Pots, what can I use on a Streamliner 2420?

fanco84

Electromatic
Jan 23, 2022
Kansas
So I'm looking to replace the pots in my 2420 and have no clue what I can or can't use. I've heard before that it doesn't really matter, but as Abraham Lincoln once said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." I normally buy my stuff through guitar fetish but they only have prewired kits labelled for strats, teles, sg's, and lp's. Any ideas?

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
I just did the same thing with my 2420T (pictured in my profile). I highly recommend TV Jones - four audio taper 500K pots, If you want to continue to use the same knobs you can get the split shaft, otherwise I got the solid shaft pots and new nickel plated "G-Arrow" knobs.; .022uF capacitor; Treble Bleed kit for master volume. While you are there, look up their "tone pot harness" and use the wiring diagram shown.

Night and day difference for my 2420T.

fanco84

Electromatic
Jan 23, 2022
Kansas
I just did the same thing with my 2420T (pictured in my profile). I highly recommend TV Jones - four audio taper 500K pots, If you want to continue to use the same knobs you can get the split shaft, otherwise I got the solid shaft pots and new nickel plated "G-Arrow" knobs.; .022uF capacitor; Treble Bleed kit for master volume. While you are there, look up their "tone pot harness" and use the wiring diagram shown.

Night and day difference for my 2420T.
Very nice, did you leave the BT-2S pickups in? Looks like you did.

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit

Measure the actual kohms of the pots you have in the guitar.

Then think if you want the guitar brighter or darker or keep it the same.

If brighter, get pots that measure higher on the tolerance band than what you have, sort for lower readings if you want darker.

Pots have a 20% tolerance range min to max and it matters just like someone selecting '250k' or '5ook' pots. I've measured 90% of the allowable factory tolerance spread in as few as six pots ordered together.

Cap variation is smaller but can be important too, if you want to push the guitar tone around.

Pots and caps are big contributors to the old adage of buying guitars "go to the store and run the racks to find a good one!"

Any particular player may like one end of the spec parts better than the other end.