Pot values for Dynasonic

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Bigsbyguy, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Bigsbyguy

Bigsbyguy Electromatic

Jan 25, 2009
    New Mexico
    I’ve got a new Dynasonic for a single pup guitar. What’s the pot and cap values that work best?

2. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Electromatic

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    Here's what TV Jones uses: https://tvjones.com/tone-pot-harness/
    My modern Gretsch guitars with Dynas have 500K pots. I don't know the cap value. Some folks use 1 Meg pots and love them. I have never bothered. Best of luck.

Chmason85 likes this.
  3. Andrew6128

Andrew6128 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2019
    Japan, Tokyo
    Modern Dyna Gretsches have 500k audio all around with a 0.022uf cap on the tone pot.

Vintage usually 1 Megs all around with a 0.047uf cap on the tone. Or a 1 Meg Master with 500K volume pots and tone pot. I believe they also had resistors added as well, but I’m unsure.

You should decide solely on the build of the guitar, if it’s a tele then I wouldn’t be using 1 Megs lol.

Mellowcat likes this.
  4. Bigsbyguy

Bigsbyguy Electromatic

Jan 25, 2009
    New Mexico
    It’s an ES type with 1 P-90 in the middle. It looks like it’s gonna be a bit narrow. I may have to fashion a mounting ring. 1 megs gonna be pretty bright, no?

5. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    The T Armonds in my Pro Jet are just spliced into the original harness for the old mini- buckers which has 500k pots. Tone cap is either 0.022uf or 0.047uf, can't remember.
    In any case it sounds great, plenty bright for my ears.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I like 250K pots with T-Armonds. BUT... I'm NEVER looking for that bright "Chet jangle", I like things rounder the that.

And, in my Hot Rod, I put in a 250K vol pot, regardless of pickups type, because that actually makes it sound more like the regular 6120s with the more involved wiring harness... I actually don't like the extra "zing" the Hot Rods have, I bought mine because is was candy apple red lol.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Vintage Gretsches had an elaborate wiring schematic with enough capacitance to roll the highs down plus they used resistors. For a single Dyna I think 500K with .022uf might do it. .047 is a vintage “correct” value but gets really overly dark quick. YMMV etc.

8. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Everything I've found on the dynasonic pickups indicate it's a single coil . Single coils use 250k pots and the cap is a .047 . Just like a Fender single coil . If what I found is wrong and it's a bucker , use 500k pots and .022uf caps.

9. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    I put 500K in my 6120 DS with TV T-Armonds and like them a little better than the original 250K. The difference is subtle, but they are just a tiny bit brighter. I found the T-Armonds were just a little on the dark side with the 250K pots.

Andrew6128 likes this.
  10. Andrew6128

Andrew6128 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2019
    Japan, Tokyo
    Dynas are wound pretty hot, and they’re much more related to a P-90 pickup then your typical fender style single coils.

250K pots in a ES build with a Dyna will be MUD, even considering it’ll be a 1 pickup build with no load.
    If I was OP, I’d try out a 500K pot to start with.

Pine Apple Slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.