Primitive Art

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by audept, Sep 13, 2020.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    How many of you are interested in Primitive Art? We have a few pieces in our house, mostly from Indonesia and West Africa. My wife has just acquired a Papuan Warrior Dress from West Papua. I think this is a purely ceremonial dress, I can’t imagine how impractical it would be in combat. The primary objective is to frighten and invoke superstitious fears in opponents. It is made from jungle fibers and shell beads with a carved shell nosepiece. This is now guarding the back door to our lounge room.

IMG_1123.JPG IMG_1125.JPG IMG_1127.JPG

Zeek, thunder58, Trash Kidd and 5 others like this.
  2. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Interesting art. A loose garment made from strong fibre may actually serve to absorb primitive weapon impact as well as be decorative. Hard to say without actually having it to hand, or trying it out (NOT recommending you do that!).

I did collect some "primitive" soapstone carvings when I was first based in the Arctic. We were in the villages in the far north so had direct contact with the older carvers. Sadly, it didn't take very long, just a few years, before the southern buyers tastes dictated what was being produced. A tradition largely lost as the older carvers died off.

I found it somewhat amusing to fly the carvings south "to market" to be sold as traditional after having flown the soapstone into that community because the nearest source was hundreds of mile away.
    Also sadly, I don't have any of the pieces I obtained.. I guess a divorce will do that

audept likes this.
  3. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I'd be a bit afraid that would start walking around in the house after the lights went out:eek::D

OzzPocket, MTurner and audept like this.
  4. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Sheba is our chief night-time security officer. Nothing is allowed to move when we are asleep! :)

thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  5. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations on your new stage costume ;)

I have a Western African mask I bought at the market in Senegal. Quite beautiful if not precious.

audept likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Pretty darn cool. Nice

audept likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2020-09-14-01-13-51-1.png

audept and Zeek like this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ....well , it's keeping me out :p Actually is quite beautiful in it's own way

audept likes this.
  9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

11. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This looks quite similar to some pieces we have from Cameroon in Central Africa.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  12. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    That looks so much like my sister-in-law.

audept likes this.
  13. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    :D:D

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I think that Le Palais Idéal du Facteur Cheval is considered some kind of Primitive Art, IIRC :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a curious palace built by a French Postman (Ferdinand Cheval) from 1879 to 1912, located not very far from where I live. Well, considering the era, I'd say it is rather a Primitive Art Nouveau style, but it's me, OK ? :D

http://www.facteurcheval.com/en/index.html

In France (not to say in Europe, and beyond, of course !), what can be considered Primitive Art would be for sure cave paintings (peintures rupestres, art pariétal) from Lascaux, Font-de Gaume, Chauvet (discovered in the mid 90s IIRC)...

Here are some pics from Lascaux (-14000 BC), dicovered in 1940 :

The Bisons :
    [​IMG]

The Men of Lascaux :
    [​IMG]

The Unicorn :
    [​IMG]

A+!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    new6659 and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.