[(RE)BUILD] The Werewolf...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by araT, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Yep, I had a 3/4 Bodiddley, an acoustic/electric Bodiddley and the regular Electromatic Bodiddley. Tartan got the regular one, sold the other two.

2. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    :D Thanks!

I could, but that's a decent drive to an area with bad parking - I can ignore the hum, it's fine, it's only really bad when I crank it - besides, I mostly play unplugged anyway, so it's no HUGE thing, I'd just like to have the pickups working as they should anyway.

Glad you've been enjoying it Strummerson! thanks so much for your wonderful compliments - don't worry about me, the frustration is fading now that I've got the schallers on there and have it set up PERFECTLY, now apart from the hum it's a killer machine!! I'll sort it out eventually, and I've learned A LOT along the way :) that was the plan for this, so I got what I wanted really..

You're so sweet bob - really, don't worry about me ;) I'm good at ignoring hums when I have to & I'll have my dual terror back in no time at all, I've started hassling the store now we're past the 2 week mark!

I'll happily be adopted by you, as long as mum can tag along for the ride & we work out some mutual guitar/gear rights, I'll sleep at the feet of your Executive! :D

I have to say, I love 3/4s, they look like toys but they really are so nice to play - a real Gretsch one, god forbid an actual 3/4 Duo Jet, would send me batty!

Yes, go guitarmaker go!! get him all 3/4d up!

3. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    The schallers are here, black M6s (beggars can't be choosers, and they actually sort of fit to be honest), so I've drilled new screw holes for them & plugged the old ones with matches (gotta love matches - a guitar tech's best friend).. I've also finished cutting the nut, set the truss rod to get the relief where I like it (just a fraction off straight), set the action, intonation & gave it a good workout :D

I'm absolutely totally thrilled with it, and Michael (my friend with the Schallers) absolutely loves it too, he's trying to figure out which guitar he should put a set of alumitones in now!

Photos coming in a heartbeat.. just gotta take em, fine tune em & upload em!

4. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    What do the pickups sound like? Are the Chimey?

5. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    Excellent looking project you going here girl. I really like the honey color that the Tung Oil gave the body. I have been working with a small refinish job and am using Tung Oil for it. Very easy to work with if directions are followed. Seems 7 coats is normal for a nice finish. Congrats and keep up the good work.
    Pop's

6. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Wayne: Thanks!! glad you love it as much as I do!

Jukers: yeah, they're chimey & beefy as all get out, they don't sound very 'stratty' at all, no thin ice-pickyness, but that suits me just fine!

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THEM! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  8. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    GORGEOUS!!!!!

The two-tone alumitones in that classic body shape make me want to throw it on the bridge pickup and bang out some ska riffs.

Nothing like going into a weekend (though Australia must be well into its weekend by now) with a sense of accomplishment. Congratulations.

9. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy
    very nice job Tara!
    the strats sound all the same, I bet your taracaster is something more!

10. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Not sounding like a Strat is not necessarily a bad thing. This is a new era of music, maybe the AlumiTones are the gateway to a NEW sound.

11. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks guys! :D:D I'm so very very happy I can't find words.. I really trully love this thing, it's definitely moved to the top of the ladder amongst the Jets, Tele custom, SG & Ric 360/12 now, it used to be way at the bottom.

I totally agree, I'm really really glad they don't sound stratty - I've never been an ice-picky ear-drum-splitting sort of person, I've always liked things darker/warmer/bassier and these fit the bill PERFECTLY.. I honestly can't recommend them enough to anyone looking to replace pickups in something (preferably non-gretschy), I can't wait till the Orange gets home, you'll be getting clips of both in one shot!! :D

12. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    Any chance of some SOUND clips?

13. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    The alumitone have been out there for some time now, you just never hear anyone using them.

Nice job Tara, I think I might look into a set of the humbucker ones for a project. That is one cool guitar!

14. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Just as soon as my Orange Dual Terror gets home - you really don't want me to DI into the PC or try to record this craptastic (now noisy) Pathfinder10 do you? it wouldn't do it justice.. the clips on youtube would be better, and frankly they're pretty bad

Here's the best one (in italian, lots of talking, skip through for decent samples)

Thanks again Mike, I never would have known about them without you - I think you really really REALLY need too get a set of those countrybuckers, they suit you PERFECTLY! and I bet they sound just as awesome as these ones do!! :D

15. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy
    hey hey, we do not talk too much, we just like to go deep into details....ok maybe a little bit.

16. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Actually, yes, I would like a DI recording sample. Amps color the tone. I want a pure sound sample to judge by.

17. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    OK :) I'll try to make some time over the weekend if I can manage.. it's 2am now and I'm too tired to anything, but I'll get on it ASAP!

From what I've read the pickups are pretty 'transparent' (though it's not like I can thoroughly test that with one crappy solid state at my disposal) I'm not sure they'll sound great without an amp or some kind of modeller adding some colour.. we'll find out I guess :)

My fingertips are still pretty sliced/burned/raw/tender from the last week of serious manual labour, and I've got no nails left at all, which means I'll be pick-dependant for a week or so, but I'm so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so happy!

18. AtomicFishin83

AtomicFishin83 Gretschie

Aug 13, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Awesome job on the re-build! Love the black tuners, and the wood stain.

19. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    Lookin' gooood!

I think the black tuners were a great choice!

Uh, where's the red dot?

20. Quietly

Quietly Banned

Jul 31, 2009
    Spain

Yeh how did you do that Tara? I mean turning a red dot into a string tree :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.