Rearranging pedalboard, seeking advice!

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I say if you dont use it, lose it. My board has everything I use on it and nothing I don’t.
I had it in my head a few years ago to have every pedal I have on one big board that way if I wanted it it was there. In the end, no big board, no little board just a power supply and a couple pedals when I want and if I want something else one leaves and another comes in. Generally I don’t have more than two or three at any given time.

Having one or none isn’t uncommon.

Chmason85

Country Gent
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
I had it in my head a few years ago to have every pedal I have on one big board that way if I wanted it it was there. In the end, no big board, no little board just a power supply and a couple pedals when I want and if I want something else one leaves and another comes in. Generally I don’t have more than two or three at any given time.

I’m very minimal, I have two simple delays, reverb and tremolo, those cover everything I play

Irish-Jay

Electromatic
Silver Member
Jul 2, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I say if you dont use it, lose it. My board has everything I use on it and nothing I don’t.
I have three boards and a clean rig for that reason. Sometimes (think Sarah Lipstate), I just want to make some really cool and different sounds. It’s the same reason I have 28 guitars; they all sound different. If I want clean, I have a Benson Monarch tube amp with a pre-amp. I’m sure I would dig your useful board too! 👍🏻

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I have three boards and a clean rig for that reason. Sometimes (think Sarah Lipstate), I just want to make some really cool and different sounds. It’s the same reason I have 28 guitars; they all sound different. If I want clean, I have a Benson Monarch tube amp with a pre-amp. I’m sure I would dig your useful board too! 👍🏻
I have two Strats and I get a kick out of playing then than asking my wife how they sounded. She always tellls me they sound the same but I hear a distinct difference between the first Gen hot noiseless and the texmex Pups. I love having the choices.

I also didn’t realize how much fun multiple time basEd effects can be. The Carbon copy on the Mystery Brain loop and it’s effect. Cool tones to be had for sure!

Last edited:

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson

I have my Swiss Army Board, with one (or more) of every pedal I would ever want. I also have two smaller boards, and I use these 10:1 over the larger board. Honestly, reverb and delay are all I need. Chorus is nice, and I have it on every board, but it’s hardly a necessity.

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
So I rearranged my board into what seems to make the most sense, and I had so much extra space I moved the tuner to the back and added the compressor. I just tried it for the first time with my 6120 and I actually like it, so the overdrive left and I just moved all the stuff I actually turn on and off onto the prime real estate. I need to tidy up the wiring but I’m much happier with this!
View attachment 191028
I notice you have a TR2 Tremolo. I have one too and just discovered something. When I first got it I just assumed it should go into the FX loop but I found it sounded weak and especially demonstrated the notorious "apparent" drop in level when the pedal was on. Somebody wrote somewhere that it sounds better in the front end of the amp so I tried it there, first in line, before my overdrive pedals. Boy it really does sound better there. Now it's just like switching on the tremolo in a Fender amp. I can't really make out from the picture where your outputs are going and maybe you don't use an fx loop and have everything going into the front anyway but if not give the TR2 a try like that.
Edit: I see now that your amp is an AC15? So no FX loop. Well the Tremolo might still sound its best earlier in the chain.

Last edited:

Chmason85

Country Gent
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
I notice you have a TR2 Tremolo. I have one too and just discovered something. When I first got it I just assumed it should go into the FX loop but I found it sounded weak and especially demonstrated the notorious "apparent" drop in level when the pedal was on. Somebody wrote somewhere that it sounds better in the front end of the amp so I tried it there, first in line, before my overdrive pedals. Boy it really does sound better there. Now it's just like switching on the tremolo in a Fender amp. I can't really make out from the picture where your outputs are going and maybe you don't use an fx loop and have everything going into the front anyway but if not give the TR2 a try like that.
Edit: I see now that your amp is an AC15? So no FX loop. Well the Tremolo might still sound its best earlier in the chain.
I love the TR2! And yeah, I’ve got a handwired Vox AC15, but even so I’ve never used effects loops before. Per the advice of a few people on this thread I moved the tremolo after the reverb so it’s like a fender amp layout. I initially had the tremolo right after the tuner, but now I’ve got buffered pedals at the beginning and end of the chain. Funny enough now that I’m using the compressor I find that I need to dial in the tremolo to be a little more intense since it seems to slightly want to fight with the compressor, but only a bit.

