Real of fake?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Shock, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I was thinking about picking this one up, but decided against it. I don't want a bolt on neck, and I question if it is real. The lack of a serial number, the pick guard isn't right and the electronics. I have not seen a 5 pot Gretsch wiring before on such a Gretsch. If Ebay Jet.jpg anyone wants to pick it up, be my guest. But I am curious if it is real or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1545790481...-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Real, been modded, looks cool.
    GFS Retro trons and a real B3, good stuff.

section2 and Shock like this.
  3. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Then it could be a screaming bargan for someone. If it wasn't a thousand miles away, I would go look at it.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's real. Originally there were only 4 pots, standard 3 knob tone pot plus master volume with G'buckers and a bolt neck. $300 when new. Not really "vintage" nor rare. My first Gretsch.
    It's a pre FMIC Synchromatic G1619 or similar. Looks to have some mods---might not have had a Bigsby originally, and the pickguard was changed. A couple of steps up from the Wilbury guitars.

Don't bother.

section2, Shock and bluenote23 like this.
  5. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    If it was local to me I would not only check it out, I'd likely make an offer.
    My big question is what kind of angle break is between the bridge and Bigsby? Too much and I might opt for a hard tail...

Shock likes this.
  6. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    It's the Synchromatic version of the G1615, close to what Wabash Slim suggested. So it predates the Electromatic line. The Bigsby is a mod and is probably worth as much as the guitar. The hardtail ones were going for under $200 used a few years back.

Shock likes this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    section2 and Shock like this.
  8. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Thanks to all. Pretty well have it identified.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My G1619 had a wrap around Badass style bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.