Rat Rod pinstriped right

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Merc, Jul 9, 2020.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’d really love to get my panther stripped but I’m very fussy about what I want

Merc likes this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m the same way. Both these white and gray ones caught my eye as it’s what I like. But having bought three pedals recently it’s not in the cards for me.

You could always seek out some pinstripers and check out their work. I think some like freedom while others are willing to work with you. For instance when I reached out to the gray one, he told me if I wanted one in the future that the artist has pictures of finished ones he’s done and could do a similar one for me. Although he’s talking about selling me a guitar, my point is if you know the artists name it should be easy enough to go direct. Whenever this Rona ends you’ve got to go to some car shows and ask around for some local pinstripers.

nickurso likes this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I have not been able to find any pinstripes in this area

4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    You’ve likely got to reach out to vintage car clubs then. Or once things open up, check out some car shows and some of the older Hot Rod and Custom car owners sitting by their car. Some of the friendliest people are car enthusiast and the best shops or people are often by word of mouth.

nickurso likes this.
  5. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Agreed. The red accents look fantastic with those pickups.

Jeff67 and Merc like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I really like that.

Merc likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Alright, that's it. I'm getting a Rat Rod, thanks guys....thanks a lot :mad:

:)

calebaaron666, Merc and Jeff67 like this.
  8. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Whaddya expect if ya hang out with enablers? ;)

Merc likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Don’t blame us. Blame Gretsch for for giving us all some serious GAS. :D

I’m trying to narrow down my next one. The Rat Rod is it if I go hollow body and not Jet. :)

10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    The prices of the two (white and gray) in Merc's first posts are actually pretty cheap and very tempting. Most new RRs go for about $800, then the case is usually $150 and up. With their hard cases the white one is selling for $1000 and the gray for $970 so the pinstriping is almost free.

I keep going back to look at the white one and think it is one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen, ever! Just gorgeous, very tasteful, refined, a true work of art. I've actually pondered spending $1K to buy it but then I'd have to build a glass display case (with turntable) and never play it.

Merc likes this.
  11. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    This is the first Rat Rod I like. The red pups seemed a bit lost, but now with some red in the pinstriping, it looks far better!

Merc likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Being hollow body less, if I hadn’t bought three pedals recently it would already have been mine. Although I wouldn’t be sticking it in a glass case, it would be played and enjoyed. Eventually trying to get some custom TV Jones with the same red inserts installed into it.

Btw, the gray has no striping on the back. Still nice though.

13. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I can just imagine ten years from now, showing someone my dinged up pinstriped guitar and saying "you should have seen it when it was new!"

A month ago I bought a 2004 G5129T that came already dinged and scratched, thanks, I'll just play that one for now. Hey, I just realized that I can get that one pinstriped, wow! Using the white one above as a guide!
    I know there are pinstripe artists in this area.

Merc likes this.
  14. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    Here is my most recent...not sure who striped it but top quality work. At one point my collection had 12 Hot Rod Walt guitars...neat thing was that 9 of them were in numerical series. Down to this one pinstripe now, had to thin the heard.

Attached Files:

Outlaw, Marv666 and Merc like this.
  15. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Great! Now I’ve got to start planning on getting something like this together. And I was being a good boy, staying away from here trying to recover from my latest purchases, but the damn Gretsch-talk email got me!

I never understood or liked “painted on Gretsch guitars” until I saw the first two in this post. After seeing it done well I’m changing my mind, I just want to dial it back about about 20-40%. The white and gray examples at the beginning are just a bit too much. The Alabama artist got the balance just right on the back of the white one. If he had left out about half of the gray striping around the f holes and used some more of the angular red accents instead, but smaller...it would’ve been perfect.
    I was already rat rod curious after trying one out at GC. This will send me into hours of time in the Gretsch Simulator sorting this out.

Like I got time for this crap. UGH!

Merc likes this.
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks great. I like the lesser seen green pinstripe in it too. It works well.

17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    lol... buying a Gretsch is a good thing. Best of luck and post pics when you get one.

18. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    Thanks...this one is less rat rod and more 'flourish lowrider'...a bit too overdone compared to my others that were true rat.

Merc likes this.
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    This may stray from guitars... but for the Tiki love that’s out there....

8325D495-2FD7-4A02-BBBA-3877BDCC2721.jpeg C8251156-1316-457B-A933-D397A2453EE0.jpeg E73033F9-9D73-4E95-9481-73CE5114A3EC.jpeg
    7F54C972-F4AE-48A7-9781-21626020B576.jpeg

Marv666 and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  20. olson_jimmy

olson_jimmy Electromatic

Aug 3, 2020
    Clarksville, TN
    30352C3E-FC2E-4D6B-9046-D23778FEF8D6.jpeg Here is mine!

Attached Files:

new6659, Marv666 and dougmon like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.