Questions from a Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Jesse A, Oct 13, 2021 at 6:46 PM.

1. Jesse A

Jesse A Newbie

Wednesday
    Delaware
    Hi all,

My name is Jesse, and I'm a new Gretsch owner. I've visited this forum regularly for good information, and I've found it to be a really nice place.

I recently purchased a Streamliner 2627t. I had played one at a local GC and really fell in love with the feel of the neck as well as the myriad of tones that I could get out of the pickup combinations, so I ordered one in Shoreline Gold when they went on sale. (hence the pic).

I've been playing it for a few months, and I've hit a few snags. Two things that I have noticed: one, it appears to have a grounding issue. Interestingly, it happens when I use the Bigsby, and only rarely, but when it does, the volume drops or disappears completely. I've rewired hollow body and semi hollows before, so I'm not scared.

I've also discovered that the bridge pickup has a markedly lower output than the neck and middle. In fact, I've only recently noticed that the bridge pickup is a dud because the neck and middle pickups sounded so good. It might be connected to the grounding issue. I haven't ohmed it out yet, and the pickup height is commensurate with the other two in relation to the strings.

Since I'm going to be digging in the wire, and since it is a nice-if-not-precious guitar, I'm contemplating some sort of filtertron style pickups. I've never owned a guitar with filtertrons before, and this guitar really sold me on the three humbucker approach. (I rewired a Squier Strat with three humbuckers after buying the Gretsch. It's the best sounding Squier I've ever owned now.)

Neck and bridge filtertrons are to taste I know, but what would be a good middle position filtertron? Has anyone had any experience with Guitar Fetish filtertrons? I'd go TV Jones, but I hate buying pickups that would be worth more than the guitar.

Thanks in advance.
    Jesse

Jerzey Bob and thunder58 like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Jesse!
    welcome mat 130.jpg

Jesse A likes this.
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
  4. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome to the forum Jesse. Sorry I can't offer any help with the streamliner - never had one in my hands. Somebody should be along shortly that has some ideas for you.

cheers

Jesse A and Archtops like this.
  5. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How ya doin'?
    Grounding might be the problem. Just make sure the wire that sit's under the Bigsby is making good contact.

new6659, pmarinovich and Jesse A like this.
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome! If you bought the guitar new, odds are that it's still under warranty, in which case you should be able to take it to any authorized Gretsch dealer for a free repair.

But it sounds like you know what you're doing and you're planning on getting in there anyway to replace the pups.

I don't have any experience with GFS Filters, but I have guitars with Blacktop Filtertrons, HS Filtertrons, and TV Jones. All are good. Blacktops are great pickups for the price, and they take distortion very well. HS Filtertrons are fantastic pickups at any price—they're pro-quality pickups in every way, but not as pricey as TVJs. I think they give the best bang for the buck. TVJs are excellent, of course, but HS Filters come very close for a lot less money. I'm not sure I can hear a difference between them, though opinions may differ.

Keep us posted!

LivingMyDream, new6659 and Jesse A like this.
  8. Jesse A

Jesse A Newbie

Wednesday
    Delaware
    Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I considered warranty work, but I'm not really good at keeping paperwork. Or boxes. In fact, I used the box to sell another guitar on Reverb shortly after I got this one. I kind of like mucking about in guitar electronics; it's a great learning experience.

I will definitely investigate HS Filtertrons. Thanks for the heads up!

section2 likes this.
  9. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Welcome! Before you get too crazy check out a few of the threads on the Streamliner forum. Someone asked juat today, what the Streamliners are like, and awhile back there was a long thread about the pickups (Easy Mod for Broad'tron...). Sounds like your bridge pickup may need more than a mod though.
    Congrats and enjoy your new guitar!

Jesse A likes this.
  10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

You've gotten good advice already, Jesse, so I'll just say welcome to Gretsch-Talk!

Jesse A likes this.
  11. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Welcome. And a BIG +1 for the HS Filtertrons. I expected to replace them for the TVJ’s when I bought my used Country Club (my first Gretsch as well) but I just love them and can’t imagine swapping them out.

section2 and Jesse A like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend . I've never heard anything bad about Guitar Fetish products ( pick ups ) , but remember , their not T.V. Jones

Jesse A likes this.
  13. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    If you bought it from GC online you should be able to get a receipt from them online. I got one from them even without an account. They can look it up

section2 and Jesse A like this.
  14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    What he said.

If you’re familiar with wiring, you are probably ahead of the game just doing it yourself.

Jesse A likes this.
  15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Jesse and welcome to G-T.

Congrats on the new guitar. I bought one at the sale price also, in Shoreline Gold.

Just finishing installing the BriggsFix on mine. No thoughts on pickup changes at the moment.

Good luck on chasing your ground problem.

Jesse A likes this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  17. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Welcome Jesse. Best of luck with your guitar. Sounds like you're far from being a "newbie", only as a member here. Enjoy the forum.

Jesse A likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.