Recommend a new bridge please...(I’ve done a lot of research)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Viking Power, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Hey Gretsch Brethren!

I have read maybe all the threads on the interwebz regarding bridge upgrades. I know who the typical top choices are though I’m still unsure. On top of that I have a BricksBiggsFix that I’ll be putting on in short order and am wondering what bridge would work best with it. If you have any suggestions I’d sure appreciate it!

guitar- 2018 G5622T MIK

I’ve looked at Compton, but when I reached out was told that they wouldn’t work for my guitar.
    I’ve reached out to Tru-arc and am waiting to find out if one of those might work.
    I’ve considered the ABM-2400 but it’s a bit ridiculous in price in my opinion.
    TVJones has a recommendation on their website under their FAQ’s section. It’s this one: GB-0520 VINTAGE ABR-1 STYLE TUNEMATIC BRIDGE from All Parts. This is at least less expensive and having the recommendation from TVJones means a lot. However, this seems a lot like the stock bridge so is it just a way to throw away $40+ tax and shipping?

My complaint about my current setup is all of the rattling that goes on. I hate it. My other guitars don’t do this and I’d like to get closer to them with the Gretsch.

Do I even really need a different bridge?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

~Jason

EDIT: Thanks again everybody.
    Based on feedback here and affordability, I’ve ordered a TonePros TPFR. I’ll update with my results after I get it and install it. You guys all rock!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm partial to bar bridges. Simplicity that really works well IMO.

My preference is Tru-Arc.

20200625_170113.jpg 20200212_114521.jpg

Best of luck and enjoy your git.

3. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Thanks for the quick response!
    Those bar bridges sure are purdy and seems like they wouldn’t have anything to rattle.

G5422T likes this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Nothing but pure tone!

Viking Power likes this.
  5. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Do the G5422T’s come with a fixed bridge?

6. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    If you are looking for a roller bridge I like my Tone pro’s TPFR. More than likely you have 6mm bridge posts. So it should fit.

ZackyDog and Viking Power like this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm not sure about the latest versions.

I have a '12 G5422T, and it has a floating bridge/base like a lot of the Prolines of that time.

8. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    I’ll take a look. If I remember right it is more reasonably priced than the ABM-2400. Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, it’s not much less expensive. Sigh.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  9. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    I see. My 2018 G5622T has a fixed base and I think that’s where I have a problem with going to a bar bridge. The intonation doesn’t work with that combo or at least that’s what my research is telling me but I had a bit of hope for Tru-arc working.

10. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    @Viking Power: If your main issue is the rattles, go to a dollar store and pick up a bottle of cheap clear nail polish. Once your intonation is set, carefully put a droplet of nail polish on each of the moving parts - springs, saddle adjustment screw threads, and springs. That should quiet things down until you make a final decision on a replacement. The original bridge on my 5420 was buzzy junk, as was the crap-o-magic on my Double Jet. The nail polish trick worked well at quieting them down, however.

Comptons on both of them now....

(Edited to add that I also have a Biggsfix on the Jet. Great solution to break angle issues!)

new6659 and Viking Power like this.
  11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Tim at Tru-Arc can set you up. Several options.

Viking Power likes this.
  12. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    If intonation up the neck is important to you, you'll likely need an ABR-1/Nashville type, with adjustable saddles... I had a Compton for years, loved it, but started playing more jazz chords up the neck and needed more accurate intonation, got a TonePros (I got the AVR2P, with notched saddles), and couldn't be happier. Perfect intonation, no rattles.

Viking Power likes this.
  13. Clejmac

Clejmac Electromatic

Dec 24, 2020
    Cleveland
    Resized_PART_1609815212660_Resized_20210104_215301001.jpeg
    I am very happy with a brass chambered Compton I put on my G5422TG!

Outlaw, SJ1 and Viking Power like this.
  14. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Nice tip. Thanks!

15. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Thanks! I’m exchanging emails with him over the last few days so am hopeful.

16. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Thank
    Good to know. I’ll check that model out. I don’t have the most sensitive ear but do want solid intonation.

ruger9 likes this.
  17. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Fixed bridge or rocking?

18. Clejmac

Clejmac Electromatic

Dec 24, 2020
    Cleveland
    I have a 2020 with a secured bridge. I looked at the Compton web site, took the measurements needed and emailed Wayne. He had what I was looking for in stock. I purchased it, $90 with shipping, and he had it on the way the next business day.

Overall the bridge sounds much better, doesn't rattle, looks better, and tuning is now stable.

G5422T and Viking Power like this.
  19. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    So weird. When I emailed Wayne he told me he didn’t make one that would work for my guitar. So I figured I’d have to move on and find something else. Obviously, he knows his product but does leave me scratching my head a bit.
    Edit: reread his email. He says that because my guitar had the bridge studs set in the body at an angle it will not intimate properly.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.