Pre-war Synchromatic 100

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by SunRa, Nov 24, 2020.

1. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    IMG_0424.JPG.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg Any experience with these? 16" carved top and bottom according to the catalog. How would they compare to say a gibson or epiphone carved acoustic archtop from the same period?

Paulie26, hcsterg and new6659 like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Don't know the comparison , but she sure is beautiful

hcsterg and new6659 like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
  4. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    I have an Epiphone, a harmony cremona, and a few Regals...all carved tops. I had a 50s Gretsch Corsair, which had a pressed top and sounded nice. Really curious to learn about anyone's experience with carved top Gretsch acoustic archtops...

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's sweet, cant you try it out?

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  7. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Although fairly ornate in its own right, and made with quality materials, these 100's were the "low-end" model within the Pre-war Synchromatic line. Much like their cousins in the American Orchestra model line, they were inspired by the Gibson L5, and attempted to be competitive with that offering I'm sure. When set-up well, my understanding is that these can be great acoustic archtops, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim they were on the level of a Gibson L5.

wildeman and hcsterg like this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I would buy it if it is affordable and playable...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

9. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't think I've ever encountered a carved top Gretsch in person. All I'm qualified to comment on is originality and to opine that they're some of the best looking archtops ever made. But I don't have any first hand experience with how they sound.

10. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    Good analysis Wayne. I think there was a 75 below this model, but the cat's eye ones that people prize were the higher end and significantly more expensive models. Setup is everything with archtops. I have a 1940s cutaway regal acoustic that I was ready to consign until it had a neck re-set and some other work that easily put it on the level of a Gibson in terms of tone and power. How deftly the top was carved, neck angle, and bridge height all contribute to making these sing or sound just so-so. If I do purchase one of these carved-top Gretsch archtops I will report the results here!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    Affordable and playable...two relative concepts!

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sure ! And you decide for yourself... ;)

A+!

13. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    Therein lies the pleasure....and the danger.

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I find this Synchromatic very nice and preserved, with that Bulb headstock... Now what is the price tag is another story, that's true. I really can't tell... :confused:

Mine are recent ones, modded and converted to LH by myself :

[​IMG]

A+!

new6659 and mrfixitmi like this.
  15. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    Beautiful guitars. Is thr sunburst one a 200?

hcsterg likes this.
  16. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    Just read your note and saw that they are recent ones....reslly nice guitars. Gretsch should make a LH version of the Chromatic tailpiece.

hcsterg likes this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks @SunRa ! :)

These are a G400 from 1991 (Terada-made, in need of restoration and repair) and a G100 from 2008 (Samick-made, bought new), both being originally Right-Handed.

Oh, I wouldn't have converted a pricey-vintage one to LH, such as the Synchromatic 100 you posted... :confused:

And yes, you're right : the size and ornamentation of the G400 are similar to a Synchromatic 200 of the era.

I'm quite proud of my DIY Acetate pickguards... à la 1939 ! ;)

[​IMG]

A+!

new6659 and mrfixitmi like this.
  18. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    Those pickguards are awesome. Finding a decent vintage one is almost impossible, and a high quality repro one is not easy at all.

hcsterg likes this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Like me, you can carve your pickguards carefully, with a jigsaw and a router to bevel the edge...

I bought my Acetate from a local glassmount material supplier, the Acetate being from the brand Mazzucchelli, Italia. These are 6mm thick plates :

https://www.mazzucchelli1849.it/

[​IMG]

This Acetate is a modern one, perfectly stable in dimensions, without warp and no solvent evaporation (Acrylic base), unlike the vintage one.

Once cut to size, edge-routed and polished :

[​IMG]

I'm sure that you can find a glassmount supplier from where you would purchase such a material in NY !

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.