Quilter SuperBlock US

giffenf

Synchromatic
Oct 26, 2008
Los Angeles
It's a great little amp. I use mine live with 2 1x12 Quilter cabs and it gets plenty loud, and sounds great doing it.
rbrig.jpg
qcloseup.jpg

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
I gigged with a Superblock US when our driver pulled out of a gig. The venue found me a Marshall 2x12 and it really sounded great. Guitar, couple of pedals and the Superblock easy on the train

giffenf

Synchromatic
Oct 26, 2008
Los Angeles
Dude...this is brilliant. I followed the link on the face of your innovative creation there.

Thank you very much. Tavo said something to the effect of “You should win an award for that” when I built it, but I’m just happy if someone reads the story once in a while.

I’d forgotten that in that original post I wrote, I had alluded to controlling things with MIDI using a Roland FC-300 foot controller. A few years later I did just that, but it was so huge due to my throwing everything I could think of into it, I stopped gigging with it. But late last year another inspiration took hold and I downsized it into something fairly giggable (so far, I’ve only done one gig with it, and have two more this weekend, so we’ll see). That diatribe can be found here: https://frankgiffen.com/welcome/

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Given you've already got great tube amps, and analog pedals, how are planning to use this little SS Superblock ??
I really like the blackface fender clean tone as a foundation for a pedal platform. As much as I'd like to still have the Fender Pro Reverb I had in the late 80s, this one I can carry out of the house. Great for jam night.
For recording I've got a few good tube amps to choose from that I can mic up.

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Thank you very much. Tavo said something to the effect of “You should win an award for that” when I built it, but I’m just happy if someone reads the story once in a while.

I’d forgotten that in that original post I wrote, I had alluded to controlling things with MIDI using a Roland FC-300 foot controller. A few years later I did just that, but it was so huge due to my throwing everything I could think of into it, I stopped gigging with it. But late last year another inspiration took hold and I downsized it into something fairly giggable (so far, I’ve only done one gig with it, and have two more this weekend, so we’ll see). That diatribe can be found here: https://frankgiffen.com/welcome/
Buddy that's feckin brilliant!

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
I really like the blackface fender clean tone as a foundation for a pedal platform. As much as I'd like to still have the Fender Pro Reverb I had in the late 80s, this one I can carry out of the house. Great for jam night.
For recording I've got a few good tube amps to choose from that I can mic up.

yeah that's exactly how I'd use it.
Plus if I ever get to gig again it could be a decent emergency backup for my tube amps.

I've got a little Vox MV50 AC amp that fills the same role atm.
But the Superblock looks just as good plus has an FX loop and reverb :)

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
yeah that's exactly how I'd use it.
Plus if I ever get to gig again it could be a decent emergency backup for my tube amps.

I've got a little Vox MV50 AC amp that fills the same role atm.
But the Superblock looks just as good plus has an FX loop and reverb :)

My first Quilter was a ProBlock 200, which had a decent built-in reverb but was just waaay too much amp for my needs. So I downsized to a 101 Mini, which promptly sent me down the rabbit hole on a two year quest for the perfect reverb pedal. While I like the 101, I find I only use the Tweed or Surf voicings. The SuperBlock gives me those, as well as built in reverb and XLS direct out if need be. Good to have options.

As much as I love my F50 combo, it's a beast to move around, so I'm moving to head and cab setups going forward. I already have a nice 112 oversized cab with a Tone Tubby GMC in it, and room in the budget for a 212 cab if I want. Still going back and forth between a Mark V 25 head or a Trinity OSD (a 35W Dumble Skyliner clone https://www.trinityamps.com/product/trinity-osd/ ) as a replacement for the F50 combo. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
My first Quilter was a ProBlock 200, which had a decent built-in reverb but was just waaay too much amp for my needs. So I downsized to a 101 Mini, which promptly sent me down the rabbit hole on a two year quest for the perfect reverb pedal. While I like the 101, I find I only use the Tweed or Surf voicings. The SuperBlock gives me those, as well as built in reverb and XLS direct out if need be. Good to have options.

As much as I love my F50 combo, it's a beast to move around, so I'm moving to head and cab setups going forward. I already have a nice 112 oversized cab with a Tone Tubby GMC in it, and room in the budget for a 212 cab if I want. Still going back and forth between a Mark V 25 head or a Trinity OSD (a 35W Dumble Skyliner clone https://www.trinityamps.com/product/trinity-osd/ ) as a replacement for the F50 combo. Stay tuned.

ok :)
The Trinity OSD looks an interesting Canadian amp - Dumble clone.
Have you played/tested one out yourself ?

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
ok :)
The Trinity OSD looks an interesting Canadian amp - Dumble clone.
Have you played/tested one out yourself ?
No, it's hard to do so since they're either built to order, or shipped as a kit. So I'm forced to rely on testimonials and YouTube vids. :-( On the plus side, the little 5W Champ clone kit I bought from Trinity last year was really first rate. I'd feel ok ordering another one from them.