Rat Rod body depth?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by mrcoffee23, Jan 25, 2021.

1. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    People online seem to universally say Rat Rods are 2.25" (like a 5422), but the Gretsch site lists the spec at 2.5"

Which is it? Is it an edge vs center measure difference?

??

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Measure top edge to back edge by the tailpiece. This is the correct way to measure Gretsch depth.

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  3. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I've read both numbers, too.

I do think they are 2.25", because ... the 5420, which otherwise is identical, is 2.75", and just 1/4 doesn't make that much of a difference that would justify setting up another model.

Also, the 5422 are 2.25" deep, so a few parts - the rim on the cutaway side, the post under the bridge, ... - may be identical. But I don't know - one of those who have one might step in here.

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  4. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I am hoping to play a Rat Rod in store on Sunday, so I may have a chance to check then. But I don't think the store has a 5420 to compare it with.

Seems odd that Gretsch may have the wrong spec on its website, and not correct it yet. They even have the same spec for the new finishes they just released.

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Probably the weakest thing that Gretsch does is get all the catalog specs correct.

They usually get it changed at some point, but they traditionally have several errors, every year.

Frustrating, but a tradition so to speak.

Hopefully you'll get one in your hands to see how it feels.

Have some fun and keep us posted.

azrielle likes this.
  6. ffc65

ffc65 Electromatic

Jan 7, 2015
    London
    Mine is 2.25 inches by the top strap button and 2.5 by the bottom

azrielle, SAguitar and mrcoffee23 like this.
  7. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Played one, and it was nice but I wasn't in a buying mood. Was also having a hard time since I have a 5422 which, except for body shape and gloss finish, is pretty similar spec-wise.

G5422T likes this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Sounds like a good move.

If a guitar doesn't really grab me, I pass. Maybe later, maybe another one, maybe never.

Force buying, for whatever reason, generally doesn't turn into bonding with a guitar, at least with me.

Ted Keane, pmac11, mrcoffee23 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.