Rank your guitars

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Pdnlegs, Dec 8, 2018.

1. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Like others here, it changes often depending on my mood and what I'm playing:

1. Fender Custom Shop '56 Strat
    2. PRS Vela
    3. Fender Baja Tele
    4. Fender Am. Pro. Jazzmaster with Staytrem and Curtis Novak pickups
    5. Guild X-175B
    6. Fender Jimmy Vaughan Strat
    7. Gibson 60's Trib. Les Paul (P90s)
    8. Gretsch G6120SLVO
    anodized 1.jpg
    The only reason that the Gretsch is so far down the list is that I really love single coils best.

2. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    If we are asking which we would grab if the house was on fire it would be the Gibson LP because it costs about as much as all the rest combined lol. And then My Fender Strat because it was my first electric guitar, was my 18th birthday present and is basically my favorite guitar even though currently I have it at #2. Thing is it is almost always at 1 or 2.

Charlie westside likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My approach to guitars is different. I'm primarily a keyboard player. I took up guitar in the '60s when I was in the service mainly because it was imminently portable. I still have the POS Voxton that I bought back then (for a whole $69 in 1969) that's been around the world in the back of a C-130. The $25 case was a great investment.

I still have my first "good" electric---a '89 Peavey Generation III---also known as a Cropper Special. Got it right after my Mom passed away. It's a Tele clone with active EMGs and a Floyd Rose II. Still, if it was good enough for the Colonel....

My best acoustic is a '68 Guild D-35 that I got from a good friend who's since passed on. Some cash and the aforementioned case got me the guitar and a '77 Deluxe Reverb.

I have my father-in-law's POS Sears Silvertone/Harmony flattop from the 1930s that barely survived a car accident. He said that it taught him never to drink like that again. It's got top damage, an ugly sunburst, and a bilious gold flake pickguard. I love it. Got his fiddle, too.

My all-time favorite guitar is my Gretsch 3140 Historic. Prettiest guitar I own, and, when run thru an AC15, has the sound I've always heard in my head.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  4. Rckt-Brew

Rckt-Brew Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    Trabuco Canyon
    Here is my ranking by the amount of time they spend in my hands.

1. 6129-BZ Billy Zoom Jet
    6128T-TVP Power Jet
    6120 RHH

2. BMG - Red Special
    Mosrite Ventures Mark V
    Eastman La Baye 2by4

3. 6129-57 Silver Jet
    3166 Historic

Each guitar in group gets close to equal time of play.

MichaelHargis likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    193E160C-DC6D-4D15-B7D8-88365A89984C.jpeg
    1. Center
    2. Left
    3. Right

6. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    hard to put in order they get played about the same as they are very different beasts
    05 6120am
    1.[​IMG]
    72 gibson sg
    2.[​IMG]
    08? highway one (texas)
    3.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was only thinking of electrics but if we are including acoustics as well or other stringed instruments my 000-18 GE is 1 and my Mandolin is Oldwave Oval A is #2

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    OK, I go. "Post pics or it never existed", as usual... :D

1 - my Venerable 1980 Gibson ES-335TD, Kalamazoo made, because she's my 1st guitar, which stayed my only one for years. I paid 839 Euros in original case for her in 1980, bought 2nd hand :
    [​IMG]

2 - my 2008 Gretsch G6119LH Tennessee Rose, because she's the Gretsch that I always wanted, also bought 2nd hand in original case for 1700 Euros in September 2015.
    [​IMG]

3 - my 2 Danelectro Fake Lefties "59 Minerva Verde" and "Orange Blossom Special", because they have been carefully and kindly built (or rebuilt) by my luthier pals, and they are truly great guitars :
    [​IMG]

4 - my (modded) Gretsch G5220TLH Dark Cherry Metallic, because she's my amazingly good and nice "Lefty Jet du Pauvre" :
    [​IMG]

5 - my Gretsch G5622TLH SRF GRN, because of her Surf Green (more Surf Turquoise) colour, her rarity (only 10 made in this colour with a B7 and only in LH, the 1st Surf Green Gretsch guitar ever made) :
    [​IMG]

6 - my 2 Gretsch acoustics G100 and G400 LH-Ized / modded, because they are simply nice and Gretsch :
    [​IMG]

