Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Rank Your Pedals

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Fjrabon, May 16, 2017.

1. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    so, always see a lot of "show us your pedalboard" threads, but have always been curious about how people feel about each of their pedals.

Format is tiers, ordered within from favorite to least. Feel free to add as much or as little detail as you'd like. Probably the best way to explain it is for me to just do mine as an example:

Tier 1: Would panic if I had to replace these pedals:

1) Orange Two Stroke - two band parametric EQ with clean boost.
    I haven't found another pedal really like it and it's freaking amazing. Irreplaceability and loving the tone are the magic duo that gives this the #1 spot. Some pedals have as good of tone, and some are as unique, but none of my other pedals have that combo.

2) Pigtronix Philopher's tone - Optical Compressor with wet/dry blend
    I hated compression until this pedal. The combination of optical quality with a wet/dry blend is magic. This stays on 90%+ of the time and only gets turned off for some rhythm parts where I need the extra strumming dynamics response. There's maybe 3 pedals that could replace it and they're all more expensive.

3) Fulltone Fulldrive2 MOSFET - Two stage overdrive.
    This pedal just works for me. AC15s are famous for being fickle about drive, but this one works well in my system. I use it for a very articulate overdrive that's more aimed at riffs and rhythm than creamy leads. Although it can also do creamy leads when the boost stage is engaged.

Tier 2: Really love it, but not irreplaceable:

4) Electro Harmonix Lester G - Leslie simulation pedal with expression pedal.

This holds the honor of being my most expensive pedal, especially if you add in the cost of the expression pedal too. And I do love it. But I just don't use modulation a ton. It's my favorite modulation effect, but I could take it off my board and not miss it too. Which, again, isn't a knock on the pedal at all, it's fantastic at what it does. I just don't always need modulation. I'd buy it again if I lost it, but I wouldn't rush. It also takes up a ton of space on the pedalboard.

5) Friedman BE OD - Marshall in a box pedal.

I actually use this pedal a lot and I really, really like it. It actually stays on the Normal channel of my AC15 permanently on, so that whenever I switch over to the normal channel, it's like I have a hotrodded plexi. Perfect. So why isn't it higher? There's a ton of amazing Marshall in a box pedals, and it's expensive. If I had to trade this for a dirty little secret, a Marshall guv'nor or even a generic Donner pedal it wouldn't be the end of the world. So, it's the best at what it does, but not by as much as the pedals above.

6) Electro Harmonix Canyon Delay and Looper

It's my favorite Delay pedal ever. Small, tons of great tones, super versatile. I'm just not a huge Delay guy. I actually use it more frequently as a looper for practice than as a Delay pedal. I'll go literally weeks completely forgetting about it.

Tier 3: Like it, it gets the job done, but not married to it either

7) Donner Tuner

It's small. It gets the job done. It's cheap. I've thought about replacing it with one of the micro polytunes but just have no reason to.

8) Electro Harmonix Switchblade+ a/b/y pedal.

It's an a/b/y. It doesn't have phase or ground lift options, but since I'm using it as a channel switcher on the ac15 rather than to select different amps, it works great for me. But it's also just a channel switcher.

9) Vox 847a wah

I'm not a wah guy. I'll use it for cocked wah tones sometimes. But I could leave this at home for almost every gig and not miss it. It's good looking and it's tone works well with my amp. It's my favorite wah, but I don't actually care about it or use it a ton. Not a knock on the pedal, but I'm just not a wah guy

10) Electro Harmonix Nano Big Muff - fuzz

It's fine. I don't use it a ton, but it gets the job done when I need fuzz. If I used fuzz more I might look into upgrading it, but it's fine for me. It's pretty cheap these days. It's pretty low on my dirt hierarchy.

Tier 4: don't hate it, but it's either in a drawer or I'm considering taking it off my board

11) Electro Harmonix Nano Pog - polyphonic octave generator

It's actually pretty awesome, but I didn't use it a ton, it took up too much board space and had good resale value. So I sold it. I miss it every now and again, but not enough to consider buying another one.

