PRS owners assemble. Haters need not reply.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by rockinforJesus, Sep 5, 2021.

1. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Country Gent

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    wow, that's purdy!

LivingMyDream likes this.
  2. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have probably posted this before. Supposed to be amber but has a lot of orange in the flame. My only solid body and a keeper...

PRS SE Paul's
    prs.jpg

gtttrrr, NJDevil, blueruins and 4 others like this.
  3. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Country Gent

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Posting my NGD in 3, 2, 1…

gtttrrr likes this.
  4. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I had an SE singlecut trem. It had a fantastic neck with perfect fretwork. The pickups were a little hot for my taste, but lowering them and raising the poles helped.

I sold it because, like many PRS (and Gibson) guitars, it had a fairly sharp radius at the edge of the top, and because I just don’t get along with Les Paul-style guitar shapes.

Due to a nerve issue in my right arm, I get along best with at least a 16” lower bout and a gentle radius at the edge.

If not for the tingling, numbness, pain, and electric shock sensations, I’d probably still have that guitar.

I did get sucked in by the feel and sound of a Junior Jet Club, which has a similar shape but with rounded edges. That helped some, but nope, small guitars just don’t work for me.

rockinforJesus and LivingMyDream like this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
  6. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    @LivingMyDream -- would love to hear some audio from that PRS if you're ever so inclined.

7. chicago slim

chicago slim Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I'm a long time fan of PRS guitars. I started with plain ash or mahogany guitars, that looked pretty plain. I wasn't a big fan of their pickups, so I would swap TV Jones, Retrotrons or Starla pickups, into my PRS guitars. I now like their newer pickups and the way that they sound with a maple top. Some of the newer switching options, allow for parallel split coils or humbucker bridge, with split neck, in parallel.

2019, Custom 22, with 5-way switching.
    [​IMG]

2017 Zach Myers, with Bootstrap Vintage Clean (low wind A2 neck & A5 bridge), pickups.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Michael, I'm terrible at recording, and it would be a raw bedroom recording at best, but I will try to get something done for you.

I will say that because there can be a single or separate outputs for the magnetic and piezo pickups, to really do this guitar justice, I would have to make multiple recordings.

Because of that, you might want to check out these videos:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    MichaelRopp likes this.
  9. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    It’s a heavily modded 1994 CE-22. It started life emerald green with a rosewood fretboard and MOP birds, I still have that neck but a buddy of mine who was a PRS endorser got them to install a one-off wide-fat neck with the Johnny Hiland inlays. I have the original neck as well. I removed the finish myself and had the top re-stained.

TSims1 likes this.
  10. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have this one which basically has a '55 Les Paul Special neck on it.

Personally, I think GMP does the PRS thing (and the Gretsch Jet thing) better and for way less money but I do have a few PRSi. I also have a hollowbody (the big one) and a baritone which I think they made 12 or 24 of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I have this one:

[​IMG]

11. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Ohhhhhhhhh....This thread is enabling the inner tone chasing demon in me. The Vela? Love it and 10-out-of-10 for me. The killer though is my limit/floor is 43mm width at the nut and this is narrower....the reason I don't own more Fenders. BUT..... it has given me the ideal of sticking T-Armonds in my Edwards LP92 currently with Lollars that just cannot leave its mid-range borders.

With above said there are about 10 different PRS models on the GAS list with that fit the tone/comfort match perfectly but that SE Hollowbody II Piezo is right up front.....love the neck, love the tone and great price point.

rockinforJesus and gtttrrr like this.
  12. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I’ve had the Standard 22 for almost 20 yrs, and I like it. It’s warm like an SG

I picked up a MIK SE One for slide, and it’s fantastic, too A7A2046F-F236-4798-84AB-4F9000ED9E5D.jpeg

chicago slim and rockinforJesus like this.
  13. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  15. Been looking at these since they were released.

They are nice. Getting a lot of positive press too, whether that is customer enthusiasm, or smart marketing. Nobody has much of any PRSs (beyond a few SE level stragglers) in stock.

Make one as a McCarty 594 & I’d have to think hard about it. Despite 6+ month lead times.

Are you unloading it (so…), or changing pick ups?

The custom paint job on the limited edition Tremonti guitars was gorgeous.
    I almost bought one for the paint job. Well, assuming they were under $1800…

Then I thought… its a display item. A lot for something hanging on the wall.

No idea who this Tremonti guy is, I assume a metal guy. Nor do I care, if that is the case.
    My interest flags when nearly all of the examples in videos are metal.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021 at 10:42 AM
  16. Since this was revitalized as a thread…

The narrower neck may be what the doctor ordered, in my case.
    I’ve been fighting the push to a narrower neck, but the narrower necks with a thicker neck mass may balance well. The “wide-thin” necks have an abrupt edge at the binding.

I suppose I should check out the Gretsches.

NJDevil likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    So …I changed the hi output buckers to a Rio Grande HB and Fender Fat50 SC.
    I might restore to stock and unload anyway. Not the biggest fan of fat necks.

Tremonti is known from Creed and Alter bridge and now his own band Tremonti. Nowadays he’s more of a metal guy but don’t let that deter you. The guitar doesn’t know who it’s named after. :)

Runamok likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.