The order I have is tuner into compressor and then down to the front row straight from right to left.

bubblyah

Synchromatic
Jan 17, 2010
Calgary,Alberta
I need advice on arrangement. I'm gonna start out by saying I've gotten use to instant gratification with my set up where I can plug any guitar and and I don't need to change my set up everything is perfect. I just bought a Gibson ES-335. It's bright and uncompressed. So very dynamic. Every time I hit the low e everyone within a certain proximity is ducking for cover and heading for the basement. I know I have to learn a new way of setting up my gear. I was told that I should move my compressor to the effect loop and try that to even thing out. My G5126 doesn't react in this manor. Plus my guitar it bright with big bottom end with the t-type pickups. I'm also playing through a Friedman runt 50 with is also bright. Do you guys think the switch to a compressor in the loop will even out the low end and tame the highs a bit. It's a lot of work to take apart my board and recable to switch the voltage if I have to go back. I have my set as so whammy,wah,comp,octive,od,distortion noise gate,In the loop I have chorus, flange, delay,reverb. thanks in advance.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I need advice on arrangement. I'm gonna start out by saying I've gotten use to instant gratification with my set up where I can plug any guitar and and I don't need to change my set up everything is perfect. I just bought a Gibson ES-335. It's bright and uncompressed. So very dynamic. Every time I hit the low e everyone within a certain proximity is ducking for cover and heading for the basement. I know I have to learn a new way of setting up my gear. I was told that I should move my compressor to the effect loop and try that to even thing out. My G5126 doesn't react in this manor. Plus my guitar it bright with big bottom end with the t-type pickups. I'm also playing through a Friedman runt 50 with is also bright. Do you guys think the switch to a compressor in the loop will even out the low end and tame the highs a bit. It's a lot of work to take apart my board and recable to switch the voltage if I have to go back. I have my set as so whammy,wah,comp,octive,od,distortion noise gate,In the loop I have chorus, flange, delay,reverb. thanks in advance.
JMO; but no, I wouldn’t expect big things from moving your compressor into the effects loop. Nothing wrong with rolling the bass tone control down, possibly all the way, if need be.

bubblyah

Synchromatic
Jan 17, 2010
Calgary,Alberta
JMO; but no, I wouldn’t expect big things from moving your compressor into the effects loop. Nothing wrong with rolling the bass tone control down, possibly all the way, if need be.
That's where I'm at now. I keep neck volume around 6 on my guitar. I also tried lowering the bass side of the neck pickup but then I find I'm not liking how that sounds either. I was also thinking of changing the pickup to burst buckers 1&2 and I like that in my gibson es-339 but from what I understand most people say you want more treble in these guitars and you can dial out the muddiness but not the other way around. also think that it's also maybe inherited in the design and may have to use my other amps. Which are more high gain and I want the Mashrall type character.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I would start at the very basic, and work from that point. Guitar - cable - amp. Start with that and listen to what that is doing. If the bass is overwhelming in that config, then you know that your effects aren’t causing the problem. If that turns out to be the case, then it might take an EQ pedal, right up front, to deal with the problem.

How about acoustically? Maybe that particular 335 has an odd resonance. My Guild T-400 sounds great, but I had to dampen some wolf tones before it was playable. In this case, there were some resonances in the upper register that I had to cure, using the old grommet trick, but as soon as I did that, it tamed itself into a great axe. I don’t think that wolf tones would cause a low frequency oscillation, especially on a 335 where the bridge and tailpiece are closely spaced, but it could be something else resonating in sympathy with low notes.

bubblyah

Synchromatic
Jan 17, 2010
Calgary,Alberta
I would start at the very basic, and work from that point. Guitar - cable - amp. Start with that and listen to what that is doing. If the bass is overwhelming in that config, then you know that your effects aren’t causing the problem. If that turns out to be the case, then it might take an EQ pedal, right up front, to deal with the problem.

How about acoustically? Maybe that particular 335 has an odd resonance. My Guild T-400 sounds great, but I had to dampen some wolf tones before it was playable. In this case, there were some resonances in the upper register that I had to cure, using the old grommet trick, but as soon as I did that, it tamed itself into a great axe. I don’t think that wolf tones would cause a low frequency oscillation, especially on a 335 where the bridge and tailpiece are closely spaced, but it could be something else resonating in sympathy with low notes.
Acoustic is good. crunch is good but cleans is where it gets nuts. That's why pondering on moving compression is maybe gonna help. I think I just need to spend more time with it. It is a learning curve for me this time around.