12) Behringer Echo Machine - Delay

It's fine enough sounding, and it will do stereo input and output. But I just don't care about delay very much and it isn't able to be a looper like the Canyon. It also has a ton of tiny knobs that are impossible to use at a live gig. And it feels cheap and the switch has no tactile feedback telling you it's on or off, so you have to rely on the light. The knobs are super finicky and it's easily to accidentally nudge them and end up in a drastically different type of delay. Somewhat complicated to use.

Tier 5: I dislike this pedal

13) Boss Blues Driver overdrive.

In the times we live in, with as many options as we have for overdrive, I just don't get this being the one somebody picks. My opinion but I don't get it. This is the pedal that convinced me to never again buy a pedal without trying it out first.

Bonus Tier: I'm very intrigued and considering adding this pedal:

1) Wampler Euphoria.

Very intrigued by the idea of a dumble pedal. I've demoed and liked this quite a bit, but not with my amp. Don't really need another drive pedal though.

2) Vox handwired volume pedal

Looks good. Matched my amp. Never felt a need for a volume pedal but this is #1 on my list if I do. Thought about using it to blend the two channels on my ac15, but in the end that seemed more complicated than I wanted to deal with.

3) Electro Harmonix Soul Food

Again I don't need another dirt pedal, but am interested to see what the fuss is about. I've never really used a Klone before.

4) Electro Harmonix Crayon.

Again, don't need another drive pedal. But I did demo this (not with my amp) and thought it was very cool. However in the end I decided it doesn't do anything my fulldrive and Two stroke don't do much better when I stack them.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    T1: Atomic Brain. It's MSG for tone.
    Tech 21 Blonde Deluxe. It's now my amp.
    T2: Boss DD7, Korg D10 tuner.
    T3: Boss Tremelo.
    T4: Boss Flanger, Danelectro Reel Echo, MXR GT Overdrive, Blackstar HT Dual.
    T5: 'Crossfire' Distortion. (Gave it to my son for some Lemmy attitude on his bass), Dunlop Cry Baby (just seems to suck tone)
    I'd probably sell the T4/5s if there was any money in it. But they're so cheap second hand now that it's not really worth listing them, I'd just feel stupid. Better to put them in a drawer until they're 'vintage' and then ka-ching lol.

3. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    My current board is small, I stripped it down to what I needed and I love it. No extras, no excess just everything that I need and it sounds great. The Ubangi stomp has been on every version of my board since I got it and it's a keeper. Gonna order a second one when the preorder starts.
    The mystery brain has replaced my other delays and has an atomic brain built in that is voiced perfectly for the tape echo side best echo/delay I've had. I want to order a second one of those too.
    The snark tuner is small, durable and has a big display. I like it way better then the boss TU-2 and 3 I had. I have two snark tuners also so I guess my whole board is a can't live without

IMG_0723.JPG

blc45 and JimmyB1982 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    I'm sure I'm missing some, but this is pretty close to complete??

T1-
    Nocturne Mystery Brain
    Nocturne Atomic Brain
    Strymon El Capistan delay
    Nocturne Fez overdrive
    Nocturne Sleeper overdrive
    Pelican Half Horse fuzz/overdrive/glitch
    Walrus Audio Julia chorus/vibe

T2-
    OBNE Black Fountain delay
    EQD Dispatch Master SR dual delay
    OBNE Procession reverb
    Mojohand Iron Bell muff fuzz
    Pelican Pelitaur dual fuzz
    Mojohand Blue Bantam treble booster
    EQD Depths vibrato
    TC Elecronics Ditto X2 looper
    Mr Black Ambience echo/reverb
    Mr. Black JD-50 distortion
    Nocturne Nailhead tremolo
    Mojohand Blue Bonnet blues overdrive

T3-
    SolidgoldFX Model 001 fuzz/overdrive
    Strymon Flint reverb
    Walrus Audio Jupiter fuzz face
    Mr. Black Shepards End flanger
    Mr. Black Eterna shimmer reverb
    Mr. Black Trance Portal ambient delay

T4-
    Copper Sounds Telegraph stutter switch
    DC Yolk-5 bypass looper
    Goodrich volume pedal
    Mr. Black Downward Spiral phaser

T5-
    Just sold all of these

Bonus
    EQD Nightwire tremolo
    SolidgoldFX Electroman delay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricochet and thunder58 like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Nice collection Jimmy . A little surprised regarding the Flint ( being T3 )

