[(RE)BUILD] The Werewolf...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by araT, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    This project has me wondering if I should hold on to my cheapy Silvertone strat to be a future project.

2. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Yes! It's coming together. Great pics Tara!
    Funny it's the amp that's humming. After all you've been through, who'd have guessed.

I saw that vid too. On headphones, the sound is actually pretty good on the vid. Very chimy with a lot of bottom end. And still recognizable as a strat (unmistakable strat chime).

I really dig the clean sound of the neck pup and the crunch sound of the bridge (HB in the vid). If you look at the guy's face, he seems to lighten up a little when he plays the crunchy bridge :).

3. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Tara, I think that is just too cool to take a guitar that was at the bottom of the heap, tweak it here and tweak it there and make an awesome guitar of it. Well done!

4. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

you done good, T. your little project turned out very nice. so, is this "tung oil" finish smooth to the touch ? the black tuners are a nice contrast, too. Congrats on having a new guitar.

5. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks AF! glad you dig it!! I really like how it turned out too!

Thanks LATS! and thanks again for all your help - I may not have gotten anywhere (yet) but I sure learned A LOT!

I actually really like the black Schallers on there too - somehow they fit, in a sort of old-beat-up-car-with-one-mismatched-panel sorta way!

I lost that darned red diamonte :eek: the next time I'm up at the store I'll grab another to replace it with.. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to use it, so I didn't buy spares (I got lots of the white ones spare though!)

Hahahaha good one! see above -I lost it, but I'll get a few more the next time I'm near that store..

Definitely! No question! do it! it feels incredible to improve something beyond recognition with your own two hands... Put AlumiTones in it!!

Thanks Michiel! and thanks again for all your help too - the same I said to LATS applies to you as well - I may not have gotten anywhere (yet) but I sure learned A LOT!

The guy got some great tones in the video - I wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't such a good example of their sort of sound. you can get that same amazing crunch out of the coils as you can the buckers :) The reviewer guy was hilarious!!

I'm not sure if it's just the amp or the amp & the guitar, I'm getting "ground hum" sort of effects out of all my guitars now, even all the humbucker ones, hum unless I'm touching strings - and when I do, that unmistakable 'click'! never ever had that before - but it's fine, it's really only for testing repairs on anyway, and I'm sure my beloved Dual Terror will come home to me soon enough

Thanks Sarah! it's given me a real sense of accomplishment - it'll be even better when I manage to lick this blasted hum, if indeed it is still there, or it it's just that bloody amp!!

So glad you like it too!

Thanks Sarge! glad you're diggin' it too!

The tung is very smooth & silky to the touch now that it's dry, it's just perfect, you still know it's wood, but it doesn't feel raw any more.

I'm so stoked with my new guitar.. I can't stop playing it & tweaking little things as I go! I just can't resist!

6. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Sweet little guitar you got there, Tara! Well done!

7. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks Salty! How's Greg doing? :D:D

8. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Details! I think he is telling his life's story!:D Boy, he's windy!:rolleyes:

9. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I missed this till Jukers quoted it.. I never said too much! I was just warning prospective viewers that there would be a lot of talking in a language they don't understand before the guy gets around to playing :D

10. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy

but I was kidding, that guy really pulled my balls down to the feet with all that talking!
    believe me, it's better for you to not understand what he's saying...really...really loquacious!
    :D

11. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Hey Grandma, Why are there no piccies of you playing your lil gem???? Hummmmmmm?[just like the amp}

12. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
  13. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Happy to help out Tara. You may not have noticed due to the humming amp, but you did take the project to the next level in build quality and EMI control. Kudos to you! :)
    BTW, did you try your amp in other wall sockets? It sounds like the ground connection on your wall socket may be out of whack.
    Or, come to thing of it, maybe the ground wire inside the amp has come off the chassis after the prolonged max volume low E drone. ;)

Yes, that guy is hilarious. I've never seen a vid with a reviewer that tried to promote a product with a face like that all the time. :D
    He's got good chops though and the product speaks for itself!

14. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks Michiel :D

I was taking a couple of days to rest & enjoy the taracaster before even beginning to poke around in there, but I think you're probably spot on.. I guess I should bite the bullet, get the tools back out, have a poke around & do some proper testing!

Guitar face is a rather comical affliction.. my old boss used to have some of the worst guitar face I've ever seen - I had to bite my tongue to stop from bursting out laughing.

15. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Ah, yes, guitar face. We should revive that old thread of last year again! (I can't seem to find it). I get laughed at occasionally for my guitarface :eek:.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.