Purchased a new Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by ImGoodThanks, Apr 28, 2021.

1. ImGoodThanks

ImGoodThanks Electromatic

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    I decided to make my first Gretsch a 5420T, next to no stock in Australia left with only one option. A dealer offered me a Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD, still, in its box, I decided to purchase.

It has been sent and is waiting for me at my sister's house. I am away and won't be back home until the end of May. I now have to wait until then before I can unpack, see and play the guitar.

I'm a bit nervous about whether I have made the right decision? If not I should be able to send it back, but I'm hoping it will be a keeper.

Does anyone else have the Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD, or has anyone seen or played one/
    Love to get some feedback, apparently, there were only around 560 units made.

Pete

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Can’t wait for the pics

ZackyDog, ruger9 and ImGoodThanks like this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Pete welcome to G-T, good to have you here. Shame you have to wait to claim your prize. I have the G5420T in Aspen Green, yours will be better looking than mine. Nice guitars.
    Will be looking for pictures in the future.

ImGoodThanks likes this.
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    “The way-yay-ting is the hardest part....”

Congrats on a great guitar!!

ImGoodThanks likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    What does "OS 50S" in the model number mean?

6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    5420, great choice. Well made, they play well and they sound great. They get lots of love here.

Congratulations

Waxhead and ImGoodThanks like this.
  7. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    @ImGoodThanks Congratulations!
    @Henry According to the Gretsch website, the "50s" references a larger headstock (it was news to me too).
    It looks like a beauty!

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...-cut-with-bigsby-and-gold-hardware/2506911506

Boasting thundering twang, the G5420TG Limited Edition Electromatic® '50s Hollow Body Single-Cut with Bigsby® pays homage to the cherished Gretsch hollow bodies of the mid-1950s.

The arched maple top features sound-post bracing and oversized F-holes for renowned acoustic breadth, while the maple neck with rosewood fingerboard lets you fly through classic licks with ease.

Dual Black Top Filter’Tron pickups create a thundering, versatile sonic palette that can take you through a catalog of classic jazz, blues and rock 'n' roll tones. Authentic sounds are at your fingertips with a flexible control layout consisting of master volume with treble bleed circuit, master tone, bridge and neck pickup volume controls and three-position pickup toggle switch.

Add the classic Black finish, early-'50s enlarged headstock, pearloid Hump Block inlays, tortoise pickguard with matching pickup inserts and gold hardware, plus other fine features including a secured Adjusto-Matic™ bridge, Graph Tech® NuBone® nut, G-arrow knobs and Bigsby® B60 tailpiece for a hollow body that serves up classic twang and thump like no other.

Wjensen, Henry, Jeff67 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    It looks to me that it is very similar to an early g5420t and there is nothing wrong with them.

capnhiho and ImGoodThanks like this.
  9. ImGoodThanks

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    Not sure, that's how the guitar is described on the invoice.

10. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    I got an orange G5420T and absolutely adore her :p It's possible that she might need a setup, but other then that she should be very nice. Can't wait for the pictures :D
    The "OS" stands for the color: Orange Stain. I saw one of these in the store when I went for mine and the gold hardware 5420s had a more vintage faded orange stain, should be closer to the orange tint of "Smoke".

Archtops and ImGoodThanks like this.
  11. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Electromatic

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    @ImGoodThanks Congratulations! I bought the same model when it was released in 2019, I have been happy with it ever since. It plays great and looks great, especially love the bigger (matching!) headstock and the inlays.

IMG_20200330_163623.jpg

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Love that tortoise pickguard!

ImGoodThanks likes this.
  13. ImGoodThanks

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    Thank you

The guitar looks awesome :)

14. ImGoodThanks

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    I'll put some photos up when I get the guitar, for sure :)

How is the gold hardware holding up, I had intended to avoid any guitars with golf finish dues to the stories about issues with tarnish over time.

Archtops, thunder58 and michelb like this.
  15. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    I have a regular G5420T in OS. So the orange is a bit brighter and it has Chrome hardware. I added gold pup rings for a more authentic Nashville look, a clear pick guard, a jackplate (VERY IMPORTANT), put in TVJ Setzer signature pups, a compton stainless steel bridge and Schaller strap locks.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    If it was a Fender or a Gibson, I would have understood... But it's a GRETSCH

"Only a Gretsch is good enough" (old Gibson ad).
    "You won't part with your Gretsch either" (old Fender ad).
    "A Gretsch, my kingdom for a Gretsch" (Shakespeare, in Richard III).

A+! :D;)

T-Bawler, ImGoodThanks and thunder58 like this.
  17. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Electromatic

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    No problems so far, the only wear is on the edge of the Tune-o-matic bridge, were I rest my hand. The rest ist still shiny and golden.

18. ImGoodThanks

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    Well, we will see, had it been any other model, I would have chosen Aspen Green :)

19. ImGoodThanks

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    Great information, thank you for sharing :)

Penguin likes this.
  20. ImGoodThanks

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.