Putting my 5422 to work in a new band...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by EssEll, Jun 13, 2020.

1. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Whoa!!
    I’ll bet they do!

2. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    A better shot, here, of the guitar... you can't see it real well but this is a pearloid pickguard (not stock) to which I added the vinyl-lettering Gretsch logo...

[​IMG]

jm99 likes this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Good luck with the band. Beautiful guitar.

4. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Thank you very much!

5. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    “Starting a band”... ay-yi-yi...
    I’m sure many of you know the process. It ain’t a smooth road!

Waxhead likes this.
  6. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Well for anyone interested, that "new band" John Hiatt tribute project has now turned into an entirely different "new band" thing. Filling the roles with the right people and talent turned out to be more of a challenge than expected with the John Hiatt project, and then an opportunity arose for me to front a working and very established working Americana/Country/Country-Rock band, doing lead vocals and rhythm guitar, with a great rehearsal AND recording studio just 11 miles from my home, and some great personnel -- so I'll be going that route, with both my 5422 and my Telecaster in regular rotation, hopefully.

The John Hiatt thing still would have been very cool; I was enjoying it and we did have a great lead-guitar guy that was nailing all the Sonny Landreth and other needed lead styles. Oh well... Rockin' on.....

GlenP and Waxhead like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well I think you made the right move as I've never actually heard of John Hiatt and not sure how many other people have these days. Good luck with new project :D

EssEll likes this.
  8. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Hiatt is one of the most prolific American folkish-countryish-Americana-rock songwriters and performers of this generation. He’s still playing but getting up there. Quite the extensive catalog of recordings, and a fantastic lyricist. If that kind of genre interests you at all, check out his tunes Slow Turning, Memphis in the Meantime, Thing Called Love, Little Head, It’ll Come To You, Tennessee Plates, Cry Love, Drive South, Paper Thin, Perfectly Good Guitar, Real Fine Love... and lots more. And thanks for the good wishes!

Waxhead likes this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I had to look him up on Wikipedia :D
    I'm not into that music style so that's why I never heard of him.

EssEll likes this.
  10. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    I get it! I'm guessing you're quite a bit younger than me -- and on the other side of the planet too. He's not a huge name here with the average Joe, but I'm sure most musicians 40 or older are fairly familiar with him.

PS -- we seem to have a lot of the same kinds of guitars -- Strat, Tele, Gretsch 5422, Jazz bass... You're obviously a very intelligent guy! :D

GlenP and Waxhead like this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hehehe thanks - and so are you - good luck with the new band :D

EssEll likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.