Question Regarding Quick-Connext Clips in CB Electromatics

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by rambleon, Sep 20, 2015.

1. rambleon

rambleon Gretschie

Mar 17, 2015
    Brooklyn NY
    I have a G5622T and I heard these guitars came with quick-connect clips that connected the pickups to the rest of the wiring harness. I unscrewed the bridge pickup ring and sure enough there they were. Pretty nifty if you want to change pickups.
    However, I have a really silly question regarding the quick connect clips- how does one release the existing wiring? There doesn't seem to be any screw and I pressed down on the little plastic tab on top and tugged on the wires but they didn't budge at all. I was wary of using too much force for fear of breaking the clip or the tab. Any help would be much appreciated! I've included a picture of the cavity with the quick connect clip.
    [​IMG]

2. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Sometimes you have to pull the tab back. Molex plastic is pretty strong. You can pull the connectors as hard as you want, but be gentle with the tab.

On the other hand. even if the tab breaks... it's probably not really necessary considering the guitar isn't under extreme vibrations and the pickups aren't being tugged on.

Molex is more commonly used in computer's and IC's. Both are kinda dumb in guitars if you ask me.

Kmonz90 likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi rambleon,

Have an accurate look to these connectors - use a magnifier if necessary - and you will easily discover how the tab works for securing the connection : there is no great mystery, just a bit of watchmaker skillness :D...

Would you let me know which bridge you are using on your G5622T, as shown on your picture ?

I still have the original tunomatic-gretsch on my G5622T LH, but I was planning to change it for a Gretsch Rocking Bar Bridge, like I have on my G5420T LH

Thanks !

A+!

4. rambleon

rambleon Gretschie

Mar 17, 2015
    Brooklyn NY
    Thanks guys, I'll take another look.
    @hcsterg - I haven't decided yet whether i want to change the stock Super HiLo Trons. I really like the way they sound....i was just exploring the possibility of a future pickup swap.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    @rambleon I think he's talking about the bridge bridge rather than bridge pickup. Looks like a Compton.

I've also thought long and hard about swapping pickups, tv classics and/or supertron, but there are some tones that I don't want to give up, and they require all 3!

6. rambleon

rambleon Gretschie

Mar 17, 2015
    Brooklyn NY
    Oh yes, it's a stainless steel Compton bridge.

Kmonz90 likes this.
  7. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    you can remove the clips as lizardkinged describrd, but chances are if your changing pickups, you are going to need to snip the quick connects and solder the new pickups as the new ones wont likely have a quick connect.

8. rambleon

rambleon Gretschie

Mar 17, 2015
    Brooklyn NY
    I took another shot at them and I have them figured out now; pretty easy once you get a hang of it. I actually like the connectors...you don't have to fish around for the pots and deal with soldering through the cat's eye cutouts.
    Now I just need to figure out what kind of connectors they use so I can buy the same type and connect the male end to the new pickups, should I decide to change them. I would prefer not to snip them and solder the wire if it can be helped. I emailed Gretsch customer service to ask about the connectors. Hopefully they'll have a helpful response.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, I have the same request... If you discover the answer, I am intererested too !

The DC SHT are wonderfully sounding, but a bit unshielded so they are somewhat sensitive to electric buzzz...

Fine - thanks. No tuning stability issue with that ? (I mean : compared to a RBB)

A+!

10. rambleon

rambleon Gretschie

Mar 17, 2015
    Brooklyn NY
    No definitely no problems with tuning stability. I find that it also helps with sustain a little. I have those bridges on 2 of my guitars now.

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    OK, rambleon - thanks !

A+!

12. rambleon

rambleon Gretschie

Mar 17, 2015
    Brooklyn NY
    OK, I received an email from Gretsch customer service saying they do not have the quick connects listed in their inventory and hence cannot tell me where I might be able to buy more. I am quite disappointed with their service, to be honest.

13. dinks

dinks Country Gent

Dec 18, 2014
    Kansas
    That's something that should be pretty easy to find in a computer hardware store or computer service company. Those types of connectors are used inside PCs all the time, so it should be easy enough to find. Not terribly surprising that Gretsch doesn't have them on then inventory if they only did that for a short time period.

14. I always thought easy connect pickups should be in all guitars. As I am a poor solderer. Wondered why it didn't catch on with more manufacturers

15. For example, I have a set of p 90's I would love to try in my hotrod but I am too scared to mess up the finish installing a different size pickup. If they just snapped in place , I would be good to go. This is a million dollar idea, for free, to whoever figures it out. I just ask for a few free sets of pickups.

16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The problem is there is no world standard for the colour coding...So you would need adapter plugs if changing brand of pickups.
    You could use plugs allowing for options, like an ethernetplug, but wiring those up never made it big in hobby enthusiast's circles for a reason.

Kmonz90 likes this.
  17. Sounds like a way to bring the world together! Give peace a chance!

Ricochet likes this.
  18. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    It's not that complicated... it's a 2 conductor molex connector. You're more than likely just going to have to order male and female ones and replace both sides...

Just solder your new pickups to the pots like you're supposed to and get it over with...

Search for molex connectors on google and you'll get thousands of options and just find it easier to order both M and Female at the same time.

Kmonz90 likes this.
  19. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I've gone that route with Cat-5 (Ethernet plug) as I do a lot of IT and used to make a lot of cross over cables for machine-machine data transfers before Wi-Fi got so quick.

It works OH-KAY. No limiting sound. But those clips are just too damn fragile even if you buy higher quality ends, and the keystone jacks of any type inside the guitar are a PITA too. I actually got really really far into an idea to make pickups plug and play...

We're a long way away from that... and even now I see how short sighted my idea is/was...

You just can't substitute some coil-shapes for others. even with intense modding. a Strat sized JB just wont sound like a SH4.

I was mostly into the idea when I was too broke to afford multiple instruments. Now I'm more in the camp of "buy what you want and be happy with it"

Variety is the spice of life, and while I tend to gravitate toward the same pickups and pickup combos overall I pick what's going to be the most dynamic for what I like to play. Nothing's perfect. but oh well. That's where character/style and skill come into play. Working around limitations. Or just have Gretsch Gibson AND PRS. That will usually cover your bases.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  20. rambleon

rambleon Gretschie

Mar 17, 2015
    Brooklyn NY
    You missed the point of this thread. I wanted to be able to change pickups out, keeping the wiring as original as possible. It would also be easy to just reconnect the old stock pickups. If I'm going to cut the connectors and re-solder new ones on the harness and pickups, well, I'd rather just solder the new pickup leads directly to the harness wiring.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice