Recommendations on AMP for home PC recording

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Paulie26, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Hi,

I would love to know peoples opinions on amps for recording directly onto a PC.
    I guess i'm looking for something thats easy to use!

I was thinking of the Fender Superchamp 2

2. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Boss Katana. You can get into the editor and tweak a lot of things. Look for an amp that has an emulated cabinet out. I was impressed with the Orange CR35 not only playing through it loudly but also going into a DAW. They are crazy affordable. In my experience it takes some additional tweaking to get good recorded tones from an amp’s line out.

pmac11 and Paulie26 like this.
  3. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Fender Mustang GTX 100 comes with the foot switch. Has all the connection outputs you need and a very friendly editor as well as a boat load of amps, cabs and effects.

BCRatRod73 and Paulie26 like this.
  4. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Thanks.

Yes, the Fender Mustang GTX looks good and easy to use.

Maybe the Superchamp is outdated

5. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I owned a Mustang GT100 and it was a great...until the novelty wore off about 6 months later. It had some great sounds in the box. The '65 Twin and the Bassman models were worth the price of admission. If one were to keep it solely for studio use it is a great tool to have all the amps and effects at your fingertips. Being able to bluetooth changes from your phone or tablet is a plus.

Playing through it as an amp though? Eh. I always felt like I was playing a computer sim instead of the real thing. It just lacked something to the sound. The emulated XLR out to the PA was a really nice touch and I wish all amps had the emulated XLR out as a standard feature. Just makes thing so much easier.

During my ownership of the GT100 I bought a Katana 100. I put a bass speaker in the Mustang GT100 and gave it to my bass player. The Katana is the better option for live playing in my opinion.

The Superchamp is not outdated. It has the Fender software to make changes. It has a line out but not emulated as far as I know. For playing live it's a much better tone result than the Mustang.
    When the new GTX first came out I emailed a Fender rep and asked him specifically what had changed between the GT and the GTX. I was hoping for a doubling of RAM and processors. If that had been the case I would have bought one. I won't share the saved email but I can tell you they basically tweaked a few things, but it was not a major overhaul to the GT generation. Adding RAM and processors would possibly take sales away from their Tonemaster series if the GTX were too good.

As it is though? A GTX is a great way for a kid starting out to experience many different amps. As a convenient studio tool it really shines there. Very handy and convenient.

Paulie26 likes this.
  6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb.
    Cable straight out of the DI on back of amp into interface into PC/laptop.
    You can set the built in attenuator to a low wattage so it still sounds killer but won’t blow your ear drums or upset your neighbours if recording at home..

7. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    I had a Superchamp X2 and liked it. Had? Well, I traded it to buy my Gretsch. ( I already had 2 other amps. ) I would actually consider buying another one. I did not use the line out however, I used a mic in front of the cabinet. The amp was in the bathroom and the setup had a nice sound to it. The Superchamp X2 also was a nice amp when back in the days when we could play out.

Paulie26 and BCRatRod73 like this.
  8. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I really like the Tonemasters but have yet to play one. A friend of mine has Sliverface era examples of the real deals of both amps. Great amps period.
    As much as I want a Tonemaster Twin I have this other option in the same price ballpark for a single 12" amp by the name of Roland Blues Cube Artist. The ability to put in Robben Ford's Dumble capsule is so enticing.

Can't go wrong with either option but for me I'd take the BCA. Maybe one day I'll have both.

Paulie26 and Trash Kidd like this.
  9. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Paulie26 likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Also consider something with a USB output so you can go directly to the computer. My mixer has a USB out so it'll handle anything I can feed into it.

Medium John, Tadhg, audept and 2 others like this.
  11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    You've got to take a look at the Fender Mustang LT-25.
    It's cheap at only $150US.
    It's got over 130 presets built into it with slots to save 60 more.
    It has an input for a CD/MP3 player (to play along with) and a USB output that plugs into your PC.
    It has something like 30 amps built in and an amazing number of pedals and effects (and not just Fender).

One of the best features is the Tone software that gives you a graphic interface on your PC to mod and play with all the features.
    I love that it lets you try everything and learn about the amps and effects without spending a fortune on gear. Every amp or box you select is controllable by clicking on the knobs/switches and changing them.
    I can't overstress how important the Tone software is. It gives you a visual you can relate to and remember, instead of just words next to a knob.

Tony does the best demo of the new features that I've seen:
    Edit: Most reviews are old and outdated, last spring Fender upgraded the firmware. Original configuration was 30 presets with another 20 hidden, now 30 presets plus another 30 empty slots then another 100 presets in another area. You can choose a preset, mod it and save it with a new name.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Paulie26 likes this.
  12. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Thanks so much.
    The Mustang looks very interesting and more versatile than the Superchamp

13. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Thanks

14. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Marshall Code25. With it's particle board cabinet and a cheap stock speaker it sounds like warm garbage in the room. But it records really really well with the line out. Regret selling mine.

Paulie26 likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you want something that does not also function as a full amp, strymon iridium. I am considering it for quiet playing and traveling.

Paulie26 likes this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    From my recent experience I would really recomment the Positive Grid Spark to you. It comes with a cool recording software, the interface is great, big sound-cloud rescource to get lots of useable sounds from, lots of learning software and you can use it as a boom box. Comes super cheap. Check it out.

Paulie26 likes this.
  17. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Just thought about another option in pedal form: The SansAmp Classic. Never tried one but I've only heard good things about them. They are out of production as far as I know. Check Reverb or ebay.
    Behringer makes a clone of that pedal called the GDI-21. I have the TM300 pedal. TM stands for Tube Modeler. I think some usable tones can be had plugged directly into a console then into a computer, but some tweaking in the DAW will be required.
    Where this pedal shines though is putting it in front of your amp or through the FX loop. It sounds so good.
    Look into the GDI-21 or TM300. The GDI-21 has an XLR out, where the TM300 does not.

They might be what you're looking for and they aren't expensive at all.

Paulie26 likes this.
  18. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

See if this is any help . I own 2 of these , the thr10c, 10 watts, and the newer thrII which is 20 watts .

Paulie26 and Stefan87 like this.
  19. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul Electromatic

Sep 18, 2020
    New York
    I use a Fractal AX8, all the amps and cabs I need.

pmac11 and Paulie26 like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    You don't care about the recording quality?
    Only want user friendly?

Paulie26 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.