Pup selector fixed

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Slipperyfingers, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Slipperyfingers

Slipperyfingers Electromatic

Nov 26, 2018
    Central Indiana
    Hi all
    In a previous thread I asked how to reverse my pup selector switch as it was reversed.
    Well you guys got me all fixed up, l loosened the set ring on the pup selector, turned it 1/2 turn counter clockwise and presto fixed. I wanna thank you all again for the advise.
    Paul

2. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

That's why this forum excells! Glad you got your problem fixed.

Jeff67 likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Best kind of repair---fast, easy, and free.

4. garagegods

garagegods Electromatic

Sep 30, 2021
    Los Angeles
    love those easy fixes!

5. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Gretsch-Talk,,, making knubes less knubier since 2008?

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats. Now you're a certified electrician AND luthier. :D

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  7. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    When I did a re-wiring project, I was surprised at how much extra wire was going to that switch. Then, when I realized that I had a similar issue with a pot/pre-amp board that I was installing that had to be rotated after installing it, I realized, oh, that's why they had extra wire to that switch.

gretsch-to-go likes this.
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Glad you got it fixed.
    This group of people here are great at troubleshooting and offering up help.

9. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    I have a question that is similar though I suspect it may be a replacement/repair. The 3-way toggle switch on my guitar will not stay in position i.e. you push it down and after a few seconds, it slips and pops back up. Same with pushing it up. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

10. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's hard to say, you'd know best, but perhaps a spray wax or polish has been used on it that got down into the leaves of the switch, creating a little slipperiness to the center toggle post. You might try some contact cleaner (De-Oxit or any of a number of good ones), sprayed down into the switch, probably right through the top would be okay. (Suggest first surrounding the switch with a paper towel or other absorbent to protect your guitar's finish, and be sure to use the thin tube that comes with the spray to concentrate & aim it better.) Could be such a contact cleaning would remove whatever's slippery and it'll behave again.

Or... could be it's just haunted... :eek::D

Good luck! Please let us know, eh?

Gregor, LongJohn and Jackrd like this.
  11. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Thanks for that suggestion, Berington. Right now the guitar is not in my apartment as I am moving. But as soon as I get it back I am going to try that suggestion. I will definitely let you know the outcome, 'it worked' or 'didn't work'.

12. hlarry14

hlarry14 Electromatic

Oct 7, 2009
    Colorado
    [
    I just had a similar issue - put the switch in the bridge PU position and it would slip back to the middle position after about 5 seconds. I pulled the switch out and it worked perfectly. When I put it back in, I saw that the switch tip was hitting the edge of the mounting nut, not allowing it to quite get all the way in the bridge position. This guitar had a screw-on switch tip - with the tip off, everything worked as it should. I found that I just had to tighten the switch nut (just a touch) to get it to raise up enough for the switch tip to clear the edge of the mounting ring.

As I’m writing this it occurs to me that this is hard to describe - not sure if you can envision what I’m describing. Bottom line, you might see if just tightening the nut holding the switch on a tiny bit solves your issue. I have a special tool for those nuts - you have to be very careful not to scratch the finish around the switch when doing this.

Gregor and new6659 like this.
  13. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Thanks hlarry14 and Berington. I used some W-40 and it holds just fine now. And, hlarry14, I could easily envision what you were describing and thank you for your suggestion. It is the little things that, at times, are the most perplexing.

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Cool!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.