Problems with my new bigsby arm

chakalaka25

Electromatic
Aug 29, 2020
israel
Hi guys! I need you're help. I just changed my bigsby arm to a wire arm. And the guitar all around fills more "tight", the stings, the arm itself, way more tight and hard to bend up and down, and also I got this angle with the spring and arm that you can see in the pic. Is that normal? And because of that angle I can't turn around the arm all around to the tailpiece. It got stucked on the top wood. Did I do something wrong? Thanks!

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I’ve had this problem with new arms.
It may fit too tightly to the shaft.

With the strings off and the guitar laying flat, hold the arm up and let it go. If it doesn’t fall freely, that’s the problem.
Loosen the hex screw holding it to the shaft a teeny bit until the arm falls freely.

chakalaka25

Electromatic
Aug 29, 2020
israel
I’ve had this problem with new arms.
It may fit too tightly to the shaft.

With the strings off and the guitar laying flat, hold the arm up and let it go. If it doesn’t fall freely, that’s the problem.
Loosen the hex screw holding it to the shaft a teeny bit until the arm falls freely.

Ok I did that, I got less angle so thanks!
But I still can't spin my arm all the way around to the tailpiece.. maybe that's ok?

Maybe try a shorter spring, or replace the spring bushing(s) with a thinner one.

The thing is that it was all good with the regular arm I had before.. I don't think it's the spring

El Marin

Gretschie
Oct 4, 2018
Spaniard in Pärnu, Estonia
full

I would loosen the hex screw and turn the lever so it pass the guitar top without touching it. That would be the position. Can it spin inside the hinge's cilinder?

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Yeah, loosen the little screws holding the wire handle in place and spin it so the curve is higher off the guitar and you can rotate the arm all the way around.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Marginally related but it looks like the arm might actually be a bit short. The Chet wire arm comes in 3 lengths, 6.5", 8" and 10"(The curve is supposed to bend around the bridge). A longer arm would result in easier bends.

freddyfingers

Gretschified
I had a hard time getting used to a wire arm on the g5034tft. Which has the B70 with shorter distance after the bridge. It never felt like it was in the right place. Either too high or too far away. I had to adjust the screws that hold the arm itself. Eventually i kind of got used to it. Either way, i have a bigs fix arriving Monday with a softer spring. Will see if I can get it all together.

Stefan

Country Gent
Jan 20, 2016
Germany
Very nice guitar!
You can try to bend the arm to change the. angle to your liking. And yes, a shorter string might help.
I‘ve had the same problems with the Chet arm and went back to my all time favorites, the Duane Eddy handle and the light and sweet vintage narrow handle.

MotorCentaur

Synchromatic
May 11, 2016
Seattle
To my eye, it looks like the spring may not be set into the "arm-holder" all the way, or at an incorrect angle.

When I fabricated my lefty Chet arm, as a mirror image of a RH one, I found that the handle had to be rotated in the holder, to just the right sweet spot within 1 or 2 degrees, so that it would clear the 3 knobs and be at a reasonable height in use.

When they put the arm in the holder, its at a somewhat arbitrary position. Just back off those set screws, a little bit, so that it will hold a position, and start swinging the arm around till you find the sweet spot, then lock her down.

Good luck :)

cowmoo

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2011
North Wales
I put the longer version of this type of Chet Atkins wire arm on my Phoenix.
First off it actually felt way more responsive than the Duane Eddy i had on it.
I have a 1” spring.
I had to heat it in a vise and sort of straighten the bend a little to get it to sit right.
Also with the arm swung into the rest position i have the same problem as yours as it protrudes outside the case or catches the top (bending it helped with that) !
And, Annnndd ... when its on the guitar i can’t shut the case as the bracket and arm sit too high in any position.
Apart from that i like it :)