7 - my 2 Harley-Benton MS60LH-VW "Mustang" modded in "Cyclone" and "Tornado", because they are usually misconsidered as "shitty cheap" guitars, but once modded, they are killer :
    [​IMG]

8 - my 2005 Squier Std (modded), just because I had soooo much issues and deceptions with my Fender guitars, that I kept none of them but this one, the cheapest but the best... Again, once modded :
    [​IMG]

A+!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  9. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Here are my top 5: In no particular order; they take their turns being my favorites

1. The Cat's Eye G400 for when I'm in an acoustic mood
    2. The brass bodied resonator tuned to open D/Dm. I like the 1.75 nut for fingerpicking
    3. The Baritone for a deeper voice, tuned with standard intervals at B. IMG_0724 (2).jpg
    4. The Jet for when my girlfriend is gone and I want to be loud and snarly
    5. The 6120 just because it feels so good to play all the time

wilblee, MichaelHargis and Bertotti like this.
  10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Much like others, 1-3 will vary depending on mood, or music being played. That said, here goes:

1. 2011 Taylor 710ce acoustic-electric - played most in church.
    IMGP9728_zpskd6rnrdg.jpg

2. 2011 Gretsch Tennessee Rose - right now, when I pick up an electric, this one is first.
    2011 Gretsch Tennessee Rose 1.JPG

3. 2009 Fender MIM Stratocaster - still don't know why, but it just sounds better than my other Strats.
    IMGP9937_zpsjuxuycxl.jpg

4. 2014 Fender Special Edition 60's Stratocaster with matching headstock - Daphne Blue
    Fender Special Edition 60s Stratocaster Lacquer Daphne Blue 3.JPG

5. Gretsch FSR G534TG Two-Tone Electromatic Pro Jet - Candy Apple red/White - just like playing an LP, but better.
    20170623_1434461_zpswx6d0qsz.JPG

6. 2012 Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
    Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster 1.JPG

7. 2012 Ibanez AM93 semi-hollow
    0310c613-44df-4604-8840-8557c5659c8d_zps1616cbe5.jpg

8. Gretsch 5420t
    IMGP9697_zpsd38b72e2.jpg

9. 2003 Fender MIM Stratocaster with upgraded Lace Sensor Gold pickups
    17bcb33c-a4e8-4e3a-862a-df6a8bfe977f_zps82328726.jpg

10. 2014 Epiphone DR-500mce acoustic-electric - with stereo output so I can play through 2 amps at once. :)
    IMGP0021 (2).JPG

There are a few after these, but playing the rest are all about my mood.

11. mshehan

mshehan Electromatic

Aug 20, 2010
    SW Iowa
    1. 2005 Fender Esquire Custom Shop - Sunburst
    2. 2018 Collings I-35LC - Pelham Blue
    3. 2003 Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod - Candy Apple Red
    4. 2014 Gretsch Brian Setzer Black Phoenix
    5. (tie - I can’t decide)
    1999 Fender CS Nocaster or 2011 Gretsch 5191 Tim Armstrong.

That’s my Top 6 as it stands

12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Wow! Which is your favorite child, and please post it on the Internet for all the world to see? :)

I have four Gretsch. All of them are great guitars which sound roughly similar, but each has its own unique character. Perhaps, the best way I can express it, is which would I take were I invited to make the appearance of a lifetime. Suppose I was asked to play some big Nashville event and had no idea what I’d be playing, Surf, Chet, Classic Rock, Classic Country, you name it, but I had to choose one guitar to see me through. Without a doubt it would be my G6119-1959 with two pickups, both Duo-Trons. It’s just a great sounding guitar with a very broad range which it covers with only a pickup switch and a master volume control. It’s a 16” x 2.75” deep archtop with trestle bracing. Physically, it’s almost identical to a Brian Setzer Hot Rod, differing functionally because the the Duo-Trans. This was a home brew, with the neck pickup added after the fact and I created the wiring harness myself.

