Randy Richter new Sun records course

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    For anyone wanting to expand their Rockabilly list, Randy just released his new Sun rockabilly guitar course part 2. If you become a member of his Patreon page you can get course discounts.

https://www.udemy.com/course/the-sun-records-rockabilly-guitar-solos-part-2/

https://www.patreon.com/ducktailcat

Btw, my only connection with him is as a happy student of his courses. I’ve only communicated one time with a question and suggestion. So I’m posting more because it’s hard to find good lessons on authentic rockabilly.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  2. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I second that! I have a couple of Randy's Udemy courses and he is just great. Also one of the best teachers I have come across. There is no needless waffle and he's not one of those who mumbles what to do and then shreds through it to show you his mastery of the guitar. He plays '50s rockabilly extremely well.

Dave-B and Merc like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    For anyone wondering, the solo’s and songs covered are:

Mean Eyed Cat
    You Call Everybody Darling
    Baby Let’s Play House
    I’ve Got Love If You Want It
    Money, Money, Money
    Sweet And Easy
    Dixie Fried
    Born To Lose
    Mad Man

RomanS likes this.
  4. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, really like RR and Udemy is so cheap!

Merc likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Definitely affordable. Check your email if you’ve enrolled in any of his other courses. I received a discount being a prior student and scored a really great deal.

I’ll add that skimming it I’ve noticed a couple songs taught in their entirety and not just the intro and solos. Songs like Baby Let’s Play House, Dixie Fried, and Mad Man.

Yukimajo likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Looks like great stuff here . Enjoy future signer-uppers

NJDevil, Merc and Yukimajo like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Here’s an intro to one of the songs covered on it that was just madeavailable on YouTube, the classic Mean Eyed Cat. Although I can’t wait to learn Baby Lets Play House. :)

8. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Sent him a message in January and still haven't heard back. Love lessons though

9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Which medium did you use to send it to him? My message was sent via Udemy and he got back to me within 48 hours. Maybe he missed it somehow. If you still have the question I’d try it again. Or maybe through his email on his website.

https://www.randyrich.de/contact

Yeah, his lessons are great. I’m using them to hopefully get a Rockabilly thing going at some point.

10. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I used messenger through hhis Facebook page. Just curious about what amp he used for most of the lessons. That Gibson sounded so good

Merc likes this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    He might’ve used the same amp he talks about in this video at about 15:17. It’s an older video but he doesn’t seem one to change gear often.

12. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    As mentioned, that was the amp I liked. So wondered if he'd continued with it for the lessons. Plus I liked the video he'd done about slap back echo, it seems he'd built a real live tape echo into his amp

Merc likes this.
  13. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Leaned on his vids more than twice whilst being stuck on something

Merc likes this.
  14. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

This part of one of his course descriptions piques my interest:

• How A Blueberry Muffin Recipe Can Measure Your Progress

15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    lol... I’ve never noticed that. Now you’ve got me wondering.

16. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I love both Blueberry Muffins and Progress!

Yukimajo and Merc like this.
  17. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I always check Randy's videos, Randy and Damien Bacci are favorites of my on youtube

Merc likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Damien Bacci’s great as well. One thing that draws me a little more towards Randy is his song selection. But Bacci does cover more than just rockabilly which can be a good thing too.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    dougmon and 5120mantis like this.
  19. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Great thread Merc and thanks for sharing. The sample you posted is great also as it provides a "flavor" of how the lessons will proceed. Not slow, but useful to really get done to the "how" with the very thoughtful lick progression per note.

I certainly need to expand my Rockabilly knowledge as all to often I find it so easy to slip back into either playing the same licks I know or going into my main genre of Texas Blues.....then I get a little aggravated at myself, try to square-up to learn but only to find that impatience has crept in and I either have to put the guitar down or just play some acoustic instead.

Learning always is more constructive with solid instruction.

Merc and dougmon like this.
  20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for taking time to reply. Sometimes I hesitate posting threads like this with so much talent on here.

I’ve noticed with Randy that original 50’s rockabilly is his passion and craft. Which I think explains why he puts so much effort into getting it right.

My one communication with him a few courses back included asking if he could put out more than simply solo’s in his lessons. Just to put together a better whole package so I don’t simply learn the solo. Despite the extra time and work involved, his courses since always have some songs from start to finish. Aside from his quality, the fact he took my request to heart speaks volumes to me on his desire for teaching this style and his students.

NJDevil likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.