Power'Tron Plus Anyone?

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
Has anyone paired up a TV Jones Power'Tron Plus with a Gretsch Dynasonic neck pickup? I have a 2011 DSV Duo Jet and I've had the stock pickups rewound. I had the bridge overwound and the neck underwound. They are pretty balanced now overall. I love the neck but I'm still wanting more rock from the bridge pickup. I read on TV Jones' website that a Power'Tron Plus pairs well with a T'Armond neck which is wound very close to what I had my Gretsch Dynasonic rewound to. I'm also wondering if I'll have to adjust the wiring so they will be in phase. I like fat but raunchy PAFs for a bridge pickup but I like neck pickups to be clear single coil pickups with pole magnet slugs. I would love to hear any and all opinions.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Has anyone paired up a TV Jones Power'Tron Plus with a Gretsch Dynasonic neck pickup? I have a 2011 DSV Duo Jet and I've had the stock pickups rewound. I had the bridge overwound and the neck underwound. They are pretty balanced now overall. I love the neck but I'm still wanting more rock from the bridge pickup. I read on TV Jones' website that a Power'Tron Plus pairs well with a T'Armond neck which is wound very close to what I had my Gretsch Dynasonic rewound to. I'm also wondering if I'll have to adjust the wiring so they will be in phase. I like fat but raunchy PAFs for a bridge pickup but I like neck pickups to be clear single coil pickups with pole magnet slugs. I would love to hear any and all opinions.

My powertron + didnt sound like a dumbucker at all. Just a beefier, more warmly focused filtertron w punch but has twang on the edges. Rocks better than my supertron w heavy overdrive for sure. Dyna has low end punch for sure but I think the T90 is a better match in the neck w a pwrtron+ this is a gretsch 6118 I loaded w powertron+ bridge, and ran into a barber burn unit and brain preamp to roland jazz chorus. great 80s crunch for this artist I did a session with :)

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
Yeah! I should have clarified that I definitely prefer a 3D Filtertron vibe over a Gibson style humbucker all day everyday but I want enough output to match with the neck Dyna. "Just a beefier, more warmly focused filtertron w punch but has twang on the edges" sounds exactly like I'm hoping it would be and judging from your track I think it would be great.. Thank you!

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry I have nothing to add to this thread, just wanted to say the below

My powertron + didnt sound like a dumbucker at all. Just a beefier, more warmly focused filtertron w punch but has twang on the edges. Rocks better than my supertron w heavy overdrive for sure. Dyna has low end punch for sure but I think the T90 is a better match in the neck w a pwrtron+ this is a gretsch 6118 I loaded w powertron+ bridge, and ran into a barber burn unit and brain preamp to roland jazz chorus. great 80s crunch for this artist I did a session with :)

That's a really cool song and a really good sound, thanks for posting that.

mapotofu

Electromatic
May 1, 2018
Chicago
I have an old Fender Telesonic with a T-Armond neck and Powertronic bridge pickup. Was going for the same clear neck tone with a more crunchy bridge tone. The output between the two seems pretty balanced to me.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Sorry I have nothing to add to this thread, just wanted to say the below

That's a really cool song and a really good sound, thanks for posting that.

I recorded that one summer in nashville during one of their "Summer storms" I was scared to death! I'm from So Cal, and over there they have weather that is like the wrath of the universe. I went outside and the sky was almost turquoise w lightning that branched out like spider arms in all directions and then the loudest thunderclap shook the entire street. the rain came down like I was in a waterfall but sideways. They were all laughing and I wanted to die. :)

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I recorded that one summer in nashville during one of their "Summer storms" I was scared to death! I'm from So Cal, and over there they have weather that is like the wrath of the universe. I went outside and the sky was almost turquoise w lightning that branched out like spider arms in all directions and then the loudest thunderclap shook the entire street. the rain came down like I was in a waterfall but sideways. They were all laughing and I wanted to die. :)
Wow, as scary as that was though I bet that would have been really cool to see, one of those times a camera would have been good to have on hand as you probably would have got some amazing pictures, on the subject of the tone in the song it's really cool, I can think of a few genres where the powertron + would go really well.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Wow, as scary as that was though I bet that would have been really cool to see, one of those times a camera would have been good to have on hand as you probably would have got some amazing pictures, on the subject of the tone in the song it's really cool, I can think of a few genres where the powertron + would go really well.
Those pickups have a wonderful clean sound and really aided that roland jazz chorus amp :) No one was filming because the project was under budgeted and stressfull. I ended up using the roland amp because the vintage 60s AC30 was humming so bad we couldnt get any good takes, but it became a blessing. Get those pickups

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Those pickups have a wonderful clean sound and really aided that roland jazz chorus amp :) No one was filming because the project was under budgeted and stressfull. I ended up using the roland amp because the vintage 60s AC30 was humming so bad we couldnt get any good takes, but it became a blessing. Get those pickups
I'm not digging the Lollar P90s in my Edwards LP and thought it might be a good idea to take 'em out and put a set of T-Armonds in. BuddyHollywood's idea now has become mine and your input has really added extra color.

