Question about the G2657TG Streamliner Center Block Jr. Double-Cut with Bigsby

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by GenghisBomb, Oct 15, 2021.

1. GenghisBomb

GenghisBomb Electromatic

Sep 26, 2021
    Canada
    I have been shopping for a Gretsch, and played this today and really liked it. It has a wonderful chime, but still a bit of meat to it.

I was surprised to see that the pickups on it are listed as the BT-2S, which are the same pickups on the cheapest Gretsch there is, the Streamliner Junior Jet.

Here's what's peculiar tho, it sounded *completely* different to me than the Junior Jet.

So the G2657TG is around $600 USD, and gives me a semi-hollow, but with the smaller more playable body. Definitely intrigued. Thoughts?

Randy99CL, Archtops and mrfixitmi like this.
  2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Those Streamliner Jrs are great little guitars. I had one and really enjoyed it. The body size is perfect. I didn't love the first-generation Broadtrons in mine, but I haven't heard the newer BT-2S pups.

Rather than the 2657T, I'd suggest buying a 2655 with the stoptail, and then buying an aftermarket Bigsby B3 (or B30) and a Towner Down Tension Bar. This will give you the same guitar with a better Bigsby, and an adjustable tension bar, for about the same price. I went that route with my 2655 and was very happy. Or if you've got your heart set on the 2657TG, you can improve the Bigsby by adding a BiggsFix tension roller.

If you like junior hollow bodies, check out the 5655T as well. It's a single-cut junior semi-hollow from the Electromatic line, which is a step up in quality. You might find a good used one for the same price as a new Streamliner.

mrfixitmi and GlenP like this.
  3. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Couldn't agree more, my son purchased a "demo" G2655T off of a seller on eBay. It was brand new except for the poly film removed from one of the pickups. This has the B50 Bigsby on it, and the angle is steep. It does keep tune well, but I am not sure how long the strings will survive the steep angle. I am installing the BiggsFix today. Since he will be using it in an Orchestra pit, string failure during a show is not a good thing. Bang for the buck, I feel that you can't go wrong.

section2 and Archtops like this.
  4. GenghisBomb

GenghisBomb Electromatic

Sep 26, 2021
    Canada
    So what you're saying is that the licensed Bigsbys are bad? What do you think about the Junior Jet? I thought about grabbing one of those as a "starter" Gretsch.

5. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    That is an excellent question, thanks for asking us.
    I think I may share what @section2 is advising.
    With a simple tailpiece (stop tail), there is enough distance from the tail to the bridge that the downward angle is more kind to the strings. I have a G5230 with the "Gretsch V-Stoptail", and it plays excellent, without any binding.
    From my viewpoint, I would not say that any of the Bigsbys are bad, they are excellent.
    What I am trying to say is that when these are used and the pressure roller is placed too close to the saddle, the down ward angle is so steep that the strings can bind on the saddle.
    If the strings bind after using the tremlo, this causes the guitar to go out of tune after use. Using a Bigsby on the longer body guitars, this is not an issue.
    If you do desire a tremlo, you may want to modify the down ward pressure placed on the saddle, if the guitar tends to go out of tune after the tremlo use.
    There is a picture on Brick's BridgeFix, that may illustrate the point.

I have used this product for my own Jr. Body guitars that experience these issues.
    I hope that this helps explain.
    https://bricksbiggsfix.com/pages/about

GenghisBomb and section2 like this.
  6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    IMO the BT-2S pickups are not bad at all, I like mine, but they sound more like a PAF with less Gretsch chime than what many here want. They are standard on quite a few of the Streamliners, mine are on my G2622.
    One good thing is that they are standard HB sized so can be easily replaced.

I'd check into the new 2021 models with the P-90s and see if you like the pickups more. Center Block :: G2655-P90 Streamliner™ Center Block Jr. Double-Cut P90 with V-Stoptail, Laurel Fingerboard, Brownstone (gretschguitars.com)

Not trying to state the obvious but a semi-hollow (or hollowbody) with the same pickups will sound different than a solidbody. You can also hear it comparing a Les Paul to an ES-335, for example.

Many of us are here because I think Gretsch has nailed the semi and hollowbody guitar. I am not knocking the jets (they are fantastic too) and other brands but in my price range I've not heard any others sound and play as good as my Gs.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    new6659 and mrfixitmi like this.
  7. GenghisBomb

GenghisBomb Electromatic

Sep 26, 2021
    Canada
    I tried one of the P90 models, and wasn't super impressed. That said, I didn't really "dig in" on it, and may give one of them another go. I have heard that the new Gretsch P90's are great, and they look super funky! Almost looks like a part from an old transistor radio!

I like the Blacktop Broadtrons a lot, I have played two models with those, and they have a nice chime, while still having some meat.

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.