Pretty pictures

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Here's my 1962 SG Les Paul with real PAF pickups. I modded it extensively in 1968 soon after I swapped it for my 1959 Telecaster. After only a few shows the headstock had cracked behind the nut and the original fretboard was lifting off. In the process of having the repairs done by the best luthier I could find, I decided to make some big changes to customize the guitar for me. (Who knew what these would be eventually worth back then!) The fretboard was replaced with a 40 year old (in 1968) piece of ebony, I helped the luthier cut out real mother-of-pearl blocks from the shell. The truss rod was replaced with a custom double truss-rod. and a Zero Fret added. The wiring was changed so that there is an on/off switch for each pickup, but only 1 master volume and 1 master tone. The original pickup selector switch was rewired to put the middle pickup in/out of phase. I had a bridge handmade with individual height and intonation for each string, and a custom stop tailpiece made. This guitar is still rockin' after all this time and wipes the floor for tone with all other SG's I have ever tried. The original PAF pickups are awesome, even back in the 60’s I knew there was something very special about the sound of my SG compared to others that I played.

1962 SG Les Paul 003.jpg 1962 SG Les Paul 006.jpg 1962 SG Les Paul 008.jpg 1962 SG Les Paul 015.jpg 1962 SG Les Paul 018.jpg

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Beautiful headstock, I love the zero fret addition you had done.

View attachment 180228
It was a recommendation from my luthier at the time. String gauge selection in 1968 was pretty scarce. I think I was using Yamaha strings back then and had to take whatever was in stock at the time. The zero-fret solved the problem of varying gauges but keeping the action low. Some other players were very surprised when I showed them what had been done.

Georgiadudefrank

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Georgia

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I have a natural model. It lives in a gig bag and I want a hardshell case. Went to major chain store and tried a Gretsch hardshell for a single cut electric. The neck rest is too tall in the case and the head stock sticks up like a cantilever. Any ideas for a hard case
Welcome to the forum, @Georgiadudefrank ! My 460 came from a GC in Houston. It arrived in a TKL badged case with no number/part designation on it so I don't know the specific case type. The serial# of my natural model is 976XXX-41. Is that close to your last 2 digits as well?

welcome mat 19.jpg