PSA: G5420T Aspen Green $500 at Adorama. Hurry!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by CBHScott, Apr 28, 2021.

1. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Mine arrived today It is a 2018 model, so it's been sitting in a box in a warehouse for 2-3 years. I am concerned that those years may not have been good. The guitar arrived double boxed, but the inner Gretsch box showed evidence of previous water damage to the top above the neck/fretboard.

A little dark mold had grown on the inner lid of the box, and the white styro shroud had some on it as well.

The guitar looks pristine, but has the most bowed neck I've seen, likely due to the excess wet environment it had at some point. When it's that bowed, it's not likely to respond enough to the truss rod to bring it fully flat so that an optimal set-up range can be achieved. As the guitar ages and responds to varying humidity and temps, that lack of proper set-up range will prove crucial to it's being useful over time.

I've been slowly cranking it, seeing where the neck moves. But if I can't get to flat tomorrow, it's going back.

Oh yeah--they are sold out of aspen green, so unless they want to sub a fairlane blue (which is not on sale) that's it for my 5420.

2. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Electromatic

Dec 20, 2020
    Kansas
    Hope you get that neck straightened out. Aspen Green is lovely.

They had an FSR Player Series Telecaster in Lake Placid Blue for $519 last year. Mine also had quite the bowed neck, and the fret ends were terrible. With a straight neck, smooth fret ends, action set and new strings, I just didn't connect with it. I wanted to, it was a beauty, but I ended up returning it. Guess I'm just a Squier guy. By the way, they didn't charge sales tax, which was nice, and the return process was no hassle. And whoever ended up with this guitar was probably raving about how well Fender Mexico set it up. They even put D'Addarios on it!

I wouldn't hesitate buying from Adorama again.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    mrcoffee23 likes this.
  3. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, not blaming Adorama here. I believe that Fender basically calls in its stale stock from all over and gives them to Adorama to sell at blow out pricing. I've bought both camera and musical gear from them and have no complaints about how they do business.

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yikes about the mold. If you still want to keep the guitar I'd contact seller and ask them for an additional discount. Even at their low prices, no one should expect mold.

5. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Sorry to hear about how the guitar arrived. Ironically, even though it appears at least the box had some moisture exposure, often a badly bowed neck is the result of the fretboard drying out dramatically. Good luck getting the issues worked out, hope you are able to get things on the straight and narrow.

6. CBHScott

CBHScott Electromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    Central OH
    Mine was delivered on Tuesday, but I just got home today and opened it up. No moisture issues!

It does seem that they had a stockpile of old ones, though, as my SN first two numeric digits are 17 :D. No matter - looks in good shape. Was nearly in tune out of the box. Later tonight or this weekend, I'll need to loosen the truss rod just a bit, and re-string it. Gonna give it a quick plug-in later to make sure everything works. So far, so good.

All Thumbs and Henry like this.
  7. CBHScott

CBHScott Electromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    Central OH
    So, last night, the first thing I did was to plug in to make sure the electronics were working. At first, when I switched to the bridge pickup, nothing. I worked the switch back-and-forth until the pickup came alive. I know that import switches can be a bit dodgy, so I figure there may have been some oxidation or whatever, so I'll address it down the road. Afterwards, I lost myself for about an hour - even untweaked, this sounds and plays killer! Went from mellow to dirt and back, and realized that I was an idiot for letting go my previous 5420 a few years back (the orange one in the avatar).

On the road to visit the folks this weekend, so the tweaking and new strings will have to wait. For a bit over $500 all-in, this was the best guitar purchase I've made in a while.

j.s.c likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.