My G6122-1959 HOF, with two Supertrons, is probably the closest, with regard to versatility and quality of timbre, and it has the advantage of a tone control (which I rarely use) and a volume cut for the bridge pickup. Being a 17” body Country Gent with a closed top and trestle bracing, it has a fairly

The G-6119-62, also with two Supertrons, isn’t far behind the Country Gent. It’s probably a bit tighter sounding than the Gent, because of the smaller body and the Supertrons make for a very focused sound. It’s a wonderful Surf axe.

In fourth place is a guitar which is a sentimental favorite, the G6120-1962 (6120 DC) with Duo-Trons. This guitar sounds great, but there is a “snap” to the sound which doesn’t work in all settings. It’s ironic, because it has the warmest rhythm guitar sound, but it can come across with a bit of attitude for single note playing. It’s great for Blues and fingerstyle, but probably not great for mellow leads in all situations.

I guess that all of them are my favorite.

13. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Nr. 1 my G5422.
    Easy winner.
    No other guitars owner.
    :)

Pdnlegs and MichaelHargis like this.
  14. wilblee

wilblee Country Gent

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    My previous post was "guitars I enjoy the most". This group is "guitars I could play an entire gig with". Don’t get me wrong, I could play an entire gig with any of my guitars. I’d miss having a trem on some songs, if all I was playing was a stop tail. And have you ever tried playing the solo to Don’t Stop Believing in front of people on a single cut Falcon? I have. I don’t wanna talk about it.

So, here then are my favorite "guitars I could play an entire gig with".

Topping this list, as well, are the DGT and the 6121. Anything I can play, I wouldn’t hesitate to play on these.
    [​IMG]

Next up is the Green Genie. A 2000 American Deluxe Strat with GFS Dream 180s in the neck and bridge and a Pro-tube in the middle. The magic comes from the 4-position rotary Turnstyle switch that replaces the middle tone pot. Its analog circuit changes the characteristics of the Dream 180s. 1. Dream 180s, 2. Filtertrons, 3. Dynasonics, 4. Danelectro lipsticks. Very versatile sonically, plays like a good Strat should, and looks good doing it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one on the right is Red, an American Standard Tele with a F-brand Bigsby, Kinman Broadcaster pickups and control harness, and locking tuners added. The Kinman pups are noiseless awesomeness and the control harness has a 4-way switch that adds neck+bridge in series for hb-type tone.
    [​IMG]

The Genie and Red are my go to guitars for Christmas gigs.
    [​IMG]

After these, it’s pretty much the rest of my Strats in no particular order. I will single out Goldie for two reasons. I’ve owned it longer than any of my current guitars - and I’ve modified it less than any of my other Fenders. It still has its original pickups and pots (!!!). I did replace the caps with Russian PIOs (just to see) and moved the 2nd tone pot to the bridge pickup. I also replaced the anodized pick guard (because tone) with a gold sparkle one (because sparkle) and the gold Tele knobs with gold and pearl UFOs. Even before the mods it was a gorgeous guitar with Olympic white paint mixed with real gold dust, matching headstock, ebony board with MOP dots, and gold hardware. I’ve never taken a picture that does it justice.
    [​IMG]

Next up: I rate my stop tails.

15. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Synchromatic

May 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Wow that orange Danelectro looks amazing!

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    If I had to rank the 4 I play almost every day

The EC Strat, mim Tele and Gretsch 5620 all really tie for the number 1 spot.
    Second, 4th place I guess, goes to the Gretsch Pro Jet.

BE230E2C-5953-4E0D-AA48-E91EAD0212C7.jpeg 394A94E0-4017-4920-99D4-D95244C91430.jpeg ED3BC71E-B01B-4ED1-9584-E0B25C7924F9.jpeg 4D903987-00D6-4663-84A6-1D608C0C7165.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  17. Synchrosomatic

Synchrosomatic Electromatic

Nov 28, 2018
    Spain
    My #1 is the one I'm playing at any particular moment

guitars 2.jpg

LivingMyDream and wilblee like this.
  18. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    1. 68 Tele
    2. AVRI 57 Strat
    3. G6121W (with Dynas)

19. tdtom

tdtom Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    Takamine Gseries dreadnaught.
    Squier Stratomocaster
    Gretsch G2655 (#3 because I haven't really fallen in love with it yet)

20. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    1978 Gibson 355
    2013 Gretsch Panther
    2012 Les Paul Special
    Telecaster
    Reverend PA-1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.