Pop/Rock Songs Featuring Mandolins

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Marty is a mando monster! He's been at it for awhile.
    In proper Bluegrass style, four guys are sharing a single mike.
    His band has really earned their name---The Fabulous Superlatives!
    Too bad I can only give this just one like.

freddyfingers, drmilktruck and G5422T like this.
  3. Aussie5622

Aussie5622 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    I imagine this will be rarely heard out of Australia:

Gypsy Queen by Country Radio - a classic mandolin song, I try to emulate with 12 string ac-elec and capo on a ~ 7F.

But it’s one of the principle songs, along with Maggie Mae and Just a Dream, that make want to buy a mandolin one day .
    What concerns me is the string spacing - they look very tight! And I struggle with 6 and 12 strings! (Bass hands?)

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Trailpro

Trailpro Electromatic

Apr 11, 2019
    St Petersburg, FL
    Back in the High Life: Steve Winwood

wabash slim and drmilktruck like this.
  5. ooglybong

ooglybong Electromatic

Apr 7, 2011
    NY
    McGuinness Flint, great, creative U.K. band from the early '70s and "When I'm Dead and Gone", their best-known "hit" from their great debut album. Mandolin driving the show right from the get-go! Remastered...

FYI: "McGuiness Flint was an early example of a "supergroup". The lineup was Tom McGuiness (ex-Manfred Mann), Hughie Flint (former drummer with John Mayall), singer-songwriters Gallagher and Lyle along with vocalist Dennis Coulson. This was their debut single and peaked at #2 in the UK charts in 1970. The follow up made #5, but their sound was difficult to reproduce live on stage and their concerts were often disappointing. The sudden success proved too much for the group and slowly, they disbanded."

A somewhat lesser sounding video but it's got lyrics if yer interested...

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Fat Man - Jethro Tull

A christmas song - Jethro Tull

(Ian Anderson was one of the reasons I play mandolin)

Ry Cooder - Jesse James

Ry Cooder - about another dozen

(Levon Helm has already been mentioned)

both Ry and Levon were reasons I picked up mandolin

Check out Punch Bros, 'I blew it off'' a magnificent pop song (though they are a bluegrass configuration)

Dean Town - Vulfpeck - featuring Chris Thile on mandolin - Live at Madison Square Garden.

I love the mandolin...

If you like jazz - try Jethro Burns, David Grisman, Don Stiernberg, Jason Anick...

Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  7. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How could I have forgotten Jethro Tull!?!? Or Ry Cooder!?!?!
    Check out Sam Bush, too. He was with New Grass Revival. Bluegrass that edged onto jazz.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh I know Sam bush. https://www.toppermost.co.uk/sam-bush/

i wrote that one. Plus new grass revival.

love me some Sam.

wabash slim and drmilktruck like this.
  9. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I love playing my 1977 (lawsuit era) Ibanez Mandolin! To me, it's like every acoustic guitar song needs to have a mandolin somewhere in the mix. :cool:

Check out "Evangeline" by The Band w/ Emmylou Harris from the famous concert "The Last Waltz"
    Edit: One of the main reasons why they were called "The Band" -- every member was a multi-instrumentalist and could literally play anything.

drmilktruck and dlew919 like this.
  10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Completely forgot about this one too, but it came up in my song shuffle today-- just a great album overall. With the great Davey Johnstone handling mandolin duty.

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Speaking of Elton the opening track to captain fantastic snd the brown dirt cowboy.

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yank Rachel wrote "Who Caught The KATY" on a mando. That's the opening song in the Blues Brothers movie. KATY was a railroad in Texas.

dlew919 and drmilktruck like this.
  13. O Riley

O Riley Synchromatic

~ I hate being late to the party. Here's some classy Jimmy ~

~~ LYRICS ~~

Queen of light took her bow And then she turned to go, The prince of peace embraced the gloom And walked the night alone. Oh, dance in the dark of night, Sing to the morn - ing light. The dark lord rides in force tonight And time will tell us all. Oh, throw down your plow and hoe, Rest not to lock your homes. Side by side we wait the might Of the darkest of them all. I hear the horses' thunder Down in the valley blow, I'm waiting for the angels of avalon, Waiting for the eastern glow. The apples of the valley hold, The seas of happiness, The ground is rich from tender care, Repay, do not forget, no, no. Oh,-------dance in the dark of night, Sing to the morning light. The apples turn to brown and black, the tyrant's face is red. Oh the war is common cry, pick up you swords and fly. The sky is filled with good and bad That mortals never know. Oh, well, the night is long, the beads of time pass slow, Tired eyes on the sunrise, waiting for the eastern glow. The pain of war cannot exceed The woe of aftermath, The drums will shake the castle wall, The ring wraiths ride in black, ride on. Sing as you raise your bow, Shoot straighter than before. No comfort has the fire at night That lights the face so cold. Oh dance in the dark of night, Sing to the mornin' light. The magic runes are writ in gold To bring the balance back, bring it back. At last the sun is shining, the clouds of blue roll by, With flames from the dragon of darkness The sunlight blinds his eyes.
    Songwriters: Plant Robert, Page Jimmy

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Aussie5622 and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.