Prodigal son comes back... NGD and some question

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by El Marin, Nov 20, 2020.

1. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Hello

I have been out for a time... I had a 6120-KS, the keith Scott Signature. Loved that guitar but was too fancy and golden for the life I was giving her. I am a player, punk-rocker, Pub-rocker, psychobilly sometimes and this was too fancy for me. This is it in her gorgeous magnificence:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well nomatter why I sold it. Stepped from the Dynas 6120 to a Gibson Les Paul with P90s and been using it for two years...

... BUT yesterday I was walking with my Gibson and just came across a friend who has a buy-sell guitar shop, let's have a cigarette, some talk and went to his shop with the Gibson and there she was in the wall... Oh, nice Gretsch, can I grab it? sure mate... can I plug it? sure mate...

End of History... I came in with the Gibson hardcase and went out with a Gretsch hardcase.

OK, I will talk a bit about it. Is a 1990 6120 due the serial number, that's it. Is pre Fender, I know. No binding problem and is the most resonant unplugged electric guitar (even other Gretsches) I have ever tried.

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well... after my Les Paul I find the neck a bit thin, but ALL necks will be thinner than my Les Paul :D

It has some things... There is a kinda Autograph or signature, some Name I don't recognise, a 2001 or 7 or 5 and two dices... there is a shade like somebody signed this with a marker. I will try to clean that **** off my guitar nevertheless. No autograph will give it any more value (TO ME) than how it plays and sounds. And I have no clue or proof it has not been any drunk owner or worse :rolleyes:

Well... The bridge is pinned witch I like, I am a hard strummer I was going to do it anyway.

Well, for you Gretsch aficionados, enthusiast and deep knowledge owner I would like to make you a couple of questions....

FIRST: I think pickups are new for a 30 years guitar or it has not been played (it has been due the fret wear). Are these the original pickups? I think they are the ceramic old ones. But the owner maybe used some TVJones thing that swapped before selling... To me are too new and gold is too shiny... what do you think? I will erase that gold in two weeks of playing

[​IMG]

And
    SECOND: This pickguard is not the original, isn't it? It should be a golden one I believe... I am thinking on painting it gold undeneath. Just get a "mate gold spray" and apply it. Can it be done and look good?

[​IMG]

Well... I love it so far (so far just one day). The only cons I find are the thin low vintage specs frets. Theese are in a good condition but in some time, when some fretwork would be needed I will swap them for mediumjumbo or jumbos with I like much more.

So far I will just play the hell outta it, break strings and picks and cover her of sweat, beer, smoke and rock'n'roll

I am back dudes!!

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Do you need a pickgaurd? That guitar is to pretty to cover it up. Nice find!

Marv666 and El Marin like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I think those pickups are right, the gold on the rest of it is just as bright, its still on the Bigsby handle!
    Great guitar, enjoy it man.

El Marin likes this.
  4. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Yeah, that is what makes me doubt

Well... I really don't give much for that. Those pickups sound just terrifically good so I will not bother about that.

Just thinking loud

SAguitar likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful guitar and congratulations . Here's my 6120 with original gold pick guard ( and the plastic wrap on it too ) just to give you an idea what it would look like .
    IMO - I think you should not paint your pick guard ( underneath ) as it may hi-lite all the scuff / scratch marks on top . Maybe start out fresh and purchase a gold pick guard . My old 5120 I had 2 pickgards , the original clear one and a silver one . I would bounce back and forth with them . Made me feel like I had a new guitar once in a while .

IMG_0008.JPG

Marv666, El Marin and calebaaron666 like this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Dig it! Such a cool guitar!
    I have a 1995 6120 that I got last year, and I love it!
    I modded mine with new crap, but it definitely wasn’t necessary cuz it was a great guitar when I received it. (It never stood a chance cuz I already had a plan for it).

The frets on mine were beaten up pretty badly. Given the age of the guitar, it wasn’t shocking.
    Mine’s actually in the shop right now getting refretted with stainless steel medium jumbos.

Congrats!

El Marin likes this.
  7. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Nice axe.

El Marin likes this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Congratulations and welcome back to 6120 world.
    That KS was a fantastic beast. But it sounds like youve moved into humbucking territory now and this one is going to be a great fit. Certainly you will feel more comfortable playing the living daylights out of this one than you did on the ‘precious’ gold one.
    I’m trying to find these remnants of the signature date and dice but i cant see them... where are they? EDIT..I just put my glasses on WOW now i see it. My eyesight is bad! Im sure a closeup will allow someone on the forum to suggest the right cleaning product and maybe even the signator. But im with you, having someone sign a guitar doesnt make it better or more valuable. I wouldnt want some Formula One Champion coming anywhere near my old beaten up Honda with a Sharpie either.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    El Marin likes this.
  9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Welcome back El Marin and congrats on a gorgeous 6120!
    I think she looks great with the clear pick guard, personally...

El Marin likes this.
  10. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations on that terrific 6120!

El Marin likes this.
  11. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    The Gibson was no slouch....but I think you made the right decision :)

El Marin likes this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats.

From the looks of the bridge pup spacing, it looks like a TV Jones pup. There should be a sticker on the back side.

Enjoy the new git.

JC higgy and El Marin like this.
  13. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome back & congrats on that beauty!

El Marin likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    While I'd have no complaints about P-90s, that Gretsch is a huge step up. Gorgeous guitar!

El Marin likes this.
  15. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Very nice, Congrads

El Marin likes this.
  16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats. That is a fine looking 6120, previous owner appears to have taken good care of it.
    Welcome back to the Gretsch club.

El Marin likes this.
  17. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I will make some close up pic ASAP. Now is night time (ain't no good life, but is my life :p). But I really would like to delete that "thing" off my guitar

I have been reading about of ceramic Filtertrons and there is always a complaint about wrong (or right then, historically correct I mean) string spacing. Next string change, maybe next year :confused: I don't like new strings, will check that when checking intonation

So far I have just played it at band rehearsal enviroment. Have been setting my amp, a Marshall Origin 50C for a while but I sure have what I want... I would define it as "That old Gretsch sound" INDEED. Guitar, after some setup plays like butter, sounds amazing and I am loving it.

Good to be back

calebaaron666 and G5422T like this.
  18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome back El !

Congrats on the new geet,what do ya think about that bridge? I had one on my Country Classic and wasn't too impressed,bit of a rattle-O-matic,i never had it long enough to change though.

Love your KS,sweet geet that,and quite rare nowadays.

El Marin likes this.
  19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Beautiful....I love my Gibson Les Paul with P90’s.....But, I would trade it for that 6120 you got. Well done.

El Marin likes this.
  20. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Great score mate!
    I own your guitar’s older sister (1989 6120 Nashville) :D. Mine now is sporting an Eddie Cochran layout (I got rid of the original ceramic Filtertrons ‘cause they were too hot and too muddy for my taste... and I’m a punk rocker too!) but that will soon change. I got rid of the tune-0-matic bridge as well, it was a rattle machine and the high E was sliding out when picked too hard... now I have a period correct Rocking bar and the tone changed like day and night.
    Great guitars. I love mine to death, and wouldn’t part with it for any sum of money. Enjoy yours!

El Marin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.