Rat and rat-like pedals

Pine Apple Slim

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2011
North Alabama
Ive never been really into high gain distortion sounds unless I had to reproduce an 80s lead break or something. Mine is a standard Rat from 2004-5. But then I discovered the Fuzz Face and I prefer that over a Rat for distortion.The Rat is actually pretty versatile and can also do lower gain pretty well, but I like stacking other lower gain overdrives better.
Last year I got a wild hair and decided I should get another distortion pedal beside my old Rat and got myself a used Pugilist off Reverb. Its nice, lots of versatility, but it was a dumb purchase as I never play it.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I have a Proco Deucetone "double Rat", and some cheap mini knockoff(Donner I think) which gets me 90-95% there at approx. 1/20th of the weight(yes, weight).
Generally not big on the raspy quality of (most) hard clippers. I do very much like the OCD which is a hard clipper I do believe, but the sound has not anything to do with a Rat IMO.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Considering a Rat pedal and do want something like it, would like to try one of Tavo's marquesan as the sound clips sound good but the aussie dollar is terrible at the moment.
This thread is going to be helpful for me.

JCW513

Gretschie
Sep 21, 2017
Boston
I love my Proco Rat Whiteface Reissue... I had two and wish I kept the other one.. Worth a lot now.

I'm a fuzz guy, but for me, you just cant beat the Rat.. It can do fuzzy things.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Considering a Rat pedal and do want something like it, would like to try one of Tavo's marquesan as the sound clips sound good but the aussie dollar is terrible at the moment.
This thread is going to be helpful for me.

I have it's predecessor - Ubangi. It's really very versatile. I use it for low gain and then I use it for an almost fuzz tone. Just a great and useful pedal one should have.

juks

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
I had a Rat for awhile but somehow didn't get along with it. I have bunch of other distortion pedals but seem to be coming back to this not expensive one. Not that I've ever had any of the real expensive ones.

20220717_165034.jpg

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Isn't the real deal only $70 new? Seems that might be your cheapest way in?

There's a JHS that supposedly does a couple of different Rat flavors, but you could probably buy 2 or 3 Rats for the price of that pedal.

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Silver Member
Dec 7, 2011
United States
Had one, never could bond with it, sold it. Never liked the tubescreamer either, guess that whole family not my bag.

Malachi Constant

Electromatic
Jun 14, 2022
Australia
What's everyone's favourite Rat or rat style pedal? I've been GASsing for one for a while but with so many options on the market it's hard to pick which ones are the best options
After years of searching I realised a few years ago that they're the only distortion effect for me. My permanent pedalboard resident is the Ibanez FC10 FatCat, awesome pedal and highly under rated.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
When it comes to Rat pedal circuits.. Either you get an original white label big box pro co Rat, or buy a well made clone w more versatility.. If you buy cheap, then youre gonna hear cheap. If you make your own w some decent soldering skills, it will still require that you know enough about circuits to test and pick the right parts. RAt circuits can be made to sound really really good at low gain AND high gain levels, or like complete crap if you dont know what youre doing. But there's always a beginning for the initiated! always get your hands dirty and burn the crap out of your fingers, its worth it! :)

ps. the Ubangi is a Marquesan, only the name changed to be more PC (along with some great mids EQ control and clipping options). I never realized the background of the guy who wrote the Ubangi Stomp song until it was pointed out to me many yrs later. I'd attributed the song to the Stray Cats and the sound of Setzer overdriving the front end of his pre deluxe Memory Man, into the bass channel of his 6G6-B blonde w those filtertrons.

Last edited:

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
The original ProCo RAT. And like all of my distortion pedals, I do not really use it for distortion but rather as an "ingredient" with others in the mix for a bigger dish.....one example of many for me: For my "Comfortably Numb" solos... Strat --> Keeley Compressor --> RAT --> Source Audio Gemini (Chorus) --> Catalinbread Echorec

That is just an example but use it for a certain tone shape for "forceful" solos and it pairs really well with both reverb and echo pedals.

ishtar

Friend of Fred
Jun 30, 2008
Pensamiento Infundado, Colorado
A couple of reactions to the thoughts shared above...

RAT is distortion and Tube Screamers are overdrive, correct?

I had an early RAT. I liked it but didn't do much experimentation once I found a sound I liked from it. Got rid of it. Then got a Catalinbread Montavillain. That was great. Long gone. Then got a Mooer Black Secret...

I feel the real RAT and the Montavillain were my most pleasing distortion effects. My Mooer Black Secret isn't all that.

Whatever gear I had is not as good as the gear I am going to acquire, and isn't as good as the gear I used to have... Sigh... GAS moaner.