Recommended Gretsch-Fuzz pairings?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by ABT79, Apr 9, 2021.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    If I had some money to spend on a fuzz (that I don’t need), I’d go with this:
    6F23E3E1-ABE9-4475-9A88-6377BA9147C5.jpeg
    one of my friend just bought it and it’s fantastic with both my Broadtrons and my Ray Butts.

ABT79 and calebaaron666 like this.
  2. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    ...or, the Holy Grail.
    94912EF6-FD28-4DD5-8D46-8F48170367AA.jpeg
    Nothing comes even close to this box here.
    Too bad is in the 1000 dollars ballpark :D

Outlaw and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. Control67

Control67 Electromatic

Jan 6, 2021
    UK
    The
    designer of the Foxx Tone Machine worked for danelectro for a while in the early 00s, their mini pedal French Toast was one of his designs and is a clone of the TM. I have one, they are plenty cheap and despite being plastic, they’re reasonably solid. It sounds decent too.

ABT79 likes this.
  4. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    well - I generally love fuzz faces and similar circuits, since I find them to cover a lot of classic tones AND can be very versatile with the volume knob of the guitar.

Fireing some Hilos (but filters work great too, just a little different settings needed on the knobs) through a Fuzzface and some slapback is just gorgeous. I love to control the amount of fuzz / distortion with the volue knob and can get wonderfull in between tones with just a hair of dirt - very responsive.

And volume knob turned up hight (usually NOT to max, cause I find it sounds too mushy with most combinations) gives nice fuzz-crazyness for leads...

I can imagine tone benders (MK 1.5 or MKII) and Maestro FZ-1a style fuzzes might also be a lot of fun !!! ;)
    Fuzzy growls...
    jagROAR

ABT79 likes this.
  5. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Electromatic

Feb 17, 2010
    St. Louis
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Just looked this up to see how many people turn to The Big Muff, because I was starting to feel like maybe it was just a 90s thing......turns out it’s pretty much always been there....I’ve always loved that solo in Goodbye to Love!
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_users.html

ABT79 and matmosphere like this.
  7. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Adding some sound samples for your comparison. Hope it is helpful in some way.
    It was through Tavo that I became addicted to Fuzzrites. Thanks Tavo. I have been through multiples of fuzz types over the years. And multiples of makes. Faces,benders,octaves,muffs,rats, colorsound overdrivers, Silicons, Ges, on and on, ad infinitum. When I came to play Gretsch guitars I tried out Fuzzrites. I Got Hooked !Being fickle and probably OCD/bi polar with regards to pedals I am constantly buying and flipping various models but I would put Tavos fuzzes on the top shelf when it comes to Fuzzrites and bc108 Fuzzes. Here are three clips of fuzzrites and also a Fuzz Ray in real time applications. Your mileage may vary but in the first clip what I love about Fuzzrites is how the harmonic feedback blooms so well on stage, and also the same in the 3rd clip towards the end.

1st clip , fuzzrite -GE style made by Ghastly Ones/D67Audio.Feedback comes in at the end. Gretsch 3161 Cat Eye, Marshall 30 watt Plexi clone, Celestion g12-65 speakers, TV Jones Supertron and Magnatron pickups, phone camera mic :

Next: same guitar, with a Nocturne Brain Fuzz Ray , occasional old Ibanez CSL Chorus, 63 Showman into 1x12 tone ring cab:
    https://www.reverbnation.com/mercuryfuturegrade/song/27761615-sunday-wheelies

Last fuzz , Gretsch 3161, twin reverb, Nocturne Brain V1 El Fabuloso Seltzerado fuzzrite , 57 mic, into pro tools. The fuzz starts at 1:36 in if you want to skip ahead:

ABT79, j.s.c and Tele295 like this.
  8. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    ^I like the Fuzz Ray best. Damn , gotta give Tavo more of my money I guess.
    The fuzzrite and the El Fab are a little to close to the sounds I get with my one knob Colorsound clone.

Merc and Bertotti like this.
  9. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I can always play my Pro Jet w T Armonds .

10. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Just an fyi, the Seltzerado is also a fuzzrite. A very GOOD fuzzrite. You can't go wrong with a Fuzz Ray either. Both very good.

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Have both, heck, I have two Fuzz Ray’s! I absolutely hated pedal fuzz until I got these. These two fuzz pedals will not be displaced.

Merc and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  12. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I just went ahead and bit the bullet for a Fuzz Ray.
    More than I'd really like to spend for a fuzz but Tavo always delivers the tone and the build quality so its kinda a no brainer.
    I'm like 90% of the way to an all Nocturne board, lol.
    Theres only 2 more kinds of pedals I want.
    1. Something in the Rotary/Harm Trem/Univibe family.
    2. A better envelope filter.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a source audio spectrum which is a lot of fun but if you really want a supercharged envelope filter look at the C4 synth. You could get what you want out of either. Hours of fun.

Pine Apple Slim likes this.
  14. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    How is the C4 triggered? with picking velocity like an auto wah or with a knob or setting like a synth? I have an EXH Blurst that does great filter sweeps but its not sensitive to picking intensity, its more like a synth with no patch between key velocity and the filter.

edit: Took a look at both. The C4 is probably more than I need. I have some real synths that I can use for the synth stuff. The Spectrum seems more to my speed, tho I really dont need the distortion aspect.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Bertotti likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I only have the spectrum and use it as an auto wah. Settings are very versatile I use whatever lets picking intensity make it work.

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well there's nothing unique about Fuzz and Gretsch imo.
    Any pedal that sounds good with any humbucker guitar will sound good with a filtertron Gretsch.
    Much more important is what amp you match it with.

There's 100's of fuzz pedals - many are too mid's heavy and don't cut thru band mixes well.
    Many get weird too early in their gain range and are not particularly useful.
    Many are very noisy when you crank the gain.
    Many have poor buffers and are tone suckers when turned off.

Experiment and find the flavour you like :D

DennisC, Henry, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    the amp IS key, you are correct.
    One reason I made the Fuzz Ray. Since the gain in its circuit is maxed out and tied to the output volume, its your amp level that decides the textured response along w the guitar's volume. The internal trim pot can be adjusted as well depending on your use of a filtertrons or single coils. My focus was w filters, and using 12v pushes more guitar through if you arent after a strong Fuzz suit but would rather have a fur sweater.
    The only fuzz I've ever own that I found versatile is the Fulltone '69 but even that is great or bunk sounding, depending on your amp. Here is a man of the Voodoo spitting bars of wizdom about using a fuzzface in correlation to your guitar. Beware though.. a lousy strat is involved, guard yourself. Take the children in the house.

ABT79, Merc and Waxhead like this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Sweet... report back on the Nocturne Fuzz Ray. It’s got the looks, I’d assume it’s got the goods in the fuzz too!

I also dig the Elvis looking Jungle Room Panthers used for back drops.

22DC2B8E-4BB1-4D2A-88F0-09321C46BF2E.jpeg

19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Cool!
    Please let us know how the Fuzz Ray treats you.
    I had one briefly, but I didn’t work hard enough in dialing it in, and wanted to sell it to fund another Nocturne Fluid Drive, cuz I foolishly sold my first one.
    :confused:

20. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I plan to go:
    Guitar>Fuzz Ray>Fluid Drive>Mystery Brain>El Pesc.
    I might stick a compressor and/or some kind of modulation or filter between the Fuzz and the Fluid Drive, depending on need.
    The preamps on the MB and El Pesc plus the Fuzz and Fluid Drive should provide ample gain combinations.
    Ill put a tuner somewhere after the fuzz or just use a headstock clip on.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.