Pro Jet Bridge Upgrade

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jareth, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    Hey y’all,

I am looking for suggestions for upgrading the tunomatic bridge on my Gretsch. I am looking at the graphtech resomax.
    77F9F395-F1EE-421B-8AF7-DA473BB74037.jpeg
    Anyone dropped it on their Greatch, any feedback?
    I came to thinking of upgrade after rattling noise on my G string on the tunomatic. I change the strings, inspected the bridge, played with position but the noise stays.
    Any other suggestions for upgrading would be very welcomed.

image.jpg
    Thanks you for all the feedback in advance.

Chmason85 likes this.
  2. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    stevo, Ricochet and Jareth like this.
  3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    It looks like there’s a retainer wire on there, you can pull that off, is usually a culprit of rattle. I like TOM bridges, had a little rattle on mine but a proper setup and fresh strings stopped it. Have you gotten everything dialed in first, like neck relief and all? I found my rattle went away when the total guitar was properly set up

Jareth likes this.
  4. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    Thanks. That is exact what it is, that wire that holds the screws in place. It come and goes but it’s utterly annoying. I want to upgrade it anyway so looking for recommendations.

5. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Get a Compton or Tru-Ark and do it right. No moving parts, no rattle, no fuss, no muss.

Outlaw, Jareth and Chmason85 like this.
  7. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    There's a quick-fix for rattling here>>>

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/a-knubez-guide-to-setting-up-your-new-gretsch-part-1.210853/

8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I personally like the Gibson ABR1 style, I believe you can get a nice one made by Gotoh from Allparts with brass saddles and no retainer wire. They are really nice and I think they are what comes on the Setzer guitars, though I think he uses aluminum saddles. I have no gripes with TOM bridges, once they are set up they are great.

Jareth and Stefan87 like this.
  9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can't argue the feel of my gretsch bar bridge is second to none but my preference is TOM, my 6118 came with a Gotoh nashville bridge as like @Chmason85 mentioned and it's great, no retaining wire and feels good, I have always had great experiences with everything Gotoh and will be buying one for Penguin and electrometrics in the future, so one of these or as others have said a true arc or a compton would be a fantastic upgrade.

https://www.allparts.com/products/gb-2540-gotoh-nashville-tunematic-bridge

***Disclaimer***Please note that I have attached the above link to show the bridge not to say that THIS one is what you need, if you go that way please do your research on what suits your model.

Jareth and Chmason85 like this.
  10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    It's expensive, but worth it: The Truarc Serpentune (bottom left):

[​IMG]

Jareth likes this.
  11. Pcampbell

Pcampbell Gretschie

Feb 26, 2017
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I put a Gotoh tuneomatic on my Pro Jet (the one in my avatar). It was about $40. Straight drop-in, and it got rid of the rattle from the stock bridge immediately.

Jareth and Chmason85 like this.
  12. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    If that is what the call the Nashville bridge, I agree. That is what I have gone to. Gives a little extra intonation room.

Chmason85 likes this.
  13. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Yep, the Nashville has a little more adjustment room and the ABR1 is the slimmer original one, both are great. Whatever came on my 6228 is working great, I’m assuming Gotoh.

14. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Fit right on the existing studs

Jareth likes this.
  15. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    jfassett likes this.
  16. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Get a special-made Compton for fixed bridge jet, only downside to that is no Titanium option. It has 12" radius too. Or get a tru-arc. Or get an ABM2400... if you can justify ~$200 with shipping, taxes involved. I don't know if importing it from Deustchland will trip any import duties.

Only "problem" with the Gotoh one is that its most likely 14" radius. I think the ABM2400 is one of the only "nashville" bridges with 12" radius. I could be wrong.

Outlaw, stevo and Jareth like this.
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    There are any number of non-rattling options.
    Good point on the radius. I just looked that one up and it seems to be 12". And to your point, most Nashville TOM bridges you see (at Stew Mac for instance)will be 12".

Which Compton are you referring to for a fixed bridge Jet? I wasn't' aware they made one and that reminds me of the issue with this kind of bridge installation and solid bridges. IE, you need to be able micro adjust the bridge at different angles to get the best intonation balance. In his case, the bridge screws go right into the body and he will have no latitude for adjustment. Doubt he will get the right result.

18. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    I used several of the ResoMax bridges, though never on a Gretsch. They are excellent bridges in both quality and tone. Super lightweight, feel like aluminum but are apparently some proprietary alloy. Has embedded stud magnets so the bridge doesn't fall off if you change strings.

19. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    um, no. This is from StewMac. 14".
    I guess the gotoh one is 12" but i for sure saw their roller bridge option and it was 14" the other day.
    update: sorry, I was thinking Schaller, not Gotoh.

StewMac Nashville.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.