Randy Bachman finally finds stolen 1957 6120

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by GreTschocaster, Sep 30, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
  2. Lister

Lister Gretschie

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    Did I hear that right, 1 of 35? And he's now owned 2 of them...dang. I'm happy for him as that guitar obviously has a boatload of sentimental value to him and his family.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. Lister

Lister Gretschie

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    mrfixitmi and stevo like this.
  4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Wow, the magical quest for lost 6120 is over. Might leave empty space in life. But within few notes, that's a good one. Like the tone very much; this is Gretsch Dearmond's Great sound we love!

5. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I never had a guitar stolen, but I did have a Super Beatle head stolen.

Serves them right.

MrWookiee, Henry, gretschfan and 3 others like this.
  6. manunk

manunk Gretschie

TY for posting a good-news story. And I only recall seeing him play Strats and Les Pauls !

7. petecarlton

petecarlton Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Nottingham, UK
    What a lovely story, and a lovely man - a real gent (what we call a toff!).

8. PrimitiveWood

PrimitiveWood Electromatic

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    Was that a Super Beatle?--as in "Fab Four"? or Super Beetle, as in VW ?

9. rocko

rocko Electromatic

Babys' coming home! congrats Randy!

j.s.c likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Beatle as in Fab Four, not Beetle as in VW. I've had a regular VW Beetle 1600, and an early '75 Rabbit, however. That amp was a beast to move. Thankfully, I had a Stude station wagon to haul it with, and friends willing to help lug it around.

11. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Very underrated indeed.

EarleG and thunder58 like this.
  12. Blakestyger

Blakestyger Newbie

Feb 23, 2021
    Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    I clearly remember seeing Randy play this first orange Gretsch 6120 at the Winnipeg teen dances with Chad Allen and The Reflections when I was just a high school teenager growing up in Winnipeg. Randy was always friendly and approachable as my buddy and I as amateur guitar players used to oogle his gear at intermission. He was the first in Winnipeg to own a Fender Super Reverb, somewhere around 1964-66 or so as best I can recall. Very pleased to hear he will soon have his prized axe back home where it belongs. Bravo Randy!

ZackyDog, new6659, db62 and 1 other person like this.
  13. EarleG

EarleG Electromatic

Dec 19, 2013
    Hendersonville TN
    He gets wonderful clarity out of that guitar. Glad to see it returned to him.

14. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    The Sex pistols apparently got their rig by waiting behind a Bowie show and emptying the trucks of gear. When Bowie found out he gave him their blessing apparently.

juks likes this.
  15. Green Hornet

Green Hornet Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Ever since I heard the story of Randy's guitar being stolen and it effecting him to the point of throwing up, it has really bothered me ever since. Now this heaviness has been lifted off of my chest knowing Randy is getting his beloved Gretsch back. It is like I can breathe a little deeper.

Henry and GreTschocaster like this.
  16. Colonel_White

Colonel_White Newbie

Sep 28, 2021
    Cerritos CA
    ... just expounding a little bit here- I think I understand the situation when low life thieves steal instruments from working musicians for the purpose of flipping a quick profit, but it's entirely lost on me how musicians steal from other musicians, then play these instruments as their own. One example of this is the story of the 1713 Gibson ex-Huberman Stradivarius. I would think that there would always be something in the way, mentally and spiritually, effecting a disconnect of the creative process. In other words, it would just feel wrong, at a very personal level. Anyhow, glad to hear that this quest has a happy ending.

17. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    Awesome story! Glad he found it! Such a cool guitar too!!!

18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Thieves don't have any conscience. They just want what others have and aren't willing to work for it. Trash, low life, scum is the best I can say about them.

19. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    I remember a story about Robin Zander from Cheap Trick apparently stealing Johnny Ramones Rickenbacker. The crazy part is he played it live and there was no mistaking that it was Johnny’s guitar. Talk about audacity.

20. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I'm a little baffled by that claim... since there were a few batches of '57 6120s made, totaling at least 600 units. Did randy's have some special feature that maybe makes it more uncommon??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.