Really small guitars - traveling guitars

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by DennisC, Apr 10, 2021.

1. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Thank y'all for the replies and suggestions!

I'll think about this within the next week or two ... there are some really nice ones among that I didn't have in mind, ... so ... this really helps me.

... and, after having decided and so on, ... I think I owe the bunch ... an honest review at least!

The lack of practice really makes me ... not that happy. Everything else is pretty fine right now (work is cool at the moment, Gina is well and well cared for, ...), but that is something I'll solve within the next few weeks.

Aaaaaaanyway - thanks, guys!

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Mini Strats and Mini teles can be tuned great and play fine. We have a couple of mini Strats in my house. I also travel but generally drive so i just take what I like. I have been more size conscious at times while driving and went with the little Martin with the Sitka top. She has opened up nicely and sounds great. Also, have the Penguin Rancher which is fine and more heavily built. But if it has to be electric I would say mini Strat, Tele, or even the mini Peavey, one of those around here somewhere as well. But if it has to be a full-scale guitar you might be better off with a cheap Strat and just pull the neck off when you pack it up.

3. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    I tried a travel guitar for awhile but it was still a pain on crowded (pre-COVID) planes. I now travel with a ukelele.

petecarlton likes this.
  4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My mileage did vary. My Traveler is rock solid. I can pull it out of its case after a couple of months and it is rarely out of tune. The tuners are in a tight location but are only a minor PIA. You have to give up something for the amazing portability of the guitar.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think a couple folks here just use a tele and disassemble the neck from the body and stick it in their luggage.

6. Alaska Mike

Alaska Mike Electromatic

Apr 12, 2021
    Alaska
    I have a Traveler EC-1, and I love the thing. Built-in tuner and headphone amp and it’s a full scale guitar. The black bound LP style body and gold hardware really look nice. The neck is one of my favorites (subjective).

I work at remote radar sites and decided I wanted a travel guitar to kill the off-time in a positive way. I wanted electric, was leaving in a couple days, and this was the only one in town. I found it hidden in the acoustic room of the Guitar Center locked high on a shelf. I didn’t want to spend that much, but a 15% off coupon eased the sting. Honestly, I would have paid full retail had I known how much use I would get out of it.

I’ll admit, the distorted tones are a bit trashy, but I got a Fender Mustang headphone amp which solves that issue in a compact form.

Replaced the pickup with something a little less hot (SD ‘59) and installed locking tuners.

I’m hanging on to this one.

audept likes this.
  7. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Those are outstanding travelling instruments!

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I bought a Harmony Juno primarily because I liked its sound, feel, & vibe but this guy is pretty darn compact yet still feels like an actual full scale guitar that's comfortable to play seated or standing. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it on a flight in the included Mono bag either, & you have the option to unscrew the neck if you were wanting to pack it in another bag:
    [​IMG]
    It's probably not something I'd recommend purely as a travelling guitar, but I think it'd be my #1 option out of what I've got.

Telechamp and wildeman like this.
  9. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    I tried the Martin Backpacker and the Washburn equivalent and they both sit really weird and I like to play sitting down. I'm travelling for work too, just took a 2 week on, 2 week off contract for 3 months starting in May and I'm debating what to bring with me. Maybe pick up a cheap acoustic, or just drag my Gretsch or Les Paul up with me with my Spark amp (which would double as my speaker).

10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I know guys that put threaded inserts in the neck and use bolts instead of screws, so they dont waste the threads.

MotorCentaur, Henry and Bertotti like this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    :D:D

12. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I thought about the Mini Strat that Squier has, but they just got absurd for the price increases for what they spec them at. $179 for a Poplar wood body ? I'll buy a $ 100 full size guitar for that. Tell me why anyone would pay the price of a Bullet full size for a Mini ? The 2 ways that gets thru the 5 hole, buyer was just too lazy to check the specs or lacks the sophistication to be a good consumer.

Bertotti likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Wow, mine were all under 100$, the neighborhood of 79 and 89.

14. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Start looking at headless guitars. I'm talking full-scale guitars, but built without a headstock. Carvin has a bunch (the Vader series is typical), Agile has its Chiral series, Strandberg, Riever guitars (Moffat, Scotland), others. Instead of the 41" length of an LP (with a 24.75" scale), you get a 31" length, even with a 25.5" scale guitar. Weight usually drops from 8-9 pounds down to 6 lbs.

These aren't much longer than the "dedicated travel guitars" (which are around 28") and they have everything you'd expect from a normal guitar...except the headstock.

15. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    I kind of cycle between my 3/4 scale Yamaha APXT-2 Acoustic Electric (200), and my Gretsch G2655 (Junior) Semi-Hollowbody (450). They're both small and lightweight, and neither need to be amplified for bedroom use. I have a Vox Mini-5 Rhythm busking amplifier that I use occasionally.

16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Mike!
    welcome mat 118.jpg

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry, couldn't resist! :D
    little guitar.jpg

18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The guys on the Guitar Nerds podcast love the Juno. One says it's his favorite guitar. It was a finalist for their 2020 Gear of the Year.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  19. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I bought a Kramer "The Duke" many years ago, in Ebay's early days, and still have it. It does an admirable job, and is assembled with great parts. If I remember right, it came with DiMarzio pickups. The neck is aluminum with an ebony fingerboard, so it's rock solid. I've taken it on a cruise, many other vacations, and played it on stage. The Duke is a professional guitar and even came with a hardshell case that looks like you're packing a firearm.
    [​IMG]

MotorCentaur likes this.
  20. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Oh ... that's quite a lot to take into account!

I'm currently in the lucky situation that from monday on, I'll home-work (... I can play that Inventor-game everywhere by vpn, so there's not that much of a point in sitting at my company and remotely work in the customer-company's system, while I can do the same from home - being in the actual customer-company has a point to it, as that's where the experience in that specific field of machinery is, ... which I did the last four weeks , ... anyway...), so I will not hurry, but carefully think.

Full-scale and a weird looks, I think, would serve me better than a nice looking, but drastically shortscaled guitar, as my main intent here is practicing, not performing. As long as it has a back that is somehow flat, my requirements regarding body shape are met.

But ... but I'll get vaxed some time this year, and so will a lot of people, so the main point in staying at home won't last forever, although I very, very much prefer being here, where I can smoke at my desk and don't have to freeze my balls of, just to serve my addiction. So, the demand will not vanish, but just allow me to take more time to decide and maybe have a little more money on hand then than if it was urgent.

Anyway - thanks guys (... it was only males around here, or did I miss a Miss?)! I'll look into every one mentioned here in the next days, share thoughts, and ... delayed isn't undone, or so, so this by no means became a useless thread (and maybe I'm not the only one interested in that kind of instrument).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.