Recently Discovered 1967 Gibson Guitars Factory Tour Documentary

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
Great video. Even though I know it's going to be the case, it's still amazing to see no PPE, and so few safety measures. I was cringing watching the guy run that neck shaping router with the large, sharp, spinning bit in the center of the table and no guards.

Also fascinating to see how dominant women were in the factory.

MotorCentaur

Synchromatic
May 11, 2016
Seattle
Great video. Even though I know it's going to be the case, it's still amazing to see no PPE, and so few safety measures. I was cringing watching the guy run that neck shaping router with the large, sharp, spinning bit in the center of the table and no guards.

Also fascinating to see how dominant women were in the factory.
Yeah the dual router/shaper blade machine was scary. Also the poor guy spraying lacquer without mask or and probably minimal ventilation.

Also it seemed really dark in there. I love Gibson guitars.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Yeah the dual router/shaper blade machine was scary. Also the poor guy spraying lacquer without mask or and probably minimal ventilation.

Also it seemed really dark in there. I love Gibson guitars.
Safety Third!

Many of old factories weren't big on safety or lighting. I worked in the old Studebaker plant for a year, and parts of it were downright dangerous. Freight elevator failed and a guy got killed when it fell five floors.
Another place I worked at had two people killed in four months. When a woman got impaled by a forklift almost in front of me, I was out of the building before the ambulance showed up for her. Guy got sprayed with molten pot metal from an injection moulder. They hauled him out screaming.
I got hired at a piano factory in Elkhart. I took ten steps into the factory, turned around and walked out, never to return. Building was over a century old, with creaky wooden floors. The waist deep piles of sawdust in the corners were bad enough, but the signs stating "Load Limit---100 Pounds per Square Foot" convinced me to leave.

Joe90

Synchromatic
Jul 6, 2014
Canada
I love these old docu-vids! Interesting on so many levels.

Of course my attention to insignificant details makes me wonder who this person was...

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.47.13 PM.png

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I love these old docu-vids! Interesting on so many levels.

Of course my attention to insignificant details makes me wonder who this person was...

View attachment 177619
That's just someone who worked at the photo processing plant, usually a secretary from the office or another employee. You'd see a woman's face at the beginning of many 16mm and 35mm films. They put it there to check the color finish of the print, hence the colored sections on either side of the lady's photo. It's similar to the color bars you'd see at the beginning of video tape. I've run projectors since before I was in first grade. I'm a retired IATSE projectionist/stagehand. I'd like to have a dollar for every frame of film I've squirted light thru over 60+ years.