Question: Reverb seller “offer rejection” protocol

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Sep 21, 2021.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I just put an offer in on a guitar, almost full price I might add, and not a peep from the seller. It expired in 24 hrs. Is that standard to just let the offer expire. Is that the technique for rejecting an offer?

It also happed to me awhile back and I got a quick response from the seller shortly after it expired apologizing for missing the offer because he was camping and said resubmit the same offer and it would be accepted…It was

2. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I do that because I’ve had a lot of lowballs and rude follow ups when I turn down offers. If I’m far away on a price or if I get a bad vibe from a buyers questions and think they’re going to be a problem I just don’t respond.

Merc, ruger9 and radd like this.
  3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think the expiration without acceptance conveys all necessary information. I don't think a response is necessary. I've had the same happen to me. I don't think it is rude, it's just business and how online shops work imo.

With your other experience, the seller wanted to accept the offer and that's why the seller followed up. Otherwise they probably would have let it pass too.

4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I think it is probably more likely that somehow the message about the offer didn't arrive, is in his spam, or who knows what. Now if it was a real lowball offer, It may have just been ignored. That's my take on it anyway.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  5. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I always respond. I don’t understand ghosting clients/customers. I’m a grown up and capable of polite disagreement. If someone responds to me in a rude manner, I’ll still conduct myself according to my own ethics.

If I’m in your shoes, I would message the seller to follow up. Never assume—verify.

6. I respond very quickly to anyone that either asks a question, or makes an offer. Always keep things polite and professional. There is no reason in 2021 that you don't get instant alerts/emails on your phone from reverb. It take seconds to respond. If for some reason I list something and i get multiple offers quickly, and i think i may get more, i will reply to anyone that sent a offer and either reject it, counter it, and follow up with why. Open and honest. Not everyone works that way, but I believe that should be business 101. Please don't post a item then go off to some cave on a retreat and not respond, then come back and say “ sorry, i was in a cave and didn't think enough about my business to put the add on hold.

Thats my rant. Either you want to sell or you dont. If you can type an add, you can type a timely response. I had people in completely different time zones respond quickly.

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Life is too short to get worked up about stupid stuff. Especially from a stranger on an online marketplace.

If this were someone in a physical store that you walked up to and talked to, sure common courtesy says they respond.

But imo the 24 hour expiration is there precisely so we all don't waste time being "polite" to online strangers.

8. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    My experience on Reverb has been ok, buying or selling. Not sure about a response to an offer less than asking price is required. I have never had a response and my std offer was for fgt fees to be paid by seller. Now, if I were to buy I would simply hit the button knowing it's the price I'm willing to pay with freight. Online does not follow old school retail models. Heck even they don't exist anymore. I never have been good at chipping away at an asked price but I do research and know the range going in. If the item is priced outside of that average range it's a nonstarter anyway. I pass

9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I never heard back from a cabinet maker shop, more than one, so I gave up and decided to just make my own, still in the drawing up plan phase. It will take me longer, but will be a fun project.

mrfixitmi and Craig Encinitas like this.
  10. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I always respond. Even stupid lowball offers. I usually respond with something polite but factual like “Unfortunately i dont think you are going to find a such and such in playable condition for that price but i wish you luck”.

Craig Encinitas and oneforsorrow like this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I’m not worked up at all, just curious about the standard protocol, if such a thing existed.

I decided not to follow up on my offer, it was the only offer on the guitar. To me it felt like a seller I did not want to deal with. I have purchased way to many items, including guitars, on Reverb the last few years and I treat the sellers like the Craigslist sellers I have dealt with….I trust my gut. Almost all have been very helpful and prompt.

I never low ball. All to often I just pay the asking price like I did for a different guitar after this offer expired.

mrfixitmi and Henry like this.
  12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's annoying but pretty common. It's the same as a decline most of the time. Rarely the person might not have seen it, but Reverb and eBay notify you in so many ways it's hard to ignore. If it's something you really wanted, maybe follow up but it's probably futile. I always respond, a straight out decline if it's a ridiculous offer, or a counter if it's somewhat reasonable.

No response to questions bothers me more, as it's either flat out rude or sign of a bad seller. I was looking at a Kay husk recently, sent some questions to the seller and got no response. I was all set to grab it depending on the answers, but decided it was time to move on. He lost a sale. I must not be the only one as it's been for sale for awhile.

13. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Haven't any bad experiences there, though only have bought 3 times. I would take non-response as decline of my offer.

14. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    If it's a ridiculous lowball offer, I reply with a price above asking price :D

15. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Remember your offer notifies all other watchers of the item. The seller could have been waiting to see if a better offer comes in. I've done this as a seller, but I typically decline before it expires. YMMV.

I also suspect some sellers (like a retailer with hundreds of listings) don't know they can disable the 'accepts offers'. So they just ignore them.

Groutsch and Craig Encinitas like this.
  16. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    If it’s an item you really want, there’s the “message seller option”. I would do that if your offer wasn’t responded to. No response from a message…move on.

I bypassed the offer section on a local purchase.
    It was done via phone call.

17. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    In contrast, I got some really good information when I started looking for amp/cabinet parts from a cabinet hardware and parts supplier on Reverb, so that has actually been a good experience.

18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Protocol ??............. obviously you're not from New York :p

19. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    There’s no real protocol that I’m aware of. If it’s a low ball offer I don’t reply. If it’s within reason than I counter or reply. That being said, even in today’s modern age not everyone sets up there email to give them phone alerts. It drives me crazy due to junk mail to get alerts throughout the day and I’d rather just check it daily. They could have simply been busy in life snd missed it. But that raises an issue on how fast it may ship or how well it’s packed. Try a message if you really still want it and it’s a rare or something. If there’s no reply, simply move on. Assuming it’s not vintage, there’s likely lots out there willing to sell and take your money.

20. Groutsch

Groutsch Synchromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    The buyer is committed to his offer for 24 hours, during which time the seller might receive better offers, so it's in the seller's interest to sit on the offer (if it's acceptable) until the 24 hours is almost expired.

Reverb keeps track and downgrades sellers who don't respond promptly to offers and other messages. On your seller's dashboard, you can see your stats. You qualify for the "Quick Responder" icon only if you respond to offers within 12 hours on average, so it's in a seller's interest at least to reject (or counter) lowball offers promptly rather than letting them expire on their own.

BTW, I'm annoyed that I don't qualify for "Quick Responder" because my average response to messages is reportedly more than 16 hours. I can only imagine that someone wrote "Thanks!" and I didn't bother replying.

Anyway, if Reverb displays the "Quick Responder" icon for a seller, it's likely that your offer will get a response before it expires.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.