Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Preserving Gold Plated Hardware

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by David_D, Mar 20, 2017.

1. David_D

David_D Gretschie

Oct 14, 2015
    New Jersey
    As careful as I can be to wipe down gold plated hardware I still see signs of either chemical reaction and oxidation (dulling). I was thinking of using a product that I use as a sealer on my car...Klasse high gloss sealant. I figure a few coats of this would slow the process down.

Anyone have a better suggestion (besides not buying a guitar with gold plating)?

2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Gold plating is really thin and fades within a short time. Dunno how to preserve it but I know that you can polish the plating off in minutes. Maybe you should live with the typical look of faded gold plating (which can look pretty cool)?

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I use this on my gold hardware; it works very well.

[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The plating isn't more than a few molecules thick. Sooner or later, it will wear off. Jewelry cleaners sound like the best option.

6. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    The only thing that would concern me is what will it look like when the sealer or clear coat starts to wear. Then how do you remove the sealer without wearing the gold plate?

I think the best thing you can do is keep it clean. Wipe it down to get any oils or sweat off after each use. Use some jewelry cleaner from time to time.

Dave-B likes this.
  7. Dave-B

Dave-B Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    I'm with @Tinman46 on this one. One ding in the lacquer and you're screwed.

I've read that pure carnauba wax is one option, but personally I don't fancy the thought of that stuff leeching into my skin...

I'd say just bring it back to a shine with a dry microfibre cloth after playing. Be proud of the well-loved patina that will eventually develop as you play. Or just get the parts re-plated when you can't stand the look of them any more.

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    When it is partly worn off you can get it re-galvanized with new gold-plating. I heard that it is not too expensive. You can order a thicker plating and this should last longer.