Recommend a new bridge please...(I’ve done a lot of research)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Viking Power, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Clejmac

Clejmac Electromatic

Dec 24, 2020
    Cleveland
    Yes the Compton was a more snug fit but it was drop in. Outstanding bridge!

Jena likes this.
  2. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    How did you make out with the replacement bridge? I'm about to unload on a TruPros roller - I'd be interested to find out your choice. Thanks

Viking Power likes this.
  3. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    I was in your thread you posted today. I ended up with a relatively inexpensive All Parts roller bridge. Seems great to me though we’ll see if I feel that way after having it on for a few months.

4. Bamblebee

Bamblebee Electromatic

Dec 31, 2020
    USA
    Just picked up my first Gretsch, a new G5422TG in Walnut Stain, and I'm trying to decide on which bridge to upgrade to also. I'm kinda leaning towards the Compton, as I prefer the look of it, but it sounds like TruArc might be worth the extra cost. I'm kinda curious how the silver metals would look in conjunction with the gold hardware of this guitar though. I know it's just aesthetic, but it's still a consideration for me. Anyone got pics of their gold hardware Gretsch with another metal?

5. Skydog

Skydog Gretschie

Dec 19, 2014
    Indiana
    The Compton is available in brass.

6. Bamblebee

Bamblebee Electromatic

Dec 31, 2020
    USA
    Yeah, I saw that. I was more interested in seeing how the other metals looked with the gold hardware of my guitar in the event that I go with something other than brass. The described tonal characteristics of stainless and aluminum sound appealing to me.

I'm also curious of others' experience with intonation, specifically with 10's, on these pinned bridge guitars with something like a Compton or TruArc. I know I had to do a bit of adjusting of the stock tuneomatic when I swapped the 11's that came on it for 10's, which was to be expected, but I know that is not an option with a bar bridge. I'm planning on experimenting with an 18wound g string, so that might take care of potential intonation issues if I stick with that setup. If I go back to a plain g string though, should I expect it to be a little off with a bar bridge?

7. Skydog

Skydog Gretschie

Dec 19, 2014
    Indiana
    I wouldn't think so. Wayne asks for your string gauge when ordering. I put a Compton on my 5420 strung with 11’s, unwound G and it intonated perfectly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.