Recommend a new bridge please...(I’ve done a lot of research)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Viking Power, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Clejmac

Clejmac Electromatic

Dec 24, 2020
    Cleveland
    This is the initial information I sent him

"I have a 2020 Gretsch G5422TG and I am interested in ordering a Compton chambered brass bridge. My bridge base stud post spacing is 2.9”, fretboard radius is 12”, string spacing from E to E is 2.0” and my preferred string gauge is 11-49."

He had it in stock!

Viking Power likes this.
  2. Clejmac

Clejmac Electromatic

Dec 24, 2020
    Cleveland
    Are you measurements different?

Viking Power likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Tru-Arc Serpentune comes in both plain-G and wound-G intonation versions. I have them in both Titanium & Brass.
    6137TCB mods 008.JPG

Jena, Viking Power and G5422T like this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, I've had a few Serpentunes. Like them too.

20191107_122833.jpg

Stainless steel, 9.5" radius, plain "G."

5. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    I don’t think so. I don’t have a good ruler and have to rely on a carpenters tape but do believe my measurements are the same.

6. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  7. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

I think I have the same 5622T as yours. Mine was 2017 and comes with the SHT pickups. When I was looking at replacing the bridge, I found the neck radius was listed as 320mm. Testing it against a 305mm (12") template indeed showed it to be slightly flatter. I notice the 3rd Gen version, made in China, has reverted back to 305mm (12"). This put me off ordering a standard 12" Tru-arc or Compton. I believe both will do custom orders but before I considered going down that route I read a couple of posts from folks who were pleased with an ABM 2400 in their 5622's.

Yes, not cheap but a quality piece. Very simple to install. Simply loosened the strings, removed the old bridge and dropped the ABM into place. It's secured by tightening a couple of screws on the side. Had to adjust the height to lower the action by winding down the screws on the mounting as it's deeper than the stock TOM. Noticeable improvement in sound quality. Tighter and more defined base. No noise from the bridge and a marked reduction in string breakage.

I don't know exactly why but I was forever breaking strings with the original set-up. This included the heavier wound gauges which I've never broken before. They always went at the bridge saddle. I think it was a combination of what looked like quite sharp saddles on the TOM in conjunction with the tension bar Bigsby. Longevity has markedly improved with the ABM's roller design.

I've stayed with the 10's the 5622 came fitted with but may switch to 11's to match the ones on my Annie.

8. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    I don’t know where you found them at. But the ones I’ve found through the interwebs were all 50-70$ the ABM-2400 is coming up at 120$

Viking Power likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Tru arc will work. The maker has/had a 5622 and at one point had a video of it.

Here it is.

Viking Power likes this.
  10. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    That’s a strong case for the ABM-2400. Thanks for sharing that.

11. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    StewMac has them for $95 so figured that was the going rate. I do see that they can be found for less on Reverb. Thanks!

12. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    My guitar is the next version of that. Apparently my neck is a weird radius. Also my bridge is fixed not rocking.

13. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Thanks again everybody.
    Based on feedback here and affordability, I’ve ordered a TonePros TPFR. I’ll update with my results after I get it and install it. You guys all rock!

ruger9 and G5422T like this.
  14. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Update: told by Reverb seller that the TonePros TPFR will not fit a G5622T. He cancelled my order and refunded me. Ugh!

The search continues and I may just have to bite the bullet and pay the money for a custom Tru-Arc.

I would have never guessed that this guitar was such a special unicorn.

15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Tonepros should have measurements on their site- you should be able to tell which model, if any, will work.

Another route would be to buy another bridge assembly- with the wood base- that has a measurement you KNOW is the same as whatever bridge you want. Then just replace the bridge with the one you want (using the wooden base). I did that with an Epiphone Broadway several years ago.

Viking Power likes this.
  16. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Thanks. Appreciate the advice.

I don’t know what I’m going to do at this point. Might just stick with the stock POS bridge and hope a luthier can get rid of the rattling (and use the nail polish trick someone suggested as well).

I think it’s possible I’m spending way too much energy and money on a middle of the road Gretsch.

At this point I just want to get my new pickups delivered, take them and the biggsfix into the luthier, get it all installed and a good setup done so I can play it.

ruger9 likes this.
  17. 850special

850special Electromatic

May 1, 2018
    PA
    TruArc was well worth the wait and coin.

Henry, MyGirlGretta and Viking Power like this.
  18. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Well, perhaps the wait will justify the coin as it will have some time separation from the upgrades I’m doing now. Thinking of my mentality on it but more importantly the CFO of the house. Haha.
    I’m going to keep working with Tim and get one of his TruArcs. The hell with it!

Thanks for the nudge!

MyGirlGretta and G5422T like this.
  19. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Gretschie

Jul 23, 2012
    ca
    You can unpin your bridge like I did with my Tru Arc. I can't say enough great things about Tim and his work.

^^^ You won't regret it. That bridge has the single greatest impact. Overall, the blacktops are great pickups. People like myself go for TVs because there is a specific tone we are chasing - not because the blacktops sound poor like the Gretschbuckers did.

Viking Power likes this.
  20. StillHollow

StillHollow Electromatic

Dec 9, 2020
    Virginia
    I have the same exact guitar as well so am dealing with all the same issues. By unpin your bridge do you mean no longer use the post holes drilled into the body and just a wooden base bridge like the TruArc? My apologies for my ignorance but I am a Gretsch newbie and am trying to learn as much as I can from all you experts.

Viking Power likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.