Recommendations for 12 string effect?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by YourBlueRoom, Dec 15, 2020.

1. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Any opinions on the best pedal to get an authentic electric 12 string sound? The Digitech Mosaic looks pretty nice but I know there are others out there and I'm too lazy to do all the research ;)

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Get an electric 12 string.

3. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks, I have one.

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    There's probably something out there somewhere that I'm not aware of.....but the ones I've heard in the past never sounded particularly authentic (to me).....I think your best bet, since you already have one, is to use an actual 12 string.

Dave Murray likes this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Or get a double neck? Or an on-stage stand that holds the 12 string in a playing position so you can switch to that guitar on the fly. And a looper pedal for it... more gear than you wanted to take to the gig, I know.

but doing the research is half the fun!

That Mosaic seems to be one of the few that claims to simulate a 12 string. There are some other polyphonic octave generators, EHX POGs for example, that can do sub and high octaves, but not exactly oriented to the 12 string sound.

might be able to do a 12 string with a stick on Roland MIDI pickup and synth?

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    This is just a suggestion, we had an issue when the bridge came flying off my son's 12-string, (No it was not the Gretsch Falcon Rancher, that was purchased later).

We were under a deadline to finish the 12-string accompaniment, we used a Nashville 6 string with a loop pedal, and a 6 string dreadnought playing along. It was very hard to tell that it was not played on a 12 string. What I was told when we purchased the Nashville high strung, this was the original intention. Whether this is true or not, this did work for us.

GlenP and new6659 like this.
  7. db62

db62 Synchromatic

Apr 6, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    You can check out the TC Electronic Sub N Up which does 2 octaves down and one up and I think the newly released Boss OC-5 also does 2 down and one up, with the one up supposedly getting that 12 string vibe.

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I've often thought about getting a double neck , just to have the versatility of a 6 and 12 together . But like @englishman once said to me in a post a long long time ago ....people expect you to be some sort of a guitar vertuoso . I also thought it would be a project to change strings as the " inside tuners " are too close to get a string winder in there .....
    @YourBlueRoom , I had a Mosaic 12 string Simulater pedal once ... like I said , once ...meh . Like @wabash slim said , get a 12 ...even tho you have one . I've got 3 and each has it's own voice .

mrfixitmi and GlenP like this.
  9. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    We had a Mosaic 12 string simulator, and maybe we were not using properly, but all we could get was a glorified chorus, so IMHO, meh is accurate.

In response to the double neck, we have an Ovation double neck 6/12 and it is a beast. We took it in on a trade, and it does play well, we used it for pit work in the Phantom of the Opera where the key changes are immediate. Using two necks made it possible. The nice thing with the Ovation is that you can have both necks live, so it you can go back and forth without flipping any switches. If it weren't so heavy, we would probably use it more.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Just thinking about a double neck makes my back hurt. A pedal that 'supposedly' replicates a different instrument rarely does it well.

Dave Murray, Thass and thunder58 like this.
  11. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    TC Electronics Sub 'N' Up. Comes in a regular and mini version. It is polyphonic and tracks well enough to play chords without detuning

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Gretschie

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    I had a mosaic, which was good but on the higher notes could octave the high e and b string. Ultimately, the novelty wore off.

Recently came into a Donner Harmonic Square, which is probably similar to the Sub n Up. Gets most of the Mosaic as a 12 string, but also creates a chorus effect and, even cooler, a bass vi. They are pretty cheap and far more versatile than I thought.

Groutsch, thunder58 and ZackyDog like this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    If you have an electric 12 string you will never happy with any of the pedals out there claiming to sound like a 12 string - been there done that.
    Some sound worse than others but none of them will impress you compared to the real thing. If you've never played a real electric 12 string a simulation pedal might work for a while but they all sound pretty phony compared to the real thing.
    I bought some of them and sold them within a week or two. They are largely a big waste of time and money.
    The closest I ever came to that sound was with my Line 6 Variax guitar - close but no prize. That went away and the Rick 12 string is still here...:D.

JangleBox, mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  14. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Are you trying to get a 12 string sound on a recording or live?

Double tracking standard and Nashville tuned guitars gives a really nice 12 string sound.

Shock, mrfixitmi and GlenP like this.
  15. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I have one on my board , fun little pedal

16. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Get a Variax.

ZackyDog, thunder58 and GlenP like this.
  17. Landshark2020

Landshark2020 Gretschie

Sep 4, 2020
    I have one of these and it sounds wonderful! KS20023418-front-xlarge.jpg download (5).png

SH61, new6659, mrfixitmi and 3 others like this.
  18. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    Danelectro makes some great sounding 12 strings in the $450-$550 range. Nice looking and the old 12 string jangle. Joe Walsh has an older one that new was about $600. You can find them on reverb for a lower price too.
    I have a Fender Strat 12 string as well as the Gretsch 12 string. Also an Epiphone 1275 double neck, an Ovation TX 12 string and an old Ovation Deacon 12 string which has a great sound.
    Pedal can be good but there's nothing like a real 12 string to get the sound.

GlenP and thunder58 like this.
  19. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Maybe it's just the way you worded it, but this comment intrigues me. Is there somebody out there selling a guitar specifically designed for Nashville tuning?

I've got an old Takamine that I strung up Nashville style and liked it so much I kept it that way for years. If I hadn't bought my Guild Jumbo 12 a couple years back, it'd still be that way.

It was a little odd for scales and soloing. You really gotta pay attention to where the octave jumps. But for chords and rhythm work, absolutely loved it.

I still keep a few sets of Nashville gauge strings on hand in case I get the urge to convert something else one of these days. If nothing else, it's just a fun thing to experiment with.

As far as the OP's original question goes, I think the problem there is the word "authentic". Pedals can get you in the ballpark, but I've never found one that's really 100% right. I'm assuming the goal is to have an "instant 12 string" for a single song or two in the middle of a set, without changing guitars. That's a tall order, wish I had a recommendation. You might have to compromise a bit on tone for the convenience of not swapping guitars.

Good luck with it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    mrfixitmi and GlenP like this.
  20. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just curious , what do you have

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.