Pure nickel strings

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Chmason85, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I haven’t played pure nickel strings in quite a long time, and only ever on guitars with dynas/P90s/fender single coils, but never with humbuckers. I’m wondering if anyone here uses pure nickel with their filtertron/broadtron equipped axes? I’ve only been using Stringjoy for a while now, and I just got a 6228 with the BT65 pickups and wanted to try the Stringjoy broadways on my next string change. Would pure nickel make it sound too dark or take the snap away, or add clarity and articulation? I play pretty clean so however they may be under heavy gain or drive doesn’t affect me. Thanks in advance for any input!

2. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I tried DR Pure Blues nickel strings on my 5420 a while back. I went back to my favorite D’Addario 11’s because the chime and sparkle wasn’t there. I like the D’Addarios well enough that I haven’t tried any other nickel strings...
    YMMV

Chmason85 likes this.
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Pure nickel seems to attenuate the response a good bit, less growl. I've tried them and then went back to my regular strings and the growl came back. I figure the higher steel content contributes to higher output. I do like pure nickels on my Strat as it drops the extreme brightness just a bit.

I use these:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.26.40.png

Chmason85 and Archtops like this.
  4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    ... and: nickel strings are only the wound ones, the plain strings are still steel, as is the core on the nickel wound ones...

Chmason85 and Archtops like this.
  5. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I've been playing pure nickel from Curt Mangan (round core) for some time now and I really like them. I find they last a good long while in the sweet spot. For me, these were a step brighter after playing Chromes for a long time and at the time I switched, I was playing much more on the clean side. I switched to them after changing amps. I was playing through an Epiphone Valve Sr which was a pretty bright amp compared the new amp which was a Quilter Micropro 12. The Chromes were too dark for the Quilter whereas the pure nickel added a touch of clarity in my case. FWIW, I switched back to the Epiphone and I've been playing with a lot of drive lately and the pure nickels hold up just fine for me there too.

Chmason85 likes this.
  6. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I’ll run pure nickels on Gibsons and some Fenders, but for Gretsch I want the snarl of NPS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.