Project Partsblaster!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a great idea for a sample strip. Do you think the color will vary between the maple strip compared to Korina?

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    After comparing the strips to the body I think the ash will be a better match, different grain & w/o the small pores but it's got more of the yellow/brown hue of the body. The maple is just a bit too white.
    [​IMG]

Merc likes this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Well, good news/bad news on this one this evening.

Bad news: I knew this had not been among my better results when it came to clean & accurate guard cutting coming into this evening but when I put everything together & strung it up I discovered that I somehow wound up w/ my pickup holes shifted ~1/8" to low side :( I was already half figuring I'd wind up ordering a custom cut guard from somewhere at a later date but I think that's more of a given than a maybe now.

Good news: It's sounding pretty darn cool to me so far & has really nice resonance to the body & neck :) It's not even close to fully dialed in yet, but it's feeling pretty good in the action & ergonomics to me considering.

Snapped a badly overexposed & shaky pic of it as a fully functional guitar when I got back home w/ it:
    [​IMG]

Stefan87, Archtops, Ricochet and 2 others like this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Bummer about the guard. But cool news on resonance. That natural body stripe really looks awesome.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ahhh so close! Looking good so far!

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The nut got an excellent cleanup & shaping as well as a good setup whispering from my luthier friend yesterday & I tore it down & got started on finishing the body today. Here it is after a few light coats of nitro sealer & 2 coats of satin clear from StewMac:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did 6 different sample strips last night trying the different toners I had & any combo involving a darker brown than the StewMac light brown was seeming too opaque to me, so I think after a light sanding I'm going to have to go w/ a natural + treatment w/ some judicious application of the aged clear & light brown tomorrow in between a few more coats of satin clear & maybe call it a finish & let it cure after another few coats of clear on Tuesday.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Merc, Waxhead, Stefan87 and 2 others like this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Very nice Sid. Best of luck!

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Today I lightly sanded a bit w/ a 400 grit pad & got the toner on mingled w/ 3 good coats of the clear:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think I wound up w/ more light brown on the top & sides than the back but I think it's working for me. The pores & short grain are more persistent than I was hoping so it'll likely wind up w/ a few more coats of clear tomorrow followed by another dry sanding till they're a bit more leveled out & then another couple coats of clear on Wednesday.

Merc, Waxhead and jfassett like this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I just noticed your switch (SW2). Is that a DeMont? Curious where you sourced that from.

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    It's a Fender part I grabbed from DarrenRiley.com (Fender Mini Toggle Switch DPDT On-On 0080110000). I wasn't able to see any markings to denote who actually made it. I think it's likely designed to be used mounted to a PCB as the poles have the holes in the top likely intended to be attached to pins, but it's nice & compact & feels very sturdy.

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks. Those cups are similar to the DeMont pushbutton switches I just bought and I really like the quality. I'm fairly certain that whoever makes them, it's the same source and they're among the best switches I've used.

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The body got the planned light sandings followed by 3 more substantial coats of clear on Tuesday & Wednesday & another slightly more aggressive sanding & ~ 2.5 more coats yesterday due to the dogged persistence of some of the pores. If I'd have known they were going to keep sucking up the lacquer like this I probably would have grain filled in between the sealer coats, but such is life :) Looking at it this morning it's still not 100% dimple free, but seeing as I'm out of clear I think I'm still on track for doing the 3M pad "buffing", light polishing, & reassembly tomorrow.

I think I'm well positioned to have at least a 95% completely level, smooth & silky finish on the body & if it turns out I'm still significantly bothered by any remaining dimples I can always come back at it w/ some more clear at a later date.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Merc and jfassett like this.
  13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Did the sanding, rubbing & polishing & shielded the control cavities of the body this afternoon & got everything put back together today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still wound up w/ a bit of an Edward James Olmos effect to the finish if you look close enough in the right/wrong light, but I think I took it about as far as I could w/o getting down into the toner layers. It's super comfy feeling to the touch at any rate & I think I'm pretty happy w/ the look.

GretschPraise, Merc, Stefan87 and 5 others like this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Looks GREAT imo - good job :D

15. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    What a beautiful project! Love it!

16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Looks fantastic Sid, such a good job.

17. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Wow! That came out nice. Excellent job Sid!

18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It came out looking stellar! :):):):):):)

19. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Turned out brill Sid!

Sid Nitzerglobin and Merc like this.
  20. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    The color on the top is absolutely perfect Sid! That grain is way to gorgeous to cover up. On wood with pores like that I've actually taken to screeding finish into the pores with a 6" drywall blade (or even Zpoxy).

That wood grain and chrome and black are really tasty together. Great work!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.