JimmyB1982 likes this.
  7. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    You know.... I like the Flint, but with so many advances in pedals and technology I don't use it as much as I used to. I took it off the board a while back and haven't needed it, but think often that I'd like to try it again. I sold several reverbs at the beginning of the month, but kept it because I do have a soft spot in my heart for it.. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thunder58 likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm thinking of moving some pedals myself and making room for a Flint ( Hall of Fame / Big Muff / Mosaic )
    Yea , I have a T-Rex Tremster and talk about sentimental ........... it's a pedal geek thing ....you understand , I know you do .... lol :)

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not a big pedal user. (Allthough I keep buying them haha)
    And the ones I actually use are not even "the best".

I'll pick a few noteworthy, for this thread's sake.

Fulltone Fulldrive2, an old blue one, classic TS type pedal. This is the dirt pedal I'll grab first.

ClinchFX EP+, EP3 pre-amp+ boost, #1 first one made.

Neunaber Expanse stereo pedal, amazing technology.
    Check out the new Iconoclast speaker cab sim.

Neo mini Vent, best Leslie sim, without hogging half the pedal board.

Dunlop GCB-950 I think, octave, fuzz, wah, rolled into one. Wanna start WW3, this is the ticket. Ultra rare before Slash decided to make it his new signature pedal! :mad:

Source Audio Manta, really a bass filter pedal, if you want to get your freak on.

thunder58 and Robbie like this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Not a large user of pedals but;

T2 - EHX Soul Food
    T3 - Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent OD, Boss TU-3 Tuner, EXH Pulsar, EHX Holy Grail Nano
    Bonus - Timmy

11. NervousJohn

NervousJohn Electromatic

May 8, 2017
    U.K.
    The only one that is a run out and replace now is a Boss TU-3. They are great things, rugged and reliable.

That's the pedal that gets used the most. The rest of my live rig is a Hardwire reverb ( the red one) and a Mad Professor Sweet Honey. That feeds my vintage Vox AC-30. The amp I would want to replace but I have no idea how I would afford one now. I've had it 28 years now, and back then it was just an old amp.

However I have an FD-2 arriving today so I will report back.

I don't like delays, compressors, and stuff that breaks. I'm talking about you Joyo.

12. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    The Euphoria drive is good. It's like a better Fulldrive 3, but without an independent boost. but can be used as a boost.

13. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Yeah, I liked it a lot when I tried it. I was going to get either it or the BE OD and the BE OD fit what I was looking for a little bit better at the time and was a bit more amp like. At the time I wanted something I could feed a completely clean channel and get a plexi. But I liked the euphoria so much I almost got it too. But $400 for both was a bit much when I was already happy with the FD2M.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  14. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

I only have the Behringer Ultra distortion, never used it, LOL as in Lol.

But I got a multi FX Line 6, POD i kinda play around with, Itll give me some usefull sounds;)

15. DavidLee

DavidLee Gretschie

Oct 11, 2014
    Des Moines
    Having played for over 4 decades now, I have accumulated (literally) over 400 pedals to date. I used to write a lot of pedal reviews which caused most of that accumulation to occur (people would ask stuff like "how does this boutique this or that compare to an off the shelf Boss DS-1 etc etc) & so I would go buy the pedal(s) I did not own to answer the question in a side by side shootout. I refer to my collection now as my "Tonal Library".

Asking me to explain how I feel about each of my pedals is... well... NO! :eek:

:D

MotorCentaur, Ricochet and JimmyB1982 like this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    "tonal library"...I like that!

17. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Ha, what about a top 10?

18. Mag3

Mag3 Electromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Boston, MA

JimmyB1982 likes this.
  19. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    My buddy had that FFD2M. It was a little better than the FD3, but the wide asymetrical style clipping on the 3 is awesome.

I like wampler's stuff. I really like their Clarksdale delta OD. basically a Valco style amp pedal. It does it's job well, but also has a 3 band EQ. Can really dial a lot of sounds out of it. It killed the Supro Drive, and was better in my opinion than the JHS superbolt.

20. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I, like Nick, have my board in a place where literally everything on it is vital and necessary to my live needs. There is nothing that doesn't get used, and nothing BUT the things I need.

FullSizeRender.jpg

21. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Tony, what is that tuner on your board?