The Edwards is like any LP and upgraded with CTS 500k pots.....aesthetically it is a great looking goldtop. Sound? Too heavy on the mids and always loved Les Pauls' original sounds when he had the Dynas/Dearmond???? concoction that were definitely not P90s in the Mary Ford days. But....

.......I'm loving all of my new boost/overdrive/distortion pedals and each have their own character (Catlinbread RAH from last year, Vertex SSS, ProCo RAT, J. Rockett Blue Note, & Keeley Aria) The range of use of that group is seemingly never ending but think that a T-Armond in the bridge with the 500k pots might just be too bright. Powertron+ in the bridge also?

Also interesting that your post is today's 3rd "hint" that came my way about pairing a Roland amp with the Brain preamp. I don't have the Jazz Chorus but have the BC Artist.

@BuddyHollywood ..... Please read above and let me know your thoughts. I'm glad I found this thread!!

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
I'm not digging the Lollar P90s in my Edwards LP and thought it might be a good idea to take 'em out and put a set of T-Armonds in. BuddyHollywood's idea now has become mine and your input has really added extra color.

The Edwards is like any LP and upgraded with CTS 500k pots.....aesthetically it is a great looking goldtop. Sound? Too heavy on the mids and always loved Les Pauls' original sounds when he had the Dynas/Dearmond???? concoction that were definitely not P90s in the Mary Ford days. But....

.......I'm loving all of my new boost/overdrive/distortion pedals and each have their own character (Catlinbread RAH from last year, Vertex SSS, ProCo RAT, J. Rockett Blue Note, & Keeley Aria) The range of use of that group is seemingly never ending but think that a T-Armond in the bridge with the 500k pots might just be too bright. Powertron+ in the bridge also?

Also interesting that your post is today's 3rd "hint" that came my way about pairing a Roland amp with the Brain preamp. I don't have the Jazz Chorus but have the BC Artist.

@BuddyHollywood ..... Please read above and let me know your thoughts. I'm glad I found this thread!!

While I don't have T'Armonds I know how great they sound and I had my Gretsch Dynasonics wound to similar specs. The bridge pickup actually sounds really good like a big and bold Telecaster bridge pickup. It's taken me this long to finally decide to install the Power'Tron Plus because the Duo Jet sounds really good as it is. I don't usually swap pickups if they already sound great. What I've discovered through self analysis (D'oh!) is that because I don't want to mess with the Duo Jet that I build other guitars to cover the ground I wish the Duo Jet covered but those other guitars don't have the tone of the Duo Jet that I love. TV Jones pickups, while not super expensive, are not cheap either. However, if I would have spent the money on them from the beginning I may have saved money buying other guitars or parts to build other guitars that I really don't need. What I really wanted from the beginning was the best sounding humbucker in the bridge position and the best sounding single coil in the neck position. That suits my playing style and what I want to get out of an electric guitar. The journey to get back to the start can be fun though!

Are you thinking of a Power'Tron Plus with a T'Armond in the neck for your Edwards Les Paul? I would personally love that. I think Les Paul woud have loved that!

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
While I don't have T'Armonds I know how great they sound and I had my Gretsch Dynasonics wound to similar specs. The bridge pickup actually sounds really good like a big and bold Telecaster bridge pickup. It's taken me this long to finally decide to install the Power'Tron Plus because the Duo Jet sounds really good as it is. I don't usually swap pickups if they already sound great. What I've discovered through self analysis (D'oh!) is that because I don't want to mess with the Duo Jet that I build other guitars to cover the ground I wish the Duo Jet covered but those other guitars don't have the tone of the Duo Jet that I love. TV Jones pickups, while not super expensive, are not cheap either. However, if I would have spent the money on them from the beginning I may have saved money buying other guitars or parts to build other guitars that I really don't need. What I really wanted from the beginning was the best sounding humbucker in the bridge position and the best sounding single coil in the neck position. That suits my playing style and what I want to get out of an electric guitar. The journey to get back to the start can be fun though!

Are you thinking of a Power'Tron Plus with a T'Armond in the neck for your Edwards Les Paul? I would personally love that. I think Les Paul woud have loved that!
Thanks for the input Buddy and I definitely get where you're coming from on the swapping out of pickups and have never done that with any of my guitars. BUT.....I love the Duo Jet and really love Les Paul's earlier sound with his pickups in his early Gibson LPs which lead me this past hear wanting Dynas in my Edwards LP.

