Putting Chet Atkins wire handle on a B60??

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by GuitarGene, Jan 11, 2021.

1. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    Hi, I wonder have any of you successfully put a Bigsby Chet Atkins wire handle on a B60? I have a new G5420T on the way and I think I will try to do that. I have two Reverend guitars equipted with B-50s and would like to try the wire on on the G5420. I can get the handle here:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/handle-bigsby-chet-atkins-complete-assembly

I emailed the shop and they replied 'Offical Bigsby products are not directly compatible with licensed Bigsby products like the B60 unit' but that does not mean it cannot be done. I have done lots of mods on guitars over the years that weren't normal or needed a bit of thinking about it advance but got them done.

I have read that to do this I may have to drill out the hole wider or something but that no big deal.

Have any of you performed this mod on an Electromatic G5420T, if so how did you get on?

Also, have any of you compared the Reverend 'Revtron' or 'Retroblast' pickups to the blacktop filtertrons found in the electromatic G5420T or to the TV Jones ones, how do they compare?

Thanks in advance, Eugene.

BentFX likes this.
  2. BentFX

BentFX Electromatic

Dec 15, 2020
    Pacific NW, USA
    On the B-70 the fit of the shaft is really close. Just used a round file to open up the hole in the replacement slightly. Worked like a champ.

MyGirlGretta likes this.
  3. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    Good stuff, I use the 'soft' springs that the Reverends come with. Reeves Gabrels found one he liked form a bike gearbox or something and Reverend get them made to spec somewhere. They make for very smooth trem use

BentFX likes this.
  4. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Gretschie

Jul 23, 2012
    ca
    I drilled it. Forget bit size. Works great.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    BentFX likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum

GuitarGene likes this.
  6. Skydog

Skydog Gretschie

Dec 19, 2014
    Indiana
    I like the amplified parts site, but that's a totally crap answer! Seems everyone is afraid of their own shadow anymore. Makes you wanna' sneak up behind them and holler, “Boo!”.

Edit: maybe the janitor answered your email? I went to AP site and found the following under the FAQ:

Can the Chet Atkins bar replace the flat bar as it is on a bigsby B60 or does there need to be a modification?
    Asked by Anonymous on April 24th, 2016.
    JustinG
    April 26th, 2016
    [​IMG]Staff Member
    [​IMG]Top Contributor
    If I'm correct the B60 is from the licensed line. All Bigsby parts are designed to work with the U.S.A. Kalamazoo line. Using this arm with the licensed model may require modification.
    Anonymous
    August 5th, 2017
    Yes, the large hole on the assembly needs to be drilled or reamed to 10mm to fit the licensed Bigsbys.
    Anonymous
    June 8th, 2019
    Would this handle work on the new gretsch G5230T guitar without drilling?
    BradWbr
    June 10th, 2019
    [​IMG]Staff Member
    The G5230T uses a Bigsby B50 unit, which will most likely require modification to the unit to install this bar.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  7. Skydog

Skydog Gretschie

Dec 19, 2014
    Indiana
    10 mm

MyGirlGretta likes this.
  8. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    Thanks for doing that research Skydog......

9. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Gretschie

Jul 23, 2012
    ca
    Yeah thanks Skydog. I figured I would just Google later but got crazy sick. Neg covid test at least.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  10. jay_mci

jay_mci Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    indiana
    10mm is correct i put a duane eddy handle on my b60 I used a ream to do it

MyGirlGretta likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.