Recommend a new bridge please...(I’ve done a lot of research)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Viking Power, Jan 9, 2021.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Un-Pinning the bridge means to REMOVE the 2 "pins" (they are actually Allen screws), that hold the wood base in place. This makes the bridge truly "floating". But, it also means you have to re-set the intonation every time you change strings because the bridge will move (or come off). Some people use double-stick tape to prevent that from happening, but what's the point in that, if you already have a pinned bridge?

Pinned bridges are good. Bar bridges with inexact intonation are not. This is why I like standard adjustable bridges. I had a bar bridge for years (a Compton), and of course my Hot Rod is pinned, thank goodness.

This is why, with bar bridges, "custom" is good because string gauge matters to intonation. Even then, the Compton wasn't perfect. It was "good enough for rock and roll", but not good enough for jazzy chords up the neck (not for my ear anyway). So I had the stock rattler LOL, went to a Compton for many years and was happy with it, now have a TonePros and that's the end for me... no rattles, perfect intonation.

2. StillHollow

StillHollow Electromatic

Dec 9, 2020
    Virginia
    Thank Ruger, I bought a roller bridge that looks just like the Tone Pros but a bit cheaper. I don't know if some of the funny resonance I am getting on the unwound strings is due to it being cheap or whether the shallower string angle now that I have the Biggs Fix installed is part of the issue.

I was playing up higher and sliding octaves up the neck were a bit out of tune so may have some work to do on the saddles.

I don't have the wooden piece on my bridge like others do. Can those be bought and easily added?

Viking Power likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Do you mean you have metal studs the bridge sits on? If so, no you can't change that to a wooden bridge base. Not without major surgery. Gretsches have 2 styles- metal studs (most notably in the Players Series) and wooden base (most notably in the Vintage Selects). Each is what it is- they can't be easily changed to the other. Also, I'm guessing the models with wooden bases have steeper neck angles, because those bridges are usually higher.

4. StillHollow

StillHollow Electromatic

Dec 9, 2020
    Virginia
    Ok, gotcha. Yes, I have metal studs in mine so I guess it stays stock.

I just ordered a string set with a very light wound 3rd (0.18) and will see if that helps. I can deal with the B and E strings because it's minimal but the G is bad. I don't want to spend for a more expensive bridge at this time since I got laid off back in April due to Corona and have only recently been working again.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The G being bad is common. There is a trick for that, I even had to do it on my Tonepros, IF your bridge allows it: you remove the G saddle itself, and flip it around. Let me see if I can get a decent pic for you...

Not sure if you can tell in the pic, but the EAD saddles face one way, and the GBE saddles face the other way. But I flipped my G saddle around so it now looks like the EAD saddles. That is a trick in getting the G to intonate properly.

IMG_1016.jpg

StillHollow likes this.
  6. SJ1

SJ1 Electromatic

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    33.jpg
    I like Compton bridges

Outlaw, G5422T, Clejmac and 1 other person like this.
  7. StillHollow

StillHollow Electromatic

Dec 9, 2020
    Virginia
    Thanks for letting me know about the saddle trick Ruger! I can't do that since I swapped out to a roller bridge but I will do that on any other axe I have with the TOM that may require that.

SJ1, that Compton looks amazing! Maybe I can put it on the Christmas list.

8. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    68B68CF2-A4E5-401D-8573-D2A337543B5E.jpeg Hi, when it comes to bridge type stuff I’m a complete novice. This is my new G5655tg. Could someone please explain to me what is wrong with this bridge or how it could be improved?
    Sorry if this was covered already

Thanks

StillHollow likes this.
  9. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    As long as it intonates properly (which I'm sure it does), there's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't need to be "improved". Does it rattle when you play? If not, you're good to go.

Please keep in mind, when people on guitar forums start talking about "upgrades", most times they are not because something is faulty or crappy, it's usually just because we like messing with stuff... like people used to like hot-rodding cars. It's fun. Most "up"grades are really just "sideways"grades LOL... that cost more money.

new6659, StillHollow and Paulie26 like this.
  10. StillHollow

StillHollow Electromatic

Dec 9, 2020
    Virginia
    Ruger9 is spot on. In my case I was experiencing significant tuning issues and I didn't like the stiff feel of the Bigsby. One roller bridge later, a BiggsFix Tuning Stabilizer and a squishier spring and things work much better.

If you feel there is nothing wrong don't change a thing.

Paulie26 likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's a great point, if you mod everything at once,it will be hard to tell what changes are attributable to the bridge.

Viking Power likes this.
  12. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Yes!

13. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Gretschie

Jul 23, 2012
    ca
    Double sorry. Been sick and didn't get back to you. Wrong info. I had read 5422. The 5622 should use a Tru Arc low rider. Check with Tim. Sorry again.

Viking Power likes this.
  14. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Thanks for all the help. Hope you’re feeling better.

I’ve been working with Tim (who is awesome!) and I have a TruArc stainless low rider in the way!

MyGirlGretta likes this.
  15. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Gretschie

Jul 23, 2012
    ca
    Nice. Congrats. I've been wanting to try out a stainless. Make sure you give us your impressions.

Viking Power likes this.
  16. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Will do!

MyGirlGretta likes this.
  17. Skydog

Skydog Gretschie

Dec 19, 2014
    Indiana
    Clejmac, was that a drop-in?

18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats! I'm sure the Tru Arc will be great.

For posterity, Compton has worked out great on my last gen 5620, same on my similarly fixed post 5655-TCB, FWIW:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Might be a bit of a dice roll on a guitar to guitar basis, but on those 2 the Comptons have allowed intonation every bit as solid as on my floating bridge Gretsches w/ the biggest measured variance being around .5 cent in either camp.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Viking Power likes this.
  19. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    After all has been said and done, my luthier convinced me to go with an All Parts roller bridge so I’m getting one of those instead. Thanks again for all the help and opinions. We’ll see how this goes.

20. Melsden

Melsden Electromatic

Jan 7, 2021
    Colorado
    Installed yesterday on my Duffy Falcon. Tim Harman at Tru-Arc was wonderful to deal with.

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

MyGirlGretta and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.