Reamer

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Rockhead, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Hello, I added 2 Reverse taper pots to my 5220 for the bridge and neck volume but they are 3/8" shafts so now I have to ream those 2 holes. Is it better to ream from the inside or the top? Any suggestions welcome

Thanks!!

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    From the finished side. If you push from the non finished side, (I'm not sure you can even do that with those cavities?), it can cause large shards of finish to flake off. By pushing on the finish itself, you're holding the finish down as it were. And I would suggest a hand reamer as you will get better control and can be more gentle.

Jeff67 and new6659 like this.
  3. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Had to ream the hole on my 5220 switch to put in a Gibson style. I wrapped a fine grit sandpaper around a pencil and used that....actually came out really clean.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Cover the hole with masking tape first, just in case.

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Absolutely from the finish side. A trick I used was to tape a washer over the hole. It protects the finish and keeps you from reaming to large of a hole if you find the proper size washer. It worked on my Epi. Just tape will work well, just go slow and check the hole size often

DFB785B2-4D8B-4FD2-A152-BA92EF4936B9.jpeg 4A9EE284-C5AB-420F-ACF2-95843BE3CEAC.jpeg

6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    But you HAVE to peal the tape back at a 180 degree angle or it can pull finish off! (Ask my Strat how I know that...)

YouFellowRebels and Medium John like this.
  7. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Indeed ...........!

8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I will say, low tack painters tape is a better option on guitar finishes than standard masking tape

9. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Thanks for all of your replies! I reamed from the top as suggested and used a hair dryer on low to help avoid chipping. All went well thankfully.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.