Randy Bachman finally finds stolen 1957 6120

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by GreTschocaster, Sep 30, 2021.

1. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Oh thats how Johnny lost the Ric! I knew it was stolen, but by other mucisian!

gretschfan likes this.
  2. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    Were they all ‘57 Chet Atkins 6120s? For some reason I thought there were some plain production spec 6120 in there that were not Chet Atkins models. Perhaps i’m wrong as I am certainly no gretsch expert.

3. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    Some would say they did you a solid. Those heads were problematic.

wabash slim likes this.
  4. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    That’s the rumor, although I am not sure it was ever 100% confirmed.

Attached Files:

juks likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I was running a Farfisa combo organ thru it. It was garbage with a guitar, but with the Devil's calliope, it wasn't all too bad. Considering that it replaced a late '50s 18 watt Gretsch 6163, the difference was massive. I got as much out of the speaker cab as I paid for the whole thing. Went to a Dual Showman after that.

gretschfan likes this.
  6. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    I never personally owned a Super Beatle, but played through quite a few and had friends who had owned them. I had a solid state Thomas Organ Pathfinder head that was pretty horrible sounding. For a keyboard they probably weren’t bad. But the big issue was reliability of these early solid state amps. The Super Beatles were known to smoke.

7. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

What ever happened to Farfisa?

8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sold it when I got my Hammond B-3. Sold that when I went into the service.

9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Heathkit sold Thomas organ kits, as well as guitar amp kits, that were very "Vox-ish". The Thomas/Vox era was the biggest mistake Vox ever made.

gretschfan likes this.
  10. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    Agreed. There is a reason that when the Beatles were loaned and even donated them on tour here they never brought them back over to the UK. On tour they and most more known bands that played them on tour had backups and often had to swap them out mid-set.

11. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    In the 1950s... every 6120 made was a "Chet Atkins" signature model guitar.

j.s.c likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Kinda seems right to me. Don't know much about the Ramones but I picture more of a junior than a ric. I'm sure it was just karma catching up with him.:rolleyes:

13. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Not sure what you are taking about karma. The Cheap Trick guy was in need of some karma if the story is true. Though, with some googling it appears unlikely that he was the culprit.

I don't remember ever seeing anything about Ramones strealing other bands gear. They were one of the hardest gigging i.e. working bands. 2263 gigs in 22 years.

Screenshot_20211007-190430_Chrome.jpg

Henry likes this.
  14. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    I just read an article on the CBC website which states that the 6120 with the DeArmond pickups that he lost was not the first one he had. The one he used to record the first Guess Who album was another orange 6120 but with Filtertron pickups. He sold it to my friend Bruce Burron in Winnipeg and then bought the one that got stolen. I actually played the first one 55 or so years ago.

manunk, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  15. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Johnny was a difficult guy. That maybe what is meant. He seduces Joey’s girlfriend from him (resulting in the song ‘the k k k took my baby away’) and could be generally a bully and unpleasant. He was it seems a sociopath unable to form an empathetic view of things.

16. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Marky's autobiography gives a good view in all that. It's quite entertaining read.

I do find it amazing that they played a gig almost every 3 days for 22 years! I think I'd be done in one year :)

dlew919 likes this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Great to hear. Say Randy a few years ago for one of his storyteller concerts, where he tells the tale behind some of his classic songs. (May have stretched the truth a few times!) Great show.

18. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    I r
    I remember this story.

19. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Dear God, yes! I've only ever got one of the Lost Souls back.....and then I sold her again. 1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.