Spectrum.

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    run it at 12v and put your wah pedal AFTER it, and the atomic brain after that.. kinda noisy but some squawky Mick Ronson fun.

Outlaw and Bertotti like this.
  3. matmosphere

matmosphere Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    DC
    I’ve built dozens of fuzzes, and I’d recommend just trying as many as you can get your hands on with your rig. Carry the rig all to a good shop and try stuff.

I suspect a green or Black Russian muff will sound great with that cab. Tonebender mk ii or iii will probably be cool. Don’t discount something like a Fuzz Factory either though, I bet it could do some cool stuff with that setup.

and just buy a Rat, or a good four knob rat clone. It’s probably not the fuzz sound you want, but it will work really well with your current gear and fit in with the style you play

edit: If you want a super fuzz clone that is spot on and awesome check out Loe Sounds.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    larryr likes this.
  4. matmosphere

matmosphere Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    DC
    the guy who created the Foxx Tone Machine is actually the owner of Danelectro and has been since the nineties. That $30 French Toast pedal is just a FTM in a smaller box.

larryr likes this.
  5. Iansheridan1978

Iansheridan1978 Electromatic

Feb 19, 2021
    Surrey
    Donner fuzz seeker is cool for nasty octave fuzz...

6. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I doubt Ill find much use for any more gain if the fuzz is engaged. The Fluid Drive and the MB and EL Pesc preamps will most likely be off when the Fuzz Ray is engaged.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Probably because I'm not really a fuzz guy, I prefer it going into a dirty amp. Gives a creamier fuzz to my ear.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I set my amp up right past the edge of break up then apply the fuzz.

Henry likes this.
  9. ABT79

ABT79 Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    the hague
    yeah, so many interesting ideas!

10. ABT79

ABT79 Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    the hague
    Just to update: after reading all the comments here and looking at various options, I decided to start out by ordering a Fjord Fuzz ODIN. A guy named Daniel makes them in Norway and as I understand they are roughly based on Superfuzz type pedals, with a separate footswitch for the octave. They are made one at a time so I'll have to wait a few weeks before it arrives.
    If it ends up not working for me I'll sell it or gift it to a friend and then try some more 'conservative' options like Muffs, Pickles etc. Unfortunately the Nocturne stuff is hard to get in Europe, so that's not really an avenue for me to explore.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.