I love the "richness" of great neck only tone....especially in a Tele or Strat. My not caring for the tone of the Lollars in my Edwards LP was easy for me to want the Dynas swapped in there. A few that I have spoken too about it all recommended T-Armonds for the Edwards. Then I saw this thread, heard the sample Tavo provided and loved it!

In my recent acquisitions of some boost/gain/overdrive pedals, my tone world has really opened up. I love the PRS Vela but the neck is just too narrow for me at the nut so it solidified my decision on some pickup surgery on the Edwards.

With the solid mahogany of the Edwards paired with a T-Armond or Dyna in the neck and the Powertron Plus is now exactly what I'm leaning towards.

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
The Power'Tron Plus came yesterday. I installed it today and also put in a treble bleed. I noticed the treble bleed allows it to sound like a lower output Filtertron when I turn down the pickup's volume. I love this! My only concern with swapping the original rewound Dynasonic with the Power'Tron Plus was losing the great middle position Dynasonic tone but I'm already liking this combination even more. I also have a treble bleed on the neck pickup so there are almost infinite tone combinations between the two by adjusting the individual volumes. Both are hooked up to 1 meg CTS pots.

I know my excitement and enthusiasm over this is new but having the Power'Tron Plus in the bridge with a rewound, underwound Gretsch Dynasonic in the neck seems so natural for me. I really wish I would have done this 10 years ago when I first got the guitar. I would have saved a ton of money because I probably wouldn't have bought or built all the other guitars that have come since.
upload_2021-12-14_14-42-46.jpeg

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
Happy that it worked out for you @BuddyHollywood , am seriously considering powertrons in a jet too but won't get to that for awhile. Did you have the 1 meg pots in with the dynas? if so what were your thoughts on them as some people say they are a bit bright.

Yes I put the 1 megs in with the Dynasonics. I heard my friend's original 1955 Duo Jet and loved the sound. I then learned that the originals came with 1 meg pots so I installed them. They weren't too bright at all with my setup. They still have the same body as the 500 K pots but with some extra everything if that makes any sense.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Yes I put the 1 megs in with the Dynasonics. I heard my friend's original 1955 Duo Jet and loved the sound. I then learned that the originals came with 1 meg pots so I installed them. They weren't too bright at all with my setup. They still have the same body as the 500 K pots but with some extra everything if that makes any sense.
Yes I heard the same and have been contemplated doing that in my penguin with the pots as well to chase the more classic sound.
With the powertrons what would be your pick out of the powertron plus or the powertron in the bridge? do you feel there is a big difference between the two?

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
Yes I heard the same and have been contemplated doing that in my penguin with the pots as well to chase the more classic sound.
With the powertrons what would be your pick out of the powertron plus or the powertron in the bridge? do you feel there is a big difference between the two?

I have a Power'Tron in a Strat bridge position and it's great in there. The Plus feels just like the name. It has that little extra push in the mids. With the treble bleed I can get the same sound and output as a Power'Tron, a TV Classic or even less as I roll down the volume. I like the extra something the Power'Tron Plus delivers on full volume. It still has the highs and lows of a Filtertron but the mids are more raunchy like a good, clear PAF or even a P90. I discovered that I will be able to use the volume knob on the guitar for a boost instead of a pedal or an amp adjustment.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
The Power'Tron Plus came yesterday. I installed it today and also put in a treble bleed. I noticed the treble bleed allows it to sound like a lower output Filtertron when I turn down the pickup's volume. I love this! My only concern with swapping the original rewound Dynasonic with the Power'Tron Plus was losing the great middle position Dynasonic tone but I'm already liking this combination even more. I also have a treble bleed on the neck pickup so there are almost infinite tone combinations between the two by adjusting the individual volumes. Both are hooked up to 1 meg CTS pots.

I know my excitement and enthusiasm over this is new but having the Power'Tron Plus in the bridge with a rewound, underwound Gretsch Dynasonic in the neck seems so natural for me. I really wish I would have done this 10 years ago when I first got the guitar. I would have saved a ton of money because I probably wouldn't have bought or built all the other guitars that have come since.
View attachment 172340

Get a 500K push/pull pot for the powertron plus and you will have single coil option(tvjones wires them for this now)
. Its a really cool almost ricky sound on its own but middle position is very cool. I have a split bridge w my setzer sig and love the middle position like that more than how its supposed to be.

dokterbart

Electromatic
Aug 9, 2021
Amsterdam
THX, nice thread. I think about putting a powertron plus and a dearmond 2K in my
Gretsch G5259 Electromatic Special Jet if it doesn't sell on Reverb

These Dearmond 2K pickups are more like P90, while Dearmond 2000 or Dynasonic sound a bit like the early George Harrison

Latest posts