Ray Butts pickups

cvr31

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2013
just south of sanity
I had been considering changing out the T-Armonds in my 6120. I had posted here about mulling over the Setzers or the Classic Plus, and got a tip to check out the Ray Butts pickups. After watching about every video on YouTube about them, I decided to give the Butts a try. Damn glad I did.

I received and installed the pickups a couple of days ago. All I can say is WOW! These pickups really sound good. Very open and "sweet" sounding. Not quite as "honky" as the TV Classics in my Country Club, the Butts pickups have a really great tone. I still have to fine-tune the pickup height and pole screws, but I'm not too far off as installed. I definitely hear vintage Filtertron sounds coming from them. The Butts produce really great rhythm sounds, and don't sound shrill at all on the upper strings.

Tavo, thanks for the recommendation on these pickups. I didn't know much about the Ray Butts pickups before looking up your recommendation, but I'm definitely a convert now. I would recommend these pickups to anybody looking for something a little less hot in their Filtertrons, with still with great musical sounds. I am totally satisfied with these pickups so far.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
I did the same one year ago (I had the EC configuration on my 6120, but before that was Dynasonic loaded). Can't be more happy of the choice.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
i too have loved every clip i've heard of these, i will be getting a set at some point not sure which guitar will get them.

Good to hear your thoughts on these compared to dynas as i am a big fan of those pick ups too.

SLICKFASTER

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2009
USA
I had been considering changing out the T-Armonds in my 6120. I had posted here about mulling over the Setzers or the Classic Plus, and got a tip to check out the Ray Butts pickups. After watching about every video on YouTube about them, I decided to give the Butts a try. Damn glad I did.

I received and installed the pickups a couple of days ago. All I can say is WOW! These pickups really sound good. Very open and "sweet" sounding. Not quite as "honky" as the TV Classics in my Country Club, the Butts pickups have a really great tone. I still have to fine-tune the pickup height and pole screws, but I'm not too far off as installed. I definitely hear vintage Filtertron sounds coming from them. The Butts produce really great rhythm sounds, and don't sound shrill at all on the upper strings.

Tavo, thanks for the recommendation on these pickups. I didn't know much about the Ray Butts pickups before looking up your recommendation, but I'm definitely a convert now. I would recommend these pickups to anybody looking for something a little less hot in their Filtertrons, with still with great musical sounds. I am totally satisfied with these pickups so far.
Question.. what about the TArms made you wana switch.. I’m thinking goin from Setzer’s to the T arms in a Ciuntry Club..

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I put some RBs in my 6120. I love them. The middle position is incredible, and the back pickup sounds almost as bright as my Esquire, but without any painful piercing highs.

cvr31

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2013
just south of sanity
Question.. what about the TArms made you wana switch.. I’m thinking goin from Setzer’s to the T arms in a Ciuntry Club..

I really liked the T-Armonds in my old tone post DSW. They sounded great in that guitar. With the trestle bracing in my current SSLVO, I felt that the T-Armonds were just a bit too shrill on the upper strings. The bass strings sounded great, but I just couldn't get over the brittle sounding highs coming from those pickups in that specific guitar. I still like the response of the T-Armonds in a tone post guitar, I'm just not so keen on them in a trestle-braced guitar on the high strings.