Rancher pick guard question.

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by freddyfingers, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Hi all. I have the 12 string white falcon rancher bling machine. Below are photos of the pick guard i took off. I don't know much about these, and even with my $5 dollar Walgreens reading glass’s, i cant tell what i am trying to figure out. Are these made clear, and have the bottom spray painted to look gold, or is it a gold piece of plastic all the way through.

My goal is another pick guard with a photo under neath it. If i can sand off the finish on the bottom, will my photo come through, or do i need to buy a “custom one”, but for this guitar and my other rancher G5034tft, i don't want to spend custom money. The other rancher could use a black pickgaurd, or better, a black one with one of the photos i choose, but i am not finding any on line at a cheap price.

Attached Files:

2. Almost have a piece of sand paper ready,,,,,,,

3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I've never taken a close look at a Rancher, but if their pickguards are like other Gretsch guards, they're clear acrylic with gold sprayed on the back.

I wouldn't use sandpaper, though. You'll scratch the acrylic. If you know how to use a table router, you can buy a sheet of clear acrylic and use the existing pickguard as a template to cut a new one. Or if you're handy with Inkscape or Illustrator, you can scan your pickguard and order a new laser-cut guard from ponoko.com for very little money. I've made a couple of pickguards that way.

4. Thanks! Don’t have a router. I do have some heavy scissors.

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    if you take sandpaper to that pickguard you'll get the paint off but you'll also have the transparency of wax paper when youre finished :) Then you'l have the long haul task of slowly moving to finer and finer gauges of sandpaper until youre at 1400, etc plus I dont think its cast acrylic, rather its extruded and that gets weird with heat and warps.
    you need a replication made if you want a photo or print to show clearly from beneath.

section2 likes this.
  6. Thanks. Guess it’s time to cough up the dough.

7. I’m going to lowes later today. I will purchase a coping saw and a sheet or 2 of clear acrylic . Will see if i can trace the pick gaurd and cut one out by hand. If i dont destroy the plastic, light hand sand the edges. If it works, i can make one for under 20, with the ability to make others. If it dont, you will probably hear the cussing from where your at.

section2 likes this.
  8. So,,,,,,,, coping saws , i am simply not coping with it. The acrylic i got was .08. Thinner than the current pickgaurd, but it would work. Coping saw cracked it. Couldn’t cut it with a razor knife. Jig saw did a little better, but easily can crack it as well. I eventually got one that was similar in shape to what i traced, but looked like i did it in a hurricane. So i am ordering a little thicker acrylic, clear and black. Should be here in a few days. Gives me time to cool down. So far i am still below the lowest price i was quoted for a custom pickgaurd.

9. Somewhat success. And by success i mean i did cut a finger off. I ordered a Drexel saw from amazon. Once i got the blade in, and did a practice cut, things went a lot easier. Although I traced it accurately, this being my first cut, its not exact. But i know i can get closer the next time. Hardest part was getting the holes wider at the top to flush mount the screws. Wont tell you how i did that as its not up to luthier code. My wife does not care for the photo of her i put in there and i will probably find another thats larger anyway. But at least i know i can cut one and make my own designs. It has a goldfish edge due to a glitter paint pen my wife had for crafts.

Next i get rid of the brownish one that comes with the G5034tft. That will probably be black, or i may make a two piece thin clear and add a photo in that as well.

Attached Files:

section2 likes this.
  10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
  11. LeSainte

LeSainte Electromatic

Oct 4, 2021
    New York
    Congratulations on your guitar. I have the 12 String Rancher Falcon acoustic and I love the thing to absolute death.

I have never removed my pickguard, but that effect is one of the first things I've noticed. It is almost certainly a clear piece of plexi with the